Normal Topic if I can't get caught why not Lie (Read 3032 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box RHINO
New User

if I can't get caught why not Lie
Jun 25th, 2004 at 2:24am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
If I did a little weed in highschool but nothing more, and I know during the background check they have no way of finding out. I should be able to answer no the the drug question with out having to worry, and if I don't worry about the lie my body should not react to telling the lie right?  From what  I understand the reaction your body has to telling a lie comes from the fact that some how the truth might come out. Any thoughts?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box rcop
User

Re:  if I can't get caught why not Lie
Reply #1 - Jun 25th, 2004 at 2:30am
If all you did was a "little" pot in high school why would you want to lie?  That is not disqualifying.  However, if you are caught in that lie, you will never be hired as a LEO...period...no questions asked.  If your goal is law enforcement, your attitude about lying is disturbing.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box RHINO
New User

Reply #2 - Jun 25th, 2004 at 3:32am
Don't get me wrong I don't want to lie but I hear "if you tell the truth about doing pot  you won't be accepted" and "tell the truth it is the only way the dept won't care" I was stuip when I was a teen and have matured since then, I don't want my old mistakes to mess up my life. Sure I hear ya all say if you can't do the time don't do the crime but........

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anonymous

Reply #3 - Jun 25th, 2004 at 8:37am
RHINO,

The polygraph cannot tell whether you are lying or not. The polygraph is a grand deception designed to trick people into thinking that it's in their best interest to "fess up" so as not to be caught in a lie.

In reality, it is against one's personal interest to provide any negative information about oneself that could not otherwise be turned up in a background investigation.

What to tell, and what not to tell, is an ethical decision that you'll have to make on your own. But you should make that decision free of the delusion that the polygraph can detect lies.

As for passing the polygraph, see The Lie Behind the Lie Detector, which can be downloaded from this site.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Reply #4 - Jun 25th, 2004 at 6:26pm
Quote:
What to tell, and what not to tell, is an ethical decision that you'll have to make on your own. But you should make that decision free of the delusion that the polygraph can detect lies.

Whether the polygraph can or cannot detect lies doesn't have any bearing on ethics.

-Marty

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

if I can't get caught why not Lie

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X