Normal Topic question for polycop (Read 2189 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Bill Crider
Very Senior User

question for polycop
Jun 15th, 2004 at 7:53pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
this is from the post about the car theft, but i didnt want to hijack that thread.

Quote:
Regarding the "confound of the fear of consequences" for innocent examinees taking PLCQT's, I still assert the proper foundation and setting of PLC's go a long way to resolving that issue.

can you explain how this is done, because it is the reason I cannot pass my FBI polygraph employment exam. what can an examiner do to relieve my stress about failing and have me "produce" a "truthful" chart 
When you are nervous about failing, you know exactly how the test works, and you aren't using countermeasures. how can you pass? what possibkle control question can elicit more response than a relevant?

I think even without this site it is a problem for the FBI test because their own application manual clearly states that the exam focuses on national security, drugs and the FD-140 application, not if you ever lied to your mother.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Re: question for polycop
Reply #1 - Jun 17th, 2004 at 7:36pm
Bill Crider wrote on Jun 15th, 2004 at 7:53pm:
this is from the post about the car theft, but i didnt want to hijack that thread.

can you explain how this is done, because it is the reason I cannot pass my FBI polygraph employment exam. what can an examiner do to relieve my stress about failing and have me "produce" a "truthful" chart 
When you are nervous about failing, you know exactly how the test works, and you aren't using countermeasures. how can you pass? what possibkle control question can elicit more response than a relevant?

I think even without this site it is a problem for the FBI test because their own application manual clearly states that the exam focuses on national security, drugs and the FD-140 application, not if you ever lied to your mother.

pillpopper,

If you ever get a "better" answer to this than lielabs gave you at polyplace I would be most interested. For instance Matte, in his book "Examining and Cross-Examination of Experts" provides little except a rather bald and unsupported assertion that an examiner himself would be unable to fool the polygraph.  This, in spite of often disparaging the directed lie control question test as highly unreliable and producing high levels of false negatives. Rather contradictory since the CQT given to an experienced polygrapher more resembles a DLCQT than PLCQT.  Lielabs came very close to admitting as much.  A rather touchy area for them.

-Marty

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Bill Crider
Very Senior User

Reply #2 - Jun 18th, 2004 at 4:30am
the issue that they cant honestly deal with is the one the Dr. Richardson points out. there is no credible way to claim that the responses that "indicate deception" are caused only by deception and not simply a fear of being falsely accused or having a long time career goal flushed down the toilet on the basis of 3 or 4 questions.  thus if the innocent examinee cannot calm this fear and/or is not intimidated by the control questions, then you will fail. thats me in a nutshell.

besides i think lielabs is right. no offense but this site only added to my anxiety. it made me feel like i was cheating since i didnt tell my polygrapher all that i had learned. then again, i didnt take the listed advice of the admit all your research policy. that seemed like it would only make it worse

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Reply #3 - Jun 18th, 2004 at 5:24am
pillpopper,

Bill Crider wrote on Jun 18th, 2004 at 4:30am:
the issue that they cant honestly deal with is the one the Dr. Richardson points out. there is no credible way to claim that the responses that "indicate deception" are caused only by deception and not simply a fear of being falsely accused or having a long time career goal flushed down the toilet on the basis of 3 or 4 questions.  thus if the innocent examinee cannot calm this fear and/or is not intimidated by the control questions, then you will fail. thats me in a nutshell.

besides i think lielabs is right. no offense but this site only added to my anxiety. it made me feel like i was cheating since i didnt tell my polygrapher all that i had learned. then again, i didnt take the listed advice of the admit all your research policy. that seemed like it would only make it worse

Polygraphers don't (at least in their professional writing) maintain the polygraph measures deception. The most common description I've found in poly material is that the response is proportional to "threat." The key is then to select a control question that will generate more of a percieved "threat" than the relevant question. This breaks down when the examiner guesses wrong selecting or conditioning the controls. It is also problematic if the examinee isn't convinced the poly works hence the extensive preliminaries designed to convince once of it's accuracy. Worse, it seriously breaks down when the examinee understands the protocol. 

Absent the use of CM's, I also believe an informed examinee is more likely to fail a PLCQT.

-Marty

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

question for polycop

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X