Normal Topic Background Investigation Question/Need Advice!! (Read 6773 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dsm0507
Ex Member

Background Investigation Question/Need Advice!!
Sep 4th, 2004 at 6:20pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I have a question about the FBI background investigation. I sat for the PSI yesterday for the Intelligence Analyst position. Everything went great, however, I made the mistake of revealing that I "casually dated" a co-worker for a year while she was separated. This occurred 5 years ago. She is now a very close friend and ONLY a close friend. And she has a 4 year old daughter. I put her down as a reference and made the connection to the agent. When I was asked if her husband knew, I responded that I didn't know. After talking to my friend after the PSI, she said that he does not know and if he found out our friendship is over. I do not want to lose a close friend and fail the BI or poly and lose this job. The agent said that my forthcoming was good and that's what they look for and that this will not cause a problem for me. My questions are this...  will the FBI question my friend's husband about me? He is not on the FD140. If so, will they reveal or ask specific questions about my dating his wife years ago? I told my friend to talk to the FBI away from her family when they call her to set up an interview. It's ok if they ask her about it. Its not ok if they ask him. How does the FBI conduct these interviews? Do they go to her house or are they flexible in the location? Would I send many red flags if I try to change my references? She is extremely angry at me for mentioning this to them. Rightfully so...  What do I do? Should I worry? Please advice.  ???

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Re: Background Investigation Question/Need Advice!
Reply #1 - Sep 4th, 2004 at 6:28pm
I wish I could give you a straight up answer, but the fact of the matter is that this depends entirely on the Background Investigator.  He/she may or may not want to talk to this man.   

They don't only talk to the references you list, in fact they actually get a few more references from the original references and talk to them as well.  This is obvious as one would usually only put down people who would talk well about them on the background form, thus they ask your references for other people that know you in hopes that this may lead them to someone that has something negative to say about you.

It has been my experience that the BI's are usually VERY flexible if they are not pressed for time, so they may arrange to meet with her away from her house.

I honestly wouldn't worry too much about them contacting the man in question, however, when you leave things in the hands of a human you never really know what to expect.

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 4th, 2004 at 6:39pm
Thanks for the advice. That helps. The agent mentioned they want to hire 1000+ for this office within a month so the BI will proceed rather quickly once it starts. If they ask her for more references, she will list other people and not her husband. Everyone who knows me or has known me will talk well about me.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Reply #3 - Sep 6th, 2004 at 4:05am
Dear DSM0507,

The BI is trying to create dots that he/she can complete to offer to a superior who who perform the adjudication to your file.  Your coming forth with any information during your PSI interview which you originally omitted by mistake, oversight, or pre-meditated omission is acceptable.  They do realize that everyone has people who do not like them for whatever reason.  Trying to omit or hide negative information from an investigation is far more likely to raise red flags which cannot be lowered than statements which can eventually be adjudicated.

It can be a brutal process and far more intrusive than any mortgage loan application in which its seems the bank wants to know everything about you and then some.

Regards.

IP Logged

Ex Member

Reply #4 - Sep 6th, 2004 at 4:28pm
Fair Chance,

Thanks for the reply. Will the background investigator reveal to anyone (including my friend's husband) what I said in the PSI? I don't mind the intrusiveness of the BI and I know that I will pass it. I just do not want the investigator to reveal what I mentioned in the PSI to that guy... or to anyone else. If they do that, I will lose a very close friend. I do not want that to happen. I signed a privacy statement. Wouldn't that disallow them from talking? They gather information, but does that include disclosing some so they can get more? 

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Reply #5 - Sep 7th, 2004 at 3:28am
Dear DSM0507,

The BI will rarely say "he says, she says."  They will fish for answers based on facts that they know or want to know.  Most are very professional and have seen and heard more than they want to know.  

For every "secret" you do not want to let out, they have heard far worse.  It is not their job to make a decision, just to provide enough information for someone else to come to a conclusion.

Rarely does an investigator reveal his/her "sources." 

I am sorry I cannot offer a conclusive answer but as DIMAS has stated, "humans are subject to human failings (including investigators and adjudicator)."

Regards and good luck.

IP Logged

Background Investigation Question/Need Advice!!

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X