Normal Topic I'm thinking I should say "no" to everyt (Read 2764 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box ScaredSenseless
New User

I'm thinking I should say "no" to everyt
Mar 1st, 2005 at 4:07am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Yikes. I'm taking a poly for a "city" part time job in a few days, and I've been on this website and others and reading the book "Deception Detection".  I would love to pass this test, and it's just a screening that I don't think they put much stock into because they're willing to let me start working for them before I even take the test. The job is mine if I pass it, because it was offered to me straight out, but if they'd told me about the poly then I would have passed on it.  Now I have a friend counting on me to come help him at the office, doing a job I'm perfect for.

Here's the rub.  Even though, for the past 5 years or so, I've really been lily white, I've had a pretty hard childhood and some rough times and I've done things I'm not proud of.  A few drugs, more pot,  and stealing, but I never hurt anyone, no violence or anything like that. But once, the stealing was larger than $100 worth.

I have really agonized over my actions and I'm quite ashamed of myself, asked for forgiveness and help.   

I put down on the application that I never did drugs or smoked dope. 

I think I can do the countermeasures but should I cop to ANYTHING at this point?  I'm even worried about the "are you planning to lie to me " question I read that someone else posted.  I feel like saying "no" to everything or just bowing out of this.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Wheelman
New User

Re: I'm thinking I should say "no" to ev
Reply #1 - Mar 1st, 2005 at 3:20pm
You do not say how long ago these events occured. 
If you've been offered the position, they obviously like and trust you. My suggestion is trust them to understand that kids do dumb things. The agency where I work will make certain allowances for misdeeds of the past.
Good luck

Without truth, there is no honor.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #2 - Mar 1st, 2005 at 10:17pm
Thank you.  I am going to turn this opportunity down, because these things did not happen all very long ago.  Most of them did, but some it was just 5 years. 

It's just a karma thing, I think, that I messed up in my life and this is how I pay for it.  Bummer.  I can't lie so much as I would have to do to pass this test. My stress was so high I even got crabby.

Instead, I will help my friend for free until he finds someone to hire.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #3 - Mar 1st, 2005 at 10:27pm
Why not tell them the truth. That the polygraph is a ration of BS and you will not get involved in such tripe. However, if you want to hire me on my qualifications, then it's a deal. That is if you want the job. If you get turned down, tell them that you couldn't work for any organization that believes in that nonsense anyway.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #4 - Mar 1st, 2005 at 10:45pm
Boy if it were only that easy, but it's GOVERNMENT and they can still make you do this.

It's too bad that something like this is not forgiving when you've really changed your life and are making a difference in your community but this one block keeps you from going any further with it.

One door closes, can't say I don't deserve it.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #5 - Mar 2nd, 2005 at 12:00am
ScaredSenseless

Is this a LE job? As far as I know LE is about the only city or county government that requires a poly.

I live in a fairly large city and know people that works in city, county and state government. None of them had to take a poly. One works in the records department of the city legal system and she didn't have to take a poly.

As scared and nervous as you are, you could be lily clean, tell the truth and not pass a poly.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, it's the government  - so what!! You will, likely, never work for them anyway if they require a poly so it's a chance to tell them what they can do with their little machine and it's operator.

I could never have been a goverment employee. I have to much ambition and drive for government service and also more intelligence than is required.

IP Logged

I'm thinking I should say "no" to everyt

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X