Normal Topic should i be concerned or im over reacting to much (Read 5216 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box blazing

should i be concerned or im over reacting to much
Nov 14th, 2003 at 6:35am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Im aware that I got DQ'd from my first psych exam. 2 things from the test have been really bothering me alot. I really would appreciate if someone answered this posting I wrote. During the interview with the shrink, the shrink asked me if i was ever placed on academic probation. I said " do you mean academic probation in my current college", She said yes. I replied no. It turns out that in my old college i was placed in academic probation because once my transfer to my new college was approved i did not withdraw from that college because i was accepted there as a transfer student. In my new college it lists me as a transfer student while  the other college considered me as a student in academic probation. I had no clue of this at all.

During the written psych, i was asked if i ever had a school evaluation. I told the psychologist that i did which was the truth. I  also told the shrink that the school shrink classified the issue as emotional disturbed. this happened when i was 15. During the BI my investigator asked me if i ever had emotional problems, I explained to her the same situation, she told me she did not consider that emotional problems.
The police psychologist never asked me if i ever had emotional problems, but i told her that i saw a shrink regarding a school evaluation. My concern is that the BI

IP Logged

Re: should i be concerned or im over reacting to m
Reply #1 - Nov 14th, 2003 at 6:44am
My concern is that the BI though diffrent of th issue that the shrink. All the BI did was put no as the answer to the question. Folks am i overreacting to much over nothing. Im just worried that a mistake could be interpreted. Any comments would strongly be appreciated. 

Thanks.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box treetop
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 14th, 2003 at 7:49am
I would not worry about it.  When the subject comes up, just explain it to them.  Also, when you and the psychologist or BI are talking on a related issue, mention your concern to them.  I do not think what happened when you were 15 will matter if you are level headed now.  I also do not think being on academic probation will disqualify you either.  Just be honest about it.  It helps if you mention it first without being asked.  It shows that you are being open and not trying to conceal things and that goes a long ways. Wink
« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2003 at 9:29am by treetop »  

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Nov 14th, 2003 at 7:16pm
My first post was a bit sloppy, i will explain this in order to anyone else who reads this.

When I went for my BI Interview i had to bring my packet notarized which i did. Everything looks good so far. My investigator asks me a question not in the packet. The question was. Have you ever had emotional problems? I told her that i had a school evaluation conducted on me to determine what kind of education i should receive. I explained to her that the school shrink classified this as emotional disturbed. She felt the answer is no so she put no on her notes.

When i went to the shrink i had to tell her why i saw the school shrink in detail. My concern has been that the police psychologist might think that i was  being deceptive to the investigator. The investigators answer was yes or no.

I was asked by the shrink if i have ever been placed on academic probation. I said " do you mean at my current college. she said "yes". of course the answer is no. In my old college i was placed on academic probation. What concerns me is that the shrink probably though something. In my current college it lists me as a transfer student while at the old college it lists me on academic probation because i did not attend classes in the summer. I did not attend because my transfer was approved. People have said im overreacting.This was my firs police psych exam and first psych DQ. If anyone else has any comments i would like to hear.

Thanks.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Dec 21st, 2003 at 11:01am
Whats everyones take on this. People have told me because i got a psych DQ from the NYPD, Many law enforcement agencies will Psych DQ me because nypd hires anyone, which i feel is untrue. I believe if i were given 5 difrent psych exams they all would be interpreted diffrent. Whats everyones take on this.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box treetop
New User

Reply #5 - Dec 21st, 2003 at 7:54pm
I would continue to take their tests.  Perhaps, in the future, you should be more open about your academic history.  If they ask you if you have ever been on academic probation, then you should answer the question as it was stated: Have you EVER been on academic probation.  The psychologist may have inturpeted your answer as an attempt to conceal the truth.  You never know about those psychologist.  And as far as being dubbed "emotionally disturbed", you were a kid back then.  Admit to it and tell them you were shocked to hear that from the school psychologist and that you were never found "emotionally disturbed" again.  Just be honest and things should work out for you.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Dec 22nd, 2003 at 12:47am
Is this something that will hurt me alot for ever like it has for a member here named luke27. This member said he made notarized written statements that were all lies on purpose. I never ever have done something like what that person did.  Im wondering how psychological disqualifications have an impact on future psych exams.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Kona
Very Senior User

Reply #7 - Dec 22nd, 2003 at 4:38am
Quote:
Have you ever had emotional problems? I told her that i had a school evaluation conducted on me to determine what kind of education i should receive. I explained to her that the school shrink classified this as emotional disturbed.

Huh??  What does an evaluation for the type of education you should receive have anything to do with being "emotionally disturbed?"  I don't get it.   

Quote:
I was asked by the shrink if i have ever been placed on academic probation. I said " do you mean at my current college. she said "yes". of course the answer is no. In my old college i was placed on academic probation. What concerns me is that the shrink probably though something. In my current college it lists me as a transfer student while at the old college it lists me on academic probation because i did not attend classes in the summer. I did not attend because my transfer was approved.

My head hurts after reading this convoluted parapraph.   

Why didn't you simply answer "yes" to the academic probation question?  It's direct, to the point, and the truth.   

Let me get this straight, you were placed on academic probation for not attending classes in the summer??  I'm sorry, I don't understand.  Do you mean that you registered for summer classes, and then you didn't bother showing up or officially dropping them??  Please explain.   

As for your future chances of being psych DQ'ed because of a prior psych DQ.  I don't know.  Any future department that you are seeking employment with will have you psych eval'ed again, and it will be at the discretion of the evaluating Doctor.   

Good luck.

Kona

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Dec 22nd, 2003 at 5:00am
I did not attend summer classes because my transfer to my new college was approved. I had no idea that this lead to academic probation, until like a while later well after the p.d. shrink evaluation.

I was not doing well in 9th grade in school. So i had a school evaluation and the shrink said i was emotionaly disturbed because i was doing bad in school.

This info is for kona

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Kona
Very Senior User

Reply #9 - Dec 22nd, 2003 at 5:55am
Quote:
I did not attend summer classes because my transfer to my new college was approved. I had no idea that this lead to academic probation, until like a while later well after the p.d. shrink evaluation.

How on earth can the above stated reason cause you to be placed on academic probation?  Sorry, it still doesn't make any sense to me.  Normally one is placed on academic probation for not maintaining a minimum GPA.  What really happened here?

Quote:
I was not doing well in 9th grade in school. So i had a school evaluation and the shrink said i was emotionaly disturbed because i was doing bad in school.

I could be wrong, but I don't see this as a DQ event.  Any other closet internet psychologists out there?  Torpedo, some input please.....

Regards, 
Kona

IP Logged

should i be concerned or im over reacting to much

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X