Normal Topic "control" questions (Read 3115 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box method
New User

"control" questions
Feb 4th, 2004 at 10:26am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I'm try to understand. Do you answer truthful when a "control" question is given or do you answer nontruthful. Correct me if im wrong, one must react greater to "control" questons than relevant questions in order to pass.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: "control" questions
Reply #1 - Feb 5th, 2004 at 9:04am
Method,

Although polygraphers will tell subjects that it is important to answer all questions with complete honesty, and that any doubts will show up on the polygraph, they secretly expect answers to the "control" questions to be less than completely truthful.

When you answer a "control" question, it is not really important whether your answer is truthful or not. You need to give the expected answer and show a stronger reaction to it than to the corresponding relevant questions. In most cases, the expected answer to a "control" question is "no." For example, "Did you ever take anything that did not belong to you?" or "Did you ever tell a lie to a person in authority?" But in some cases, the expected answer to a "control" question is "yes." For example, "Are you a really honest person?"

For more on "control" questions, see Chapter 3 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box method
New User

Reply #2 - Feb 5th, 2004 at 10:11am
Thanks George!!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box mike_C.
User

Reply #3 - Jun 17th, 2005 at 8:13am
Sorry for the very late response in answer to this thread, as I have only just recently discovered this site. But this question regarding the "control questions" is a very important topic, as it will define the outcome of the rest of the polygraph testing, in my view.   

I have not yet downloaded the book, The Lie Behind The Lie Detector, but from what I've already gathered, the control questions are the basis for whether or not an applicant is going to succeed throughout the rest of the polygraph testing. 

Someone (a real good veteran street cop) once told me...."admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof." No truer words were ever said. 

Basically, what I'm trying to get at is, it seems the "control question" technique is the biggest BS approach which is the psychological setback for the prospective LE applicant.   

Mike_C.

IP Logged

"control" questions

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X