Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Countermeasure Question For George or Anyone (Read 27201 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box anxietyguy
Very Senior User

Countermeasure Question For George or Anyone
Apr 20th, 2004 at 7:44pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I understand how to employ countermeasures to control questions, though I am unclear on how long to hold them.I hear that there is a 20-30 second gap between questions and was wondering do I hold the countermeasure for the whole 20-30 seconds, or just when I am answering yes or no to the control question. Also is it advisable to use a mental countermeasure at the same time as a physical countermeasure or just use one? Thanks for the help on my upcomming exam for employment.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box I-Smell-BS

Re: Countermeasure Question For George or Anyone
Reply #1 - Apr 20th, 2004 at 8:00pm
You are right to ask "George or anyone", because just about anyone knows as much as George does. Wink

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #2 - Apr 20th, 2004 at 8:12pm
I-Smell-BS,
I take it your another angry polygraph examiner that is upset that George is exposing the "BS" of the polygraph exam.I forgot to include in my thread I am NOT seeking advice from pro-polygraphers.I have enough BS going on in my life having to submit to this coin flip of an exam.So the only BS I smell is you.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Kona
Very Senior User

Reply #3 - Apr 20th, 2004 at 11:54pm
Anxiety,

According to Doug Williams' handbook, "How to Sting the Polygraph," your entire reaction to the control question shouldn't last more than about 9 seconds.  Assuming 25 seconds between questions, you should start to react right after you answer the control question, and gradually increase the pucker and pnemo reaction to peak at no more than 4 1/2 seconds, then gradually decrease the reaction to finish at approx 9 seconds.  After this, resume normal breathing, and totally relax until the next control question.  I used this techique, and it worked like a champ.  You have to practice this reaction if you want to pass the exam.  The anal pucker should never exceed "half strength," at the peak of the reaction, because it really produces a large rise in your blood pressure.  The breathing patterns also need to be subtle, and not obvious or overdone.  I highly suggest reading Doug's handbook for all the details.   

Good luck.

Kona

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box triple x
Very Senior User

Fear what you cannot see...

Reply #4 - Apr 21st, 2004 at 1:51am
Anxietyguy,

If you have not already, I suggest that you download and read “TLBTLD” available for free here on this website. I too have read Doug Williams booklet “How to Sting the Polygraph”, and in my opinion, find “TLBTLD” to be superior, and better written.

[You ask] 
“Also is it advisable to use a mental countermeasure at the same time as a physical countermeasure or just use one?”

Personally, I feel that if you employed both mental and physical countermeasures simultaneously following a control question, would likely produce a significant reaction on the charts and cause the polygraph examiner to be suspicious of possible countermeasures. I would recommend that you err on the side of caution, and employ either mental or physical countermeasures, but not both.

I do believe Doug Williams booklet “How to Sting the Polygraph” to be accurate and effective. Having said that, it’s strictly my opinion that “TLBTLD” is overall a better-written document.

Good luck with your forthcoming pre-employment polygraph exam. In addition, please consider posting your results following your polygraph experience.

False positive results are not uncommon.

Knowledge is power.

Triple x

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box guest

Reply #5 - Apr 21st, 2004 at 3:45am
And how did you do on your test Trip x?

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #6 - Apr 21st, 2004 at 7:54am
Kona,
Thanks for the helpfull info I think I am going to purchase Doug's book.I have about a month I anticipate before the exam so I am getting as much info as possible.One more question,what breathing technique do u suggest using while employing the countermeasure?I will post updates the closer i get...thanks again.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #7 - Apr 21st, 2004 at 8:41am
anxietyguy,

As "triple x" mentioned, countermeasures are discussed in detail in The Lie Behind the Lie Detector. (See Chapter 4.) We suggest using breathing countermeasures (which have the advantage that the respiratory tracings are the only ones that can be directly controlled) in addition to one (and only one) of the following: mental countermeasures, tongue-biting, or anal sphincter contraction. We suggest that these countermeasures be applied for 8-20 seconds, but no longer than the beginning of the asking of the next question.

Behavioral countermeasures are also important and are discussed at some length in Chapter 4.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Kona
Very Senior User

Reply #8 - Apr 21st, 2004 at 9:10am
anxietyguy wrote on Apr 21st, 2004 at 7:54am:
Kona,
Thanks for the helpfull info I think I am going to purchase Doug's book.I have about a month I anticipate before the exam so I am getting as much info as possible.One more question,what breathing technique do u suggest using while employing the countermeasure?I will post updates the closer i get...thanks again.

Anxiety,

In Doug's pamphlet, he outlines 4 or 5 different breathing patterns, and shows what they should look like on the graph.  It's kind of difficult to explain them to you without seeing visually what they should look like on the graph.  One of the patterns is a series of 5 shallow breaths, each breath inhaling more than exhaling.  On the last breath, you're supposed to inhale slightly more, exhale fully, then take two deep breaths.  After the two deep breaths, you are supposed to resume normal breathing.  Doug really hammers home that you must practice these patterns, and be very subtle.  The pneumo tubes around your chest and abdomen measure very small changes in your breathing, so you have to be careful not to overdo it, and be obvious.   

I agree that TLBLTD is a great book to read, and it's free, but Doug's 20 page handbook is written in layman's terms, very easy to comprehend, and is direct/to the point.  I suggest that you read both!!

Good luck, and keep us informed.

Kona

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box PolySucks

Reply #9 - Apr 22nd, 2004 at 3:37am
Yes, you must hold it for the duration to ensure the countermeasure will be effective.

When I tried, it made my butt hurt, but I passed the test.

Good Luck!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Cancerman

Reply #10 - Apr 22nd, 2004 at 4:05am
I think PolySucks is right.  It would be best to hold the countermeasure as long as possible during the pause between questions.   

I held my Countermeasure for a full 15 seconds and when my XXX--three letter agency--polygrapher (silly him) looked at my results, he laughed and said that I was a "texbook" responder, whatever that means.  Anyway, I passed Grin Grin

Others told me they did it for three or four seconds and they didn't even come close to passing their tests.  Embarrassed Embarrassed The polygraph dude started yelling at them for not telling the truth!!! Shocked Shocked They told me that they weren't telling the whole truth either, oops.

"Bottom" line is, if you want to pass (especially if you're not really being truthful), you've got to ensure the countermeasure will work by doing it right.  So, you've got to........Hold it Long, Hold it Strong!!! Wink Wink

Peace out!!!!!!
Cancerman

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Reply #11 - Apr 22nd, 2004 at 5:02am
Quote:
I think PolySucks is right.  It would be best to hold the countermeasure as long as possible during the pause between questions.  

I held my Countermeasure for a full 15 seconds and when my XXX--three letter agency--polygrapher (silly him) looked at my results, he laughed and said that I was a "texbook" responder, whatever that means.  Anyway, I passed Grin Grin

Others told me they did it for three or four seconds and they didn't even come close to passing their tests.  Embarrassed Embarrassed The polygraph dude started yelling at them for not telling the truth!!! Shocked Shocked They told me that they weren't telling the whole truth either, oops.

"Bottom" line is, if you want to pass (especially if you're not really being truthful), you've got to ensure the countermeasure will work by doing it right.  So, you've got to........Hold it Long, Hold it Strong!!! Wink Wink

Peace out!!!!!!
Cancerman

Cancerman,

Uh, how is it you know multiple applicants that failed their test AND used CM's as you describe?   Grin

-Marty

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Apr 22nd, 2004 at 5:41am
Marty--

We were all criminal justice majors (this may give me away) in college and we are still friends.   A few of us decided to to apply to XXX together, and being that we hung out togther, we all knew that we had "issues."    They had their polyraph test long before I did and they failed (they told me they were afraid of being caught so they only did the countermeasure ever so slightly and for a short duration).  To ensure that I passed mine, I did the countermeasure thing with much energy and loooong duration (I was afraid of failing the test and not getting my dream job so I held mine Long and Strong--guess who is happy at work Grin).  That silly polygraph fool never knew what hit him--"textbook" responder he said, HAHAHA!!!

Lesson be learned-- are you afraid of being caught or not getting your dream job?   Then you know what you have to do..........Hold it Long, Hold it Strong!!!!

Good luck and beat the bastards!!!!!

Peace out,
Cancerman

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Reply #13 - Apr 22nd, 2004 at 8:12am
Quote:
We were all criminal justice majors (this may give me away) in college and we are still friends.   A few of us decided to to apply to XXX together, and being that we hung out togther, we all knew that we had "issues."    They had their polyraph test long before I did and they failed (they told me they were afraid of being caught so they only did the countermeasure ever so slightly and for a short duration).  To ensure that I passed mine, I did the countermeasure thing with much energy and loooong duration (I was afraid of failing the test and not getting my dream job so I held mine Long and Strong--guess who is happy at work Grin).  That silly polygraph fool never knew what hit him--"textbook" responder he said, HAHAHA!!!

Lesson be learned-- are you afraid of being caught or not getting your dream job?   Then you know what you have to do..........Hold it Long, Hold it Strong!!!!

Good luck and beat the bastards!!!!!

Peace out,
Cancerman

So tell me Cancerman, why would a group of guys with "issues" (stoners???) be in a criminal justice program together? While I think the polygraph has a large "woo-woo" aspect, do you feel at all guilty that you fraudulently obtained employment?

Though individuals respond in quite variable ways, the technique (long and strong) you describe would be unlikely to produce the kind of responses on controls described in Matte's work, the prinicipal "textbook" extant.

Further, the only time I'm aware polygraphers use descriptors such as "textbook responder" is in the conditioning phase prior to the test. They tend not to be very verbal unless they go into a confession/interrogation mode. Large agencies send their results to a QA review and they don't usually want to be too opinionated lest they be overturned due to suspected CMs.

And why did you say this? "They told me that they weren't telling the whole truth either, oops."  After all, you knew in advance they had "issues." It sounds like an after the fact admission.

-Marty

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Apr 22nd, 2004 at 9:32am
Hey Marty,

Don't know who you are, but I appreciate that you are taking an interest in my situation.  You aren't trying to drag this out so you can "out" me and my employment with my XXX lettered agency are you....hmmmmm

It's getting very late, but let me try to answer your questions before I zonk:

1.  Q:   So tell me Cancerman, why would a group of guys with "issues" (stoners) be in a criminal justice program together? 

A.  I never said my "issues" or my friends "issues" were that we were "stoners."  Even if my friends and I did/did not use drugs, are you naive enough to imply that college students majoring in criminal justice would not be involved in drugs just because of the major?  Obviously you haven't been to college, or if you did you never went to any parties and looked around (underaged drinking, "experimentation" with drugs, etc.)   

2.  Q.  While I think the polygraph has a large "woo-woo" aspect, do you feel at all guilty that you fraudulently obtained employment? 

A.  No, not feeling quilty.  Who said I gained fraudulent employment?  I met all the requirements for employment, to include passing a polygraph.

3.  Q.  the technique (long and strong) you describe would be unlikely to produce the kind of responses on controls described in Matte's work, the prinicipal "textbook" extant. 

A.  Who ever said anythuing about Matte.  I don't know who that is, and I don't care.  I just know that my college friend told me what he was going to do and how he was going to do it.  I just ensured that my actions would create a big unmistakable response.

4.  Q.  Further, the only time I'm aware polygraphers use descriptors such as "textbook responder" is in the conditioning phase prior to the test.

A.  Does that mean you are a pissed off polygraph dude angry that I passed?  I don't really know what a "textbook" responder is.  I don't know what the conditioning phase is.  I know only my experience, and my polygraph guy laughed and said I was "textbook."  Whatever that meant, I didn't care....and I sure as hell wasn't about to ask him about it because all I wanted was out of his office!!!

5.  Q.  And why did you say this? "They told me that they weren't telling the whole truth either, oops."  After all, you knew in advance they had "issues." It sounds like an after the fact admission.

A.  Because going in to the exam my friends weren't fully decided  if they were going to tell the whole truth or the partial truth and try to get away with it.  Obviously, the partial truth didn't work!!!  So it's either tell the whole truth and pass, or use a countermeaser to pass.

Me?  I did my countermeasure Long and Strong and I have my job, my friends don't.   And that is the only way I know that works.

MARTY (POLYMAN), don't be pissed off at me.  I hope you were not the polydude that I duped!!!!  I'm just trying to help out  others on the proven way to use countermeasures.  My method worked, my friends' didn't. 

Lessoned be learned....if you're gonna use countermeasures do it right.  So you gotta Do it Long, and Do it Strong!!!

Peace out,
Cancerman

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Countermeasure Question For George or Anyone

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X