Normal Topic The other website. (Read 4338 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box yatittle
Senior User

The other website.
Nov 30th, 2004 at 3:28am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Well, I wondered on over to the anti-anti-polygraph site and looked around. I have to say it's really something to see the amount of trust a group of people have in the 'science' of polygraphy.

The fact that some people feel a machine can detect deception, disguised as 'reactions' and discern those 'reactions' from normal feelings of anxiousness about very serious questions, is astonishing.

But objectively, my own opinions and interpretations of what I have read here and there aside, I'm left in the middle as to if the act of polygraphy does more harm than good. It is probably based in 50/50 assumptions, but it does get people to admit to things they wouldn't normally admit to. Things that those who are doing the testing deem important to know, before making important decisions.

And the harm I speak of is that where people are falsy accused of things and fail the test accordingly.  Maybe those are the cost of the 'just-in-time' admissions?

Maybe it should be called the 'Admissiongraph'.

hmph.

Randy

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Smitty
Ex Member

Re: The other website.
Reply #1 - Nov 30th, 2004 at 9:36pm
Randy,

My problem with polygraphs is they don't seem to work, but major decisions are made using these machines.  I was totally honest and failed anyway.  It is/was unfair to lose out on a dream job because of this.  It is like being robbed of something that you cannot get back.

But I don't think anyone should be deliberately dishonest.  That is contemptable.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box gelb disliker
Senior User

Re: The other website.
Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2005 at 8:50am
   Polygraph is a game played by examiners to make sure that you lose.  The fact that you sit in their chair, answer their inane questions, just shows them who has the power.  You know in your heart, that you answered truthfully but they still want to hear otherwise.  So they goad you and goad you into answering differently.  They'll be persistant until you lie to them.
   Seems to me that they all seem to be connected with the FBI, CIA or some government agency to give them credibility.   There's more against you than for you when you give in to a polygraph examination.   Read Mr. Maschke's book; "The lie behind the lie detector test" and arm yourself if you ever "have" to take a polygraph exam.   They play the game without rules and you should too.

IP Logged

The other website.

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X