Normal Topic Re: 2nd Poly in a year (Read 3914 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box NeutralObserver

Re: 2nd Poly in a year
Jul 24th, 2004 at 4:37am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Daysleeper wrote on Jul 24th, 2004 at 4:21am:
I have been rehired by the FBI. I will need to do another polygraph. Knowing it's my second time around, will the polygrapher pull the same "BS" as the first time.

At the endof my first test, the polygrapher said my charts looked bad and I needed to come clean (Common BS). After going back/forth awhile he let me go. I did pass!!!

This second poly will be an update from my last. It will be a new polygrapher. Since he knows I did this before and passed (Just a year ago), will he still do the same BS!!! Thanks!

It could be worse this time.  The polygrapher may want to engage in a little one upsmanship.  He may want to show he is better than the first guy and that he can catch you when the other one couldn't.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box I-SMELL-BS

Reply #1 - Jul 24th, 2004 at 5:37am
Daysleeper wrote on Jul 24th, 2004 at 5:04am:
I never thought of that?? Would it be wise to inform the polygrapher that I do not wish to go through the BS (In a nice way) I went through before?

Shouldn't an updated poly be quicker then the first poly?? Thanks!

What makes you think you are in a position to "inform" the polygrapher what you want or don't want to do?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #2 - Jul 24th, 2004 at 6:50am
Daysleeper,

I don't think it would be wise to try to tell you polygrapher how to do his job. It would only create an unnecessarily adversarial relationship that can only work to your detriment.

You may wish to adopt what we call in The Lie Behind the Lie Detector the "complete honesty" approach and to tell your polygrapher that you've researched polygraphy and are now familiar with the methodology. If you choose this option, it would be best to be polite and not to come across as gloating over having discovered the little man behind the curtain. Be aware, however, that even politely telling your polygrapher that you've learned about polygraph procedure entails a risk that you'll be arbitrarily accused of deception and/or countermeasures.

The other option is to play along to get along. Normally, having previously passed an FBI polygraph just a year ago ought to be helpful the second time around. However, FBI polygraphers also read this message board. It's likely that at least one has already seen your post and saved it for circulation to colleagues on Monday. As a result of the detail you included in your post, any person(s) now in the process of being re-hired who were polygraphed about a year ago and don't admit to having researched polygraphy will likely be at an increased risk of being accused of countermeasure use. Thus, the "complete honesty" approach might be your best option at this point.

It is to be hoped that the FBI polygraph unit would have the "fidelity, bravery, and integrity" not to retaliate against you for having learned the truth about polygraphs.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Daysleeper
New User

Reply #3 - Jul 24th, 2004 at 7:32pm
George:

I don't think the FBI Poly Agent's would think CM's were being used? I say this becuase you can refer to the applicant's first poly charts. That would tell if someone is not being truthful?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #4 - Jul 28th, 2004 at 4:16pm
Daysleeper wrote on Jul 24th, 2004 at 7:32pm:
George:

I don't think the FBI Poly Agent's would think CM's were being used? I say this becuase you can refer to the applicant's first poly charts. That would tell if someone is not being truthful?

Daysleeper,

I'm not sure I understand what it is you're asking. Examination of polygraph charts does not reveal whether or not a person has been truthful. And the fact that the Bureau has previously polygraphed you is no guarantee that you won't be accused of attempted countermeasures this time around.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Reply #5 - Jul 29th, 2004 at 2:57pm
Dear NeutralObserver,

This one is tough.   The complete honesty approach might work with a polygraph examnier who does not have a chip on his shoulder.  On the other hand, there are so many applicants that the examiner would fail you just because of your knowledge of polygraphs.  This knowledge could threaten his job and influence others in the FBI once you are hired.  The "High Priest of Polygraph" do not want disbelievers hired because it would eventually call into question their value and prestige.

At the same time, anyone who is innocent of deception and failed will be upset and most probably try and research what went wrong.  I think most examiners assume that second polygraph examinees have done some research.

Like I stated, tough choice.

Regards.

IP Logged

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X