Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Must Read...Failed Poly (Read 14433 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box neogeo
New User

Must Read...Failed Poly
Dec 14th, 2004 at 8:04am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I took my poly last week for law enforcement pre-screening at a relatively large police department.  Wow, what a nightmare!  I guess being truthful just doesn't cut it.  Before the actual in-test phase I was given a brief lecture about how the poly works and the involuntary, uncontrollable things that your body does when you lie.  What a crock of shit.  During the in test phase the polygrapher told me that I was moving (although I wasn't) and I continued to sit still.  He also told me that I held my breath (which I didn't).  We ran the 3 charts and he came back in and told me that my charts were all over the place.  He said that my heart was jumping all over the place, and he said that I was moving throughout the exam.  He must have asked me 5 or 6 times about my movement in the post-test to which I answered "No, I was not moving."  Then he removed all the gear from me and told me that there was nothing I could do.  I have since heard from my background investigator and he said that the polygrapher wrote that I was moving all over the place, I was playing games, and I was uncooperative.  Plus I was insulted as well.  I don't know what kind of operation they're running, but it seems like they had it in for me from the start.  And the kicker is that this report will be sent to another agency I have applied to.  Now I can truly understand the b.s. and the broken dreams associated with the poly.  I hope that nobody else would have to go through what I went through, but I know that this is not reasonable.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Must Read...Failed Poly
Reply #1 - Dec 14th, 2004 at 9:32am
I'm sorry to read of your unfortunate experience. Be sure to contest the polygrapher's conclusions in writing. You might want to include in your letter a request that the letter be added to your file.

Unfortunately, other people will undoubtedly go through the same experience you did. But by working to publicly expose the polygraph for the fraud that it is, we can hasten the day that it is ultimately abolished.

Public education is key if we are to end polygraph screening. If you participate in any other message boards, please consider posting a link to AntiPolygraph.org (http://antipolygraph.org) when the subject of polygraphs comes up. By helping with our Campus Poster Initiative (not necessarily limited to college campuses) you can help spread the word to thousands of people with a minimum of time and expense. For additional ideas, see our Get Involved page.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box newstart
New User

Reply #2 - Dec 14th, 2004 at 6:42pm
Sorry, that really sucks. I have one coming up and I hope mine doesnt go the same way.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box wannabe12
New User

Reply #3 - Dec 20th, 2004 at 4:17am
[color=Maroon][/color]Hello, I feel your pain. I recently took the polygraph for the police and had some questionable responses. I know I never commited a crime or did drugs, but for some reason I still did not have a clean poly. I was scared to death! I still made it to the interview process, but I  am worried about that too

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Maddawg65
New User

Reply #4 - Dec 31st, 2004 at 12:23am
Hello,

Sorry to hear of your experience.  I had a similar one this past year.

I am 39 and changing careers to law enforcement.  No criminal record ,no drug usage, no alchohol usage.

I took a polygraph with a fairly large PD (500 officers). It cost me a lot to go to this test at my own expense since I was out of state.  The polygrapher did similar things e.g. the "Don't Move!"   

If these things are so darm accurate then movement breathing and the lot should be irrelevant.

First of all, you are in an artificial environment.  Your blood pressure is increased artificially,  your breathing is restricted artificially, you are not allowed to make natural movements, and you are told to stare at a wall for 20+ minutes.  That sounds like real science to me. Not!

How can a scientific method be applied when their "Control Group" is not natural.

It is like sticking a plant in a dark closet, vacuuming out the area and coming back in a few days to find it wilted and say. Hmmmm, this plant must have been sick.

Anyway, a few days later I got a letter in the mail stating that I PASSED the polygraph and psychological exams.

Over 2 weeks after the exam, I got a call stating that they made a "mistake" (I thought they didn't make mistakes) and that I had failed the polygraph exam.  They wouldn't say why. After several weeks of pressuring for an answer, I received a letter that totally ignored the fact that the first letter existed.

Since that time, this PD is in damage control mode.   

I hope it is some comfort to you to let you know taht you are not alone.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box 19
New User

Reply #5 - Jan 3rd, 2005 at 6:11am
I have taken 6 polys and 3 cvsa's for police jobs and they all vary.
I past them all but everyone of them always seem to hit on some question. It was never the same either. One was on drugs the other on battery another was for theft and another for sex. No matter where you take it they always try to get you to admit something. Just relax listen to the question and stand by your answer. Pick something to mentally focus on a phrase a crack on the wall or ceiling what ever. Just keep your mind occupied on something other than the examiner and his interogative questions and of course be honest. Most of us in law enforcement aren't angels anyway we are human. Don't give up all is not lost just cause one agency cycled you out does not mean the rest will. It takes alot of tries before you land a good one.  8)Hope this helps and good luck to you all

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Variable06
New User

Reply #6 - Jan 13th, 2005 at 6:33am
Ill share a quick and very similar experience with you all. I recently (late fall 04) was finishing my application process for a federal law enforcement agency and made it all the way to the poly.  I had to take the polygraph on 2 different occasions.  Both times were "inconclusive".  Here's the kicker...The examiner, who by the way was the same person both times, accused me of having reactions to different questions the second time.   The first exam I "had a strong reaction" to the question regarding "contact with foreign intelligence agencies" , and the second exam it was "not being truthful on my application".  How I was treated on both occasions is also a matter of contention with me.  The first was nothing but intimidation and guilt trips.  The gentleman would make sighing questions off and on during my exam and generally made me feel uncomfortable.  The second, and the same examiner mind you, was very cordial and friendly.  Im sure he didnt remember mebut still...I wont get into my views on the validity of these tests, you all I believe of a very similar opinion.  The worst part for me is yet to come.  For my job we have recently been notified that all our work will be classified top secret as of the end of february, and we all need to apply for clearances......<enter appropriate curse word here>.  Sorry to hear that so many are having problems similar if not worse to mine.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #7 - Jan 14th, 2005 at 6:40am
Variable06,

It may come as no surprise to you that the Department of Defense Polygraph Institute has studiously avoided doing any meaningful research into the test/re-test reliablity of CQT polygraphy. Were double-blind studies to be undertaken, there can be little doubt but that the results be devastating to the credibility of the polygraph community -- and they know it.

If the top secret clearance you and your co-workers need to apply for requires polygraph screening, you might consider sharing the information available on AntiPolygraph.org with your colleagues. If you're concerned that doing so might bring you unwanted attention, there are ways to do so anonymously, for example, by e-mail through an anonymous remailer (you'll find one with a web interface here) or by placing any of AntiPolygraph.org's posters in appropriate locations.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box kbell03
New User

Reply #8 - Jan 23rd, 2005 at 8:36am
I am sorry to hear that but I also failed one given by the georgia bureau of invesstigation i thought this was the most unprofessional person I have ever met.  I was tested because of theft of money in a jail I worked at. The first thing the examiner said to me was "you know you did it so jsut go ahead and admit it now because you just ruined your career over 360.00 dollars". I was also any answer that I failed on out of ten questions that automatically made me failed the whole test.  I had an idea who took it and one of the quetions was "do you know where the money or any parts of the money is?"  the guy I assumed took it had just came to  work with all new clothes on the day before.  and he asked if I had ever told a lie to someone I loved, I thought that was none of his business so I told him no.  I had just told my mom that everything was okay on my job so that she wouldn't worry being in another state that same morning. so between the anger I felt from being accused by the examiner when i walked through the door and the question I knew that I lied about I failed.... but the job didn't fired me for that they waited until I did something else then fired me year later.....

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box confusednow
New User

Reply #9 - Jun 18th, 2005 at 5:06pm
so you lied on a control question (as you apparantly should) and still failed?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Deputydog
New User

Reply #10 - Jun 19th, 2005 at 10:02pm
confused,
you definately need to read the book!! No where will it say to lie on a control question! You don't have to lie to cause a response to a control question. You won't GET IT until you download the book.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #11 - Jun 20th, 2005 at 12:37am
The spirit of the relevant section of the book, as I understand it, is to provide instruction on how to artificially enhance your reaction to control questions to improve your chances of passing the "test."  While some people will use this knowledge to get away with telling a lie, the INTENT of the book is to allow someone who is telling the truth to lower their chances of being branded "deceptive" even when they are telling the complete truth.

The issue most people have with the polygraph is not that deceptive people are getting caught, it is that honest people are being accused of deception and subsequently "failing" their polygraph exams.  The countermeasures detailed in TLBTLD are intended to address the latter.   

Law enforcement/government agencies that choose to utilize a "test" which can be defeated after a few minutes of reading and practicing breath control should be required to do some real investigative work instead.  Relying on polygraph exams, palm reading, or phrenology instead of actual investigations is ridiculous.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Deputydog
New User

Reply #12 - Jun 20th, 2005 at 5:12am
well said Sergeant

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box hwsternfan
User

Reply #13 - Jun 21st, 2005 at 12:46pm
Quote:
I don't know what kind of operation they're running, but it seems like they had it in for me from the start.

They just use the polygraph to eliminate who they don't want.  It doesn't detect shyte!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box importscout
New User

Reply #14 - Jul 13th, 2005 at 8:05pm
I too was accused of moving, It was very challenging to sit absolutely still while hideously uncomfortable in a wooden chair staring at a blank wall.  Using polygraphy junk science, he probably read my slight movements in my neck and back as being a 'squirming deceptor.'  He also told me that he I should lean back and close my eyes, which I felt would add more impact to his words, but he allowed me to keep my eyes open. 

He was a hardnosed a-hole, but the funny thing was that this fellow had been doing this for so long, that he didn't pull it off genuinely.  It was obvious that he was faking it.

I'm not convinced that honesty is the best policy, because it will not satisfy your interrogator.  For example, no matter how many times you say you smoked weed, he will ask you if you smoked it more.  No matter how many minor thefts you've committed, he'll as you if you stole more.  The more I read the book and this message board, the more I understand that the poly tests your poly skills and nothing else, and that 'truthefulness' is a dangerous thing to put your faith in.

IP Logged

Must Read...Failed Poly

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X