Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Preparing for a 2nd Poly (Read 7538 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box TheDad
New User

Preparing for a 2nd Poly
Oct 13th, 2003 at 11:10pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I posted some of this in a different (incorrect) thread. It was suggested that I start a new topic, so here I am...

Several years ago, I applied for a position with a Sheriff's department as a Civilian Prison Guard.  I was polygraphed, and the Detective FAILED me.   

The "problem" he cited was that my responses to questions regarding the use of illegal drugs (specifically Cocainne) had registered with a large 'swing'.  He claimed that he ran the test 'three times', and that I had the same 'swing' each time.

Anyway, I know that I have NEVER used any illegal drug of ANY type, and definitely not Cocainne. I am a very religious and honest person and I still want to serve my community.

I contested the result via letters, and ultimately the Department denied my application because my "Credit Report" was not "up to standards".  The poly results were never mentioned.

Well, now I want to apply as a Reserve Deputy Sheriff in a different county, and they will require a Polygraph.

I have read the lie-behind-the-lie book, but I am not certain how to handle the Polygraph Examination.   

I HATE the "test", and I know from first-hand experience that the thing is flawed.

It has been suggested that I need to use counter-measures.  Ok, lets assume that I will do that.

I know that I can approach the examiner with "Complete Honesty", but is that really going to work?  Has it worked for any of you, or do you suggest that I not mention that I have studied this topic?

More importantly, how do you suggest that I breach the subject of this being my second poly?  Do I waltz in there and say "oh, by the way, this is my second poly exam because the last detective was WRONG."?

I recognize that much of this topic is guess work--we don't know who the examiner will be, nor do we know what their attitude will be, plus there are many other variables.

I'm just looking for some advice on how to go in.  I will take all of your comments very seriously, and then do the best I can.

The poly exam was the worst experience of my life, because the finger of the law said I was guilty of something I was seeking to protect the public from. I was innocent, I said I was innocent, and I NEVER backed down from that.  And in the end, it didn't matter.

Looking forward to your comments.

D.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Gerald Winkins

Re: Preparing for a 2nd Poly
Reply #1 - Oct 14th, 2003 at 12:11am
Sir, I am in a very similar predicament myself.  I too was labeled deceptive on drug issues on my first polygraph exam this past year.  I hope to be taking another in the near future with a different agency.  My concerns are the same as yours.  One of my biggest fears is when the examiner asks if I have ever been polygraphed before, will this sway his decision towards a similar outcome regardless of what the charts say.  I surely don't trust polygraphers, therefore I would not put it passed them to label me DI just to agree with my first examiner.  I'm sorry I don't have any advice for you at this time, but good luck with your next exam.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #2 - Oct 14th, 2003 at 12:27am
Gerald,

that is definitely one of my fears: that they will fail me on the basis of my old polygraph.

you know, it's truly amazing.  It will cost me $2,500 of my own money, and almost one-year in school at night and on weekends to get my POST certificate and my equipment.  The department wont cover any of that.   

I suppose some people might go to such lengths to carry a badge and a gun, and put themselves in harms way, but I dont know many...

I'm willing to put myself into the uncomfortable position of taking another quack exam because I feel that serving my community (and thus, my own kids) is worth it.  Where is the test that measures your heart?  It's not the poly, and that's for sure.

D

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Gerald Winkins

Reply #3 - Oct 14th, 2003 at 4:36am
The Dad,  I know what you mean.  There are too many people like yourself,(and I like to think myself) who are worthy of the position we were in the running for until we failed our all mighty, all knowing polygraphs.  The saddest part of these dilemnas is the fact that far too often the best men are being ousted because of a faulty diagnosis from a faulty practice known as lie detection.  On the flip side of the coin, less qualified and sometimes less than desirable candidates are being moved forward in the hiring processes because they were FORTUNATE enough to have passed (and in some cases fooled) their polygraphs.  Keep your chin up and try your hardest not to dwell on the negative.  I know it's easier said than done.  Stay focused on the here and now.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Kona
Very Senior User

Reply #4 - Oct 14th, 2003 at 8:56am
Dad,

Sorry to hear that you failed your last polygraph; maybe now you will practice and utilize countermeasures to ensure you're not another false positive victim.   

Don't admit anything to the polygrapher that you haven't already admitted to your Backround Investigator.  If he asks you what you know about the polygraph, tell him that you know it measures your breathing, blood pressure, sweat, and not really much else.  Remember that this guy is out to get a confession from you, utilizing the polygraph apparatus as an intimidation device.  If he asks you why you failed the last polygraph, tell him that you have no idea because you were 100% honest.    

Read TLBTLD, and Doug Williams' guide (if you have the $47, well worth it).  Whatever you do, don't go into the poly exam thinking that if you tell the truth, and are 100% honest, everything will be just fine.   

Good luck,
Kona

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anonymous

Reply #5 - Oct 14th, 2003 at 10:08am
TheDad,

It might be better not to mention your previous sheriff's department application and polygraph experience.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box guest

Reply #6 - Oct 14th, 2003 at 4:23pm
The Dad,
see, that is the kind of ignorance that you will find on this board.  Despite the fact that they (the anti-folks) always rag us about our views.  I do not feel that I am qualified to advise you onyour previous polygraph experience.  I just do not have enough information, and as much as I hate to say it, you may have run into an inept examiner....assuming you ARE being 100%honest. I assure you that any department worthe their salt is going to do a background check before you get to the polygraph phase.  They WILL know about your application (especially within the same state - how stupid!) and most likely about your previous polygraph.  The examiner will wonder why you did not mention it, in fact he will most likely ask you, so it becomes a moot point.  Saying that you "forgot" about it isn't going to cut it. You will be backed into a corner and the justifiable position that the examiner will take is that you are trying to hide something from the very beginning....now what would you think.  Some of these fools and their very, very strange advice amazes me.  Where will they be when you get discovered?  Bet they won't be there to support you then.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #7 - Oct 14th, 2003 at 7:12pm
Hi,

thanks for the comments so far.

i have every intention of disclosing that i applied to a different department.  I also know that they are going to ask me about the first poly.

i AM being 100% honest about not ever using drugs.  It was a real blow to me, and after it was over and i was driving home i was crying like a baby.  I was so distraught over it that i called the poly detective and he said something like "well, why is this bothering you so much?  is there something you want to tell me?"

and i said "Yes! I DIDN'T DO IT!!!"   

but like i said , it didn't matter.

I can't withhold the fact that i applied, and i can't withhold the fact that i took (and failed) a poly.  I know that i have to discuss it with them.  My problem with the system is that the poly detectives view their computer chart as a crystal ball.  They are unwilling to admit that there can be false-positives.  At least, that is what their attitude was towards me.

There doesn't appear to be any way for a person who gets a false positive to clear themselves.  It's 'you against the machine', and the human seems to lose these battles. 

I am very interested in hearing from POLYGRAPH DETECTIVES.  I didn't lie on my polygraph.   

-What can I do?
-How can I expect to be treated?
-How have you handled people who come to you with my situation.

I want to maintain my respect for the officers who perform this duty for the department, but I have to say that my personal experience was nightmarish because I DIDN'T DO IT.

Please comment.

thanks,
D

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #8 - Oct 14th, 2003 at 7:28pm
TheDad,

I am also interested in the anwers to your questions that any polygraph examiners who read this message board may care to post. Perhaps some might also explain how polygraph examiners are to handle subjects who admit to understing "the lie behind the lie detector." I have put this question to American Polygraph Association president Skip Webb, but he declined to answer:

http://antipolygraph.org/read.shtml#informed-subjects

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Reply #9 - Oct 14th, 2003 at 7:30pm
Dad,

Do you recall the "control" questions from your first polygraph? Those are the ones they wanted you to lie on (without telling you that, of course). If you answered the controls honestly (not what the polygrapher wants) you would be more likely to respond more highly to the accusatory cocaine question even though you have never used it. The controls are selected such that most everyone will lie and feel guilty about them. You will typically be more focussed and antsy on properly selected controls than on the relevants (like the cocaine Q). Unfortunately, people that are unusually honest and don't lie on the controls are at a disadvantage.

-Marty

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #10 - Oct 14th, 2003 at 7:43pm
!!!

i was honest in my control questions.

if what you say is true, then i would have been flat-lining on my control questions.  Why on earth would i lie to the control questions???  that seems stupid to me.

what you're saying is that an honest person has a higher chance of getting a false positive!

have i ever lied to a loved one?  of course, or at least withheld all information about a particular subject.  I have to! I'm in a position of trust in my church, and I work for the Navy as a contractor where I often have access to patient records.  I could have a horrible day, and when my wife asks: "did you have a good day?", do you think I'm going to ruin hers?  You BET i had a good day, and it's going to get even better now that i'm home...

have i ever stolen anything?  yeah, as a kid i stole a magazine (or a comic book).  i think i was 10.  Oh, and i still feel guilty about it.   

anyway, it seems that honesty is NOT rewarded by the system.  I guess some of you are laughing at me, thinking "duh.  of course, moron."   

Well, I'm learning fast.

Again, to the poly detectives:

I didn't lie on my polygraph.   

-What can I do? 
-How can I expect to be treated? 
-How have you handled people who come to you with my situation. 

thanks for your time,
D

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box MayIHaveAnother

Reply #11 - Oct 14th, 2003 at 7:59pm

George,

I am in queue for yet another CI poly at an Intel
agency.  Your question, as to how polygraphers might
react to those who have visited this site, was asked to
me at my last poly.  The guy was professional (well, he
didn't play the good cop/bad cop routine) and we ran
through the test just a few times, and there were no
concerns, or post-interrogation.  He also warned me
about spiking the control questions.  Anyway, I have
taken so many of the polys, that I knew I had passed.
Guess what  ?  I have to go back again !  If they don't
want to give me access, then they should just say so.
I am one of the lucky ones, that received a DoD TS many
years ago, so that, if I don't get access, I am not totally
hosed.  I think the whole thing, with the poly, is a
disgrace, that they can't trust people who are already
cleared.  I bet that 99.99% of Americans are loyal,
especially after 9/11.  For my previous poly, before last, 
I got the bad cop.  The poly chair looked like something
out of a cartoon - an oversized wooden chair covered
with what looked like carpet.  At one point, he wanted
me to lie (directed lie control test ?), but I didn't, so
he slammed down his fist and wheeled his chair over
in front of me, to get into my face.  I knew that that poly
was history.  I am really wondering, if this is all worth it.
The job market is tighter, just for a TS, but for a TS/SCI,
there is no end.  I am not one to use CMs, but if they 
have many charts on someone, then the use of CMs
would be obvious, when the control questions spike.
Too bad this site wasn't available years ago, when I
first started this nonsense...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #12 - Oct 14th, 2003 at 8:10pm
MayIHaveAnother,

What did you tell your polygraph examiner about your knowledge of polygraphy?

Note that within the Department of Defense, for the past several years running, the only individuals who have ultimately (after all "re-tests") failed their counterintelligence-scope polygraph examinations have been those who made "substantive" admissions. See How to Pass the DoD CI-Scope Polygraph.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Reply #13 - Oct 14th, 2003 at 8:10pm
TheDad wrote on Oct 14th, 2003 at 7:43pm:
!!!
i was honest in my control questions.

if what you say is true, then i would have been flat-lining on my control questions.  Why on earth would i lie to the control questions???  that seems stupid to me.

what you're saying is that an honest person has a higher chance of getting a false positive!

That's exactly what I'm saying. When you answer control questions like "did you ever lie to your wife" with examples like you stated, the examiner will reword the question to exclude only what you used as an example and admonish you about the evils of lying in order to get you to lie on the control AND react to that question.

This should be very clear to you after reading TLBTLD. Unless it is both clear and intuitive I would not suggest using or attempting to use CM's. After you completely understand what they are trying to do you can make a more informed decision about how to proceed. Personally, I like the "total honesty" approach. I would do this:

1. Admit I had studied the polygraph as a result of failing the first exam.

2. Get a copy of polygrapher's materials that describe CQT polygraphy.

3. During the prelim phase, they will almost certainly then try to buffalo you about the "false information" on the web. Just go along with the program until they review the questions with you then point out the "controls" and state that you both know from your studying they are controls and that you are also telling the truth on them and that you feel very frustrated because you don't want to lie. Don't be accusatory. If the examiner fails you at least make him lose some sleep knowing that he may well have failed a very honest person.

-Marty

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box MayIHaveAnother

Reply #14 - Oct 14th, 2003 at 8:29pm

George,

He asked me what I had read about CMs, and I told
him the usual;  biting the tongue, sphincter muscle, and
tac in shoe.  I forgot to mention the deodorant on the
fingertips.  I really don't know why I need to go back,
but I bet I get the bad cop again, then I will fail.  I
don't think any polygrapher is going to lose sleep over
failing an honest person.  I wonder if they are going
to start failing anyone who has a hint of what is going
on.  Although I was holding back, on the first couple of
tests, the last two I was up front with them (it concerns
an issue that is a non-issue)...

IP Logged

Preparing for a 2nd Poly

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X