Normal Topic NSA TS/SCI Clearance Process (Read 31922 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box urbannerd
New User

NSA TS/SCI Clearance Process
Jun 19th, 2004 at 9:13am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I have to take the poly for a NSA clearance. Does the TS ajudication comes BEFORE the poly?. 

Can you keep a regular TS if you fail and/or refuse a poly? 

Thanks

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: NSA TS/SCI Clearance Process
Reply #1 - Jun 21st, 2004 at 12:32pm
The NSA will adjudicate your application for a clearance after the polygraph, not before.

Regarding the consequences of refusal to submit to a polygraph interrogation, NSA's polygraph regulation (NSA/CSS Regulation 122-03) states:

Quote:
...refusal to consent to a polygraph examination, when it has been established as a requirement for selection or assignment to NSA, or as a condition of initial or continued access to classified cryptologic information may result in an adverse action, non-selection for assignment or employment, denial or revocation of access to classified cryptologic information, or termination of employment.  Refusal to take a polygraph examination shall be recorded only in the individual's security file maintained by the NSA Office of Security.  An individual's employer, shall not be informed of the refusal to take a polygraph, nor shall the personnel files be annotated, unless such refusal requires administrative action.

I'm not sure what effect failing or refusing an NSA polygraph might have on any security clearance granted by any other government agency.

For related reading, see "Use of the Polygraph in Security Clearance Investigations" (Chapter 8 of Security Clearances and National Security Information: Law and Procedures by Sheldon I. Cohen, December 2000).

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box anonynous

Reply #2 - Jun 21st, 2004 at 10:28pm
If you do not have a TS, and do not get through the
poly, then NSA will not direct the DSS to start the TS
background investigation.  If you already have a TS,
and do not get through the poly, I know that DSS does
not look at the poly results, but looks at any derogatory
volunteered information.  The TS is granted by DSS and
the SCI by NSA.  If you have a TS, and get through the
poly, but do not get through NSA adjudication, I don't
believe that it would affect the TS, unless there are
major issues that the DSS does not know about. If you
do not get through the NSA process, then trying to get
a DoD clearance may be more difficult.  You just have to
weigh, for yourself, if getting the NSA SCI is worth 
risking getting a DoD/DSS clearance.  Fun, hugh ?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Rod

Reply #3 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 3:19am
I am applying for a new job and it requires a ts/sci polygraph clearance.  How do I get or where do I go to get such a clearance and polygraph done.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box IAMNOTACROOK

Reply #4 - Jan 18th, 2011 at 5:10pm
What I am seeing is that even passing both polygraphs and still am told no after adjuration and told no after my appeal that I still can keep my TS that is held by DISCO? 

Is meeting at an appeals board with the risk? 

IAMNOTACROOK

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Linguist

Reply #5 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 8:31pm
I am currenlty in the process of my BI being done for a position with NSA. I was told I would be required to take a poly after the BI is complete,(just started) told it would take 4-5 weeks and then I will be asked to come in for Poly. 
reading from the post above, does it mean I will not knwo if i have a TS untill i pass the polygraph? or do i get a TS and then wait for SCI?

IP Logged

NSA TS/SCI Clearance Process

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X