Normal Topic inquiring about the training academy (Read 2115 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nina
New User

inquiring about the training academy
Apr 2nd, 2005 at 9:40pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I applied to be reserve police and wondered what the training academy was like. It is not required for reserve to attend the academy, but don't want to suck at what I do. Is it possible to pay for it on our own and attend? How rigourous is it?

Anyone knows what happens if a candidate does not pass EVOC? Also how does one train to develop muscle memory and and be able to shoot with one hand? If someone passes everything, can a potential candidate not get hired if he/she can't do those things very well?

Thanks for any help.

PS: About how much does it cost to attend the training academy. I heard it used to be 13 but not it is 16 weeks.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Deputydog
New User

Re: inquiring about the training academy
Reply #1 - Jun 18th, 2005 at 12:16am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Nina
sorry it took so long to reply.
It depends on what state your in.
I'm in Texas and started out as a reserve officer. The requirements and training are the same for a reserve as they are for a regular. A reserve in Texas has all the same authority as any other peace officer. If you see them on the street, you can't tell the difference.
In Texas, there are several schools that offer academys where you can pay your way through but they are not reserve academys. It takes about 16 weeks to complete and the regular academys are the fastest way to go. I attended a Reserve academy that  is only offered by a law enforcement agency. The standards were the same as the regular academy but the physical training was optional for the most part. Very little agility testing. 
In Texas, the reserve academy is about 700 hours and is done on a part time basis ( because most of the cadetts have full time jobs. They do it in the evenings about 4 days a week and it takes a year to finish the whole thing. But at the end, you are immediately commisioned as an officer with the agency and get your badge and blues. I loved it and did it for about 10 years before going regular. When I decided to go regular, it was a piece of cake.
Hope this helps,  Good luck

IP Logged

inquiring about the training academy

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X