Normal Topic Cephos Corporation (Read 3502 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Cephos Corporation
Jul 29th, 2004 at 3:49pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
The Cephos Corporation is a new company that is attempting to develop and commercialize a lie detector using functional MRI brain imaging and analysis. The company was highlighted in an article by Jonathan Maze in today's Charleston Post and Courier titled, "MRIs may be more accurate than polygraphs, researchers say":

Quote:

MRIs may be more accurate than polygraphs, researchers say
BY JONATHAN MAZE
Of The Post and Courier Staff

Inspired by spies and sleuths, researchers believe they have uncovered a better way to discover a cover-up.

Looking at pictures of the brain using magnetic resonance imaging, researchers at the Medical University of South Carolina found certain parts of the brain are more active when a person is lying.

In a study to be published in next month's issue of Behavioral Neuroscience, the researchers say the results of their experiments could serve as the basis for a new lie detector that is more accurate than the ever-controversial polygraph test. Deceit, the researchers believe, is associated with increased blood flow in particular areas of the brain.

"The Holy Grail is to see whether you can break (the new test) down to see if Mr. Smith is lying today," said Dr. Mark George, director of the Center for Advanced Imaging Research at the university, who worked on the study with lead researcher Dr. Andrew Kozel. "That is where this is headed right now."

If it takes off, those behind the discovery expect to sell their fib-detecting technology to lawyers and law enforcement agencies.

While still preliminary, a company has been formed to take the research to market. Cephos was started in January by a Johns Hopkins University graduate and funded with $5 million from venture capitalists out of New England.

The company's founder, Steve Laken, believes the MRI approach offers an edge over the polygraph, which in many instances is not admissible in court. For the MRI-based test to be marketable, it would have to be accurate enough to be allowed as evidence.

"We see this being used by civil and criminal litigators to bolster their case," said Laken, Cephos' chief science officer.

How long it takes to bring a new lie detector to market will depend on the results of the next series of studies on individuals. Laken could not provide a time frame. He did indicate there is interest in a new test, especially among those involved in defending or prosecuting white-collar criminals.

Whether a new and more accurate lie detector would be admitted in court is another question.

Paul Gibson, a North Charleston attorney and former president of the state Trial Lawyers Association, has doubts. Gibson believes the polygraph test, when administered correctly, is often more accurate than some of the expert testimony that is admitted in court, such as handwriting analysis and testimony on bite marks -- testimony that often is contradicted by the other side's experts.

While judges can admit the results of a lie-detector test, Gibson said they often are reluctant to do so because it takes the decision of a case out of a jury's hands.

"The courts are much more comfortable leaving the determination of who is lying or telling the truth to the jury rather than a battle of experts," Gibson said.

The polygraph measures a person's anxiety. It tests blood pressure, respiratory activity and perspiration, on the theory the anxiety level is higher when a person lies.

According to the American Polygraph Association, the polygraph is accurate 87.5 percent of the time. Yet its accuracy has long been under fire by critics who say it often misses people's lies.

Recently, the National Science Foundation said it couldn't find evidence to support the use of the polygraph to detect deception.

"There are people who lie easily and don't get anxious," George said. "And there are people who get anxious even when telling the truth and get falsely accused."

An MRI-based test would show brain activity when a person is lying, which researchers believe will be a more accurate determination.

The genesis of the idea came about a decade ago, when George, then working at the National Institutes of Health in Washington, D.C., was asked by the CIA to explore whether the MRI could detect lies.

At the time, research on the brain and imaging studies weren't advanced to the point where George felt comfortable with following through on the request. But the idea stuck with him, and as work on the brain advanced, it resurfaced.

Led by Kozel, who presented his findings Wednesday at the annual meeting of the American Psychological Association in Honolulu, researchers asked 11 adults to tell the truth or lie while an MRI scanned their brain.

Before the scanning began, the subjects visited a room where they were told to locate and leave in place $50 bills under two of six objects in the room. As they were scanned, the subjects were asked where the $50 bills were and told to lie or tell the truth.

If told to lie, the subjects were given the incentive of an additional $50 if one of the researchers could not tell when they were lying.

Researchers found that five regions of the brain, parts believed to be related to deception, show activity when a person is lying.

George said a lie is not a normal response, so a person is not performing normal activities while fibbing. "Telling a lie is a more complex act than telling the truth," he said.

The bottom line? Researchers were able to detect when nine of the 11 test subjects tried to tell a lie.

Jonathan Maze covers health care and nonprofits. Reach him at 937-5719 or jmaze@postandcourier.com.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box I-SMELL-BS

Re: Cephos Corporation
Reply #1 - Jul 30th, 2004 at 2:43am
Quote:
The Cephos Corporation is a new company that is attempting to develop and commercialize a lie detector using functional MRI brain imaging and analysis. The company was highlighted in an article by Jonathan Maze in today's Charleston Post and Courier titled, "MRIs may be more accurate than polygraphs, researchers say":

Drew Richardson is a shill for this company - which explains why he makes statements about how inaccurate the polygraph is.  Why don't you take this test George, maybe you can prove you aren't a liar at last!  (I don't think so!!!!)

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Reply #2 - Jul 30th, 2004 at 5:30am
Quote:

Drew Richardson is a shill for this company - which explains why he makes statements about how inaccurate the polygraph is.  Why don't you take this test George, maybe you can prove you aren't a liar at last!  (I don't think so!!!!)

ISBS,

Wrong company dude. I guess truth isn't your strong suit.

-Marty

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Jul 30th, 2004 at 11:29am
Quote:
Drew Richardson is a shill for this company - which explains why he makes statements about how inaccurate the polygraph is.  Why don't you take this test George, maybe you can prove you aren't a liar at last!  (I don't think so!!!!)

ISBS,

As Marty pointed out, Dr. Richardson does not work for Cephos Corporation: he's a scientist with Brain Fingerprinting Laboratories, a fact you should have known, since you mentioned it in a post dated 6 June 2004:

Quote:
But the primary reason Drew is now so antipolygraph is because he is in business with the manufacturers of the "Brain Fingerprinting" lie detector machine that he hopes will replace the polygrah.  Follow the money......he is simply trying to show the polygraph needs to be replaced by the machines he hopes to sell.

Dr. Richardson's reply to you then bears repeating here:

Quote:
My employment  with Brain Fingerprinting did not occur until roughly a decade after I first raised the concerns I have about probable lie control question test (PLCQT) polygraphy.  And even now, that which I have repeatedly and largely expressed misgivings regarding is the use of the PLCQT for various screening applications.  I find these to be nothing but completely invalid fishing expeditions with absolutely no theoretical basis for practice and one(s) causing to harm to individuals, various agencies, and the nation alike.  I can assure you as long as I have any association with Brain Fingerprinting Laboratories, Brain Fingerprinting will never be used as a general screening tool, for lie detection, or any other questionable and/or invalid pursuits and accordingly will never make a single dime from any such activity.

My reply to you then also bears repeating:

Quote:
Your contention is refuted not only by the fact that Dr. Richardson's criticism of CQT polygraphy pre-dates his association with Brain Fingerprinting Laboratories by years, but also by the fact that when he first made these criticisms, he did so against his career interests with the FBI. Indeed, the FBI retaliated against him for his candor, among other things prohibiting from testifying in court on polygraph matters, despite his eminent qualification to do so.

Your scurrilous attack on Dr. Richardson's motives seemingly stems from an inability to refute his arguments with facts and reason.

Moreover, Dr. Richardson's criticisms of polygraphy have been confirmed by the National Academy of Sciences' Committee to Review the Scientific Evidence on Polygraphs --  an independent panel of scientific experts whose members had no vested interest in polygraphy or any competing technology.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Cephos Corporation

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X