Normal Topic Polygraph dug up something personal (Read 2574 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Totally Screwed

Polygraph dug up something personal
Jun 3rd, 2004 at 3:46am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I have a really big problem here. I took a polygraph for a local PD last week. Well, I told the polygrapher everything during the pre-test interview. When he asked me if there was anything I was concealing from him, I admitted I had been unfaithful to my husband in the past. He said that was none of the departments business, and he wouldn't mention it to them.

Well, I passed everything except one question, that being "have you ever engaged in illegal sexual activity". I have never done any such thing in all my life, but I know it was my past infidelity that was on my mind when he asked that. The polygrapher said he was sorry to see that, because although that was none of the PD's business, he had no choice but to disclose that to them because it was the reason I had a reaction to that question. He said he was going to recommend that I come back in for a second exam, limited to questions that are criminally specific.

I haven't yet heard back from the PD, and it's been nearly a week. I am very worried they will DQ me for this. The relationship ended only a few months ago, but it is over. I never wanted to cheat on my husband, I wanted to get a divorce and marry this other man. But he kept stalling, so I pushed him for a commitment, and he bailed on me (I should have known, but that's a different story). I just couldn't deal with the lying anymore. Other than that, I'm squeaky clean. I have never used drugs in my life, never so much as a speeding ticket, no accidents, perfect credit, have a bachelors degree, and have never been arrested or been in any kind of trouble whatsoever. But I'm very worried now that I'm sunk. I try to tell myself, "well, if it was something they outright disqualified for, it'd be on the personal history statement", but I know they can chuck you for any reason they want. Does anybody know how they will handle this? This whole relationship wasn't some dumb thing, it was a big deal and I wanted to come clean and do the right thing, but unless they give me a chance to tell them how it came about, they'll just think I'm some tramp who couldn't keep her legs closed. That isn't what happened, I really did love this guy. Help!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box anxietyguy
Very Senior User

Re: Polygraph dug up something personal
Reply #1 - Jun 3rd, 2004 at 6:04am
Quote:
This whole relationship wasn't some dumb thing, it was a big deal and I wanted to come clean and do the right thing, but unless they give me a chance to tell them how it came about, they'll just think I'm some tramp who couldn't keep her legs closed. Quote:

Beachball,
Na I'm sure you will be in a squad car in no time. Question is will you be in the front seat or in the back seat with your partner?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box rcop
User

Reply #2 - Jun 4th, 2004 at 4:01am
TS,

Ignore anxietyguy's post.  He is a moron.  It appears that you did have a reaction to the sexual crimes question based on your guilty feelings over your affair.  Having an affair in and of itself is not disqualifying.  If it was, half the male applicants would be disqualified.  Hopefully, based on what you were told, you will get a second polygraph.  Remember, the department is only interested in SEXUAL CRIMES (e.g., rape, sex with a minor etc.).  It is not interested in private sexual behavior.  If things don't work out with this department, keep on trying.  Disqualification from one department does not preclude you from being hired by another.  Your post is well written and, from your qualifications, you sound like a strong candidate.  Good luck.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Napoleon
New User

Reply #3 - Jun 17th, 2004 at 5:53pm
Quote:
"Remember, the department is only interested in SEXUAL CRIMES (e.g., rape, sex with a minor etc.)."

Would this interest include consensual sex with a lady of negotiable virtue?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Reply #4 - Jun 17th, 2004 at 5:58pm
Napoleon wrote on Jun 17th, 2004 at 5:53pm:

Would this interest include consensual sex with a lady of negotiable virtue?

If you are talking about paying for sex via a prostitute, then yes it is something a dept. would be interested in.  The only exception to this rule is how long ago and if it was LEGAL where you did it, i.e. The Bunny Ranch or in another country.  Either way it is a very borderline activity that will most likely DQ a candidate.

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

Polygraph dug up something personal

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X