Normal Topic What do they look for? Please respond (Read 7931 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box manta_ray
New User

What do they look for? Please respond
Feb 23rd, 2004 at 7:51pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hi everyone,

I have a simple question. Will cheating on your spouse once disqualify you from employment with the DoD? Will the NSA, DoD even ask this question?

Also, will what you say on the Poly be repeated to anyone whom you designate as a background check person? For instance, if I say I did cheat on my spouse, will they call my spouse and then tell that person what I said during the polygraph?

Just a freaked out spouse who was unfaithful one time and hoping it doesn't ruin chances of a dream job.

Thanks...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Non-NSA

Re: What do they look for? Please respond
Reply #1 - Feb 25th, 2004 at 2:51am
Manta_Ray,

First and foremost, I am not a NSA employee, but I am familiar with background investigations conducted by the DoD.

It is my opinion that the DoD / NSA would not contact your spouse AND advise him / her of any admissions you made during the background investigation process. It is my opinion that in most circumstances, this would be a violation of the Privacy Act of 1974.

It is my opinion that generally an extramarital relationship in and of itself would not disqualify you from a position within the DoD. Now, perhaps NSA has more strict guidelines, but no DoD component is immune to having employees who have cheated on their spouse. When a person's case is adjudicated, any mitigating factors are explored. How many times has one had an extramarital relationship? When did such relationships occur? Was any criminal conduct involved? Did the person have such a relationship with a foreign national? Is the spouse aware of the relationship?  Most importantly, is the applicant susceptible to blackmail or coercion as a result of this extramarital relationship?

Now, some might give advice to lie during the background investigation interview when asked about whether or not one had been involved in acts that could cause others to question their morals.  This is bad advice.  Tell the truth.  Will they find out about any extramarital relationships? Maybe...maybe not.  Investigators will interview a wide variety of references: Current and former co-workers; Current and former neighbors; Personal references that you listed on your forms; Personal references that you did not list; Education references; etc. 

By lying about any such conduct or omitting it during your interviews, you have proven that you don't want to discuss it...that perhaps you don't want others to know about it.  I'm going to assume that you have been involved in an extramarital relationship and you are worried that your spouse will find out.  Otherwise, you would not be concerned about the DoD / NSA contacting your spouse.  I don't think NSA will expect you to go home and tell your spouse, but they do want to know if you are willing to talk about it or will you lie at all costs? If so, then perhaps you could be blackmailed or coerced to act against the US if someone threatened to tell your spouse.  You need to be willing to tell the investigators and say, "Hey, if someone asked me to disclose classified information or they would tell my spouse what I had done...then I would tell them to tell my spouse and I would report the attempt to recruit me to the proper authorities." 

Tell them the truth.  Odds are this will not affect your job / clearance. If you lie or purposely omit the information, then you have just committed a Federal offense...providing false official statements (Title 18, Section 1001, US Code) and you have proven that you ARE a security risk. I hope this helps you. Good luck!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Reply #2 - Feb 25th, 2004 at 3:15am
Quote:
If you lie or purposely omit the information, then you have just committed a Federal offense...providing false official statements (Title 18, Section 1001, US Code) and you have proven that you ARE a security risk. I hope this helps you. Good luck!

This may not be good advice. Polygraphers expect one to lie on the comparison questions. This is nothing nefarious so much as it is an attempt to create a situation where the examinee will respond more than on a relevant. In fact they try to select comparisons the examinee will lie on, and they will do so covertly, Title 18 not withstanding. Still, this sounds unlikely to be either a relevant or comparison. More likely to be a comparison if it was worded more generally, such as did you ever seriously contemplate or commit adultery?

-Marty

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anonymous

Reply #3 - Feb 25th, 2004 at 6:27am
manta_ray wrote on Feb 23rd, 2004 at 7:51pm:
Hi everyone,

I have a simple question. Will cheating on your spouse once disqualify you from employment with the DoD? Will the NSA, DoD even ask this question?

Also, will what you say on the Poly be repeated to anyone whom you designate as a background check person? For instance, if I say I did cheat on my spouse, will they call my spouse and then tell that person what I said during the polygraph?

Just a freaked out spouse who was unfaithful one time and hoping it doesn't ruin chances of a dream job.

Thanks...

It's highly unlikely that it would disqualify you (unless perhaps it was with the polygrapher's spouse!), but you would be a fool to mention your infidelity to a polygrapher or background investigator. Your admission will become a matter of government record if you do.

You don't need to volunteer every embarassing indiscretion or sin you've ever committed in your life -- if you feel the need to do that, go talk to a clergyman. Make sure to read The Lie Behind the Lie Detector, available on this site.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #4 - Feb 25th, 2004 at 9:32am
manta_ray,

See the current Adjudicative Guidelines for Determining Eligibility to Classified Information:

http://www.fas.org/sgp/spb/class.htm

Guideline "D" concerns sexual behavior, and the guidelines seem ambiguous enough that one might or might not be denied a clearance because of marital infidelity, depending on the adjudicator's discretion.

You'll find the NSA's polygraph regulation and supporting documentation here:

http://antipolygraph.org/read.shtml#NSA

For general information on the use of polygraphs in security clearance detecminations, see Chapter 8 of Security Clearances and National Security Information: Law and Procedures, which is titled, "Use of the Polygraph in Security Clearance Investigations":

http://antipolygraph.org/documents/security-clearances.shtml

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box MikeJ
New User

Reply #5 - Oct 11th, 2009 at 6:53am
Wondering this myself.  NSA Poly coming up.  Did some stupid things (infidelity), but have a great job that I'm already working there, on a poly-waiver (I was military there for 2 years, now contractor).

I am confused on the "tell everything" vs. the "they don't need to know" line of thinking.

IP Logged

What do they look for? Please respond

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X