Normal Topic fairly positive CI (counterintelligence) ! (Read 2952 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box lurker above

fairly positive CI (counterintelligence) !
Oct 15th, 2003 at 8:26am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I'm afraid to admit it, but I actually had a fairly positive polygraph experience.  It didn't HAVE to go this way, however.

I took a counterintelligence (CI) scope poly to get a TS/SCI clearance for a contracting firm, with the eventual customer being a US military agency.  (It's my understanding that the customer is the one who dictates clearance policy.)

As I read elsewhere, this test ended up being the standard TES (terrorism, espionage, sabotage) test that's described at  http://www.fas.org/sgp/othergov/polygraph/dodpi-tes.pdf . I had originally feared that it would be a presumed-lie format, but it ended up being the much easier directed-lie format.

As this is a narrowly-scoped test, I intended to (and did) answer every question truthfully.  However, word of mouth at my workplace indicated that most people take 2-3 sessions before they achieve sufficient "response".  It was easy to see why. I employed countermeasures because I wanted to get this over with as quickly as possible. I truly feel that anyone would have figured out these same "countermeasures" after two or three tries, however.

Maybe the difference between this and other experiences I've read is that in this case, a lot of money had already gone into my case and they wanted me to pass.

They didn't pull any of the tricks I've read about.  The office was a reasonable temperature, I wasn't kept waiting long before I went in, and during all the breaks between tests, the polygrapher let me get up and get a drink of water and sit back out in the waiting room for 5 minutes or so.

The whole process took about 3 hours from start to finish; I was strapped in the machine for about half of that, and actively monitored (well, had the pressure cuff inflated for about 20 minutes total).

I sat down in the chair and had the straps applied, the electrodes placed on my fingers, and the cuff put on (but not inflated).  The polygrapher gave his spiel about how it all worked -- standard stuff, although I found it interesting that he said "This is not a lie detector -- the only lie detector in the world is mom", and repeated that a few times...

I began maintaining a steady breathing pattern as soon as I was strapped in, and we went through the standard known numbers game -- I wrote a number on the paper and he wrote down other numbers, and asked me to lie and say no when asked if I wrote my number -- and he reassured me that I responded well. 

Then, he began on the first question set of three -- he spent what seemed like 15-20 minutes of explaining each question, defining it very narrowly.  Then he established the directed lie questions, which were, as I recall:

Have you ever violated a traffic law?

Have you ever done something that made someone angry at you?

Have you ever lost your temper at someone?

Have you ever bragged about yourself to impress others?

(There were two question for each of the three sections; I don't remember the other two.)

Other than that, the three sections went by smoothly and I would have expected.

I tried to employ the "pucker" CM but had little luck with it -- I can't seem to do that and at the same time maintain a normal breathing pattern.  I was called out for holding during one of the DLC questions.  After that, I just used a different breathing CM on each of the remaining DLC questions.

When I finished, the guy went out one last time and "consulted his manager", and came back and told me that it looked like everything went fine, although it would have to go through "three or four more levels of quality assurance"?  Strange.

Anyway,  it all came out fine.  Not that I'm saying that I think it had any validity; I just seemed to have lucked out.

If anyone else here will find themselves in the same situation, I'd be happy to answer any questions...

IP Logged

fairly positive CI (counterintelligence) !

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X