Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Preparing for a 2nd Poly (Read 7602 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box MayIHaveAnother

Re: Preparing for a 2nd Poly
Reply #15 - Oct 14th, 2003 at 8:36pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  

George,

I also told the polygrapher that I knew it was just an
interrogation and that it was too bad that they had
no other tools, besides the poly.  What they should
really do, is to look more closely in peoples finances,
and require pepole to turn in financial statements.
Haven't most of the spy cases been financially motivated ?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Kona
Very Senior User

Reply #16 - Oct 15th, 2003 at 7:11am
Dad,

You need to concentrate on the present, not the past.  Obviously you told the truth by disclosing that you applied to another law enforcement agency.  Obviously you wouldn't try to hide the fact that you failed a previous polygraph with that agency.  That would just be stupid.  If you told the total truth on that polygraph, then you really DON'T know why you failed, do you?  That is all you have to tell the polygrapher, and leave it at that.  Don't go off on a tirade on how you were wronged, or how you've since studied the polygraph, and know everything about it.  I guarantee that if you do that, you will be setting yourself up for failure.  Just answer his questions, keep your opinions to yourself, and use countermeasures.  Bottom line, you have to ask yourself a question; do you want the job or not?  If you do, then just play the game, and get over this hurdle.

May I have another,

Sounds like your mouth is your worst enemy.  Why on earth would you admit to knowing about countermeasures?  Strike one. Why in the hell would you ever tell the polygrapher that you know this is just an interrogation, and that it's too bad they don't have any other tools besides the polygraph?  Strike two.  He's now got you labeled as a smart ass know it all, is fully expecting you to use countermeasures, and probably won't hesitate to DQ your ass at the slightest irregularity on the charts.  Strike three, you're out!

Good luck, I am very curious to see how do on any retest.

Kona

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box TheDad
New User

Reply #17 - Oct 15th, 2003 at 7:37am
Kona,

that makes sense.

thanks.

D

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Reply #18 - Oct 15th, 2003 at 7:54am
Kona wrote on Oct 15th, 2003 at 7:11am:
Dad,

You need to concentrate on the present, not the past.  Obviously you told the truth by disclosing that you applied to another law enforcement agency.  Obviously you wouldn't try to hide the fact that you failed a previous polygraph with that agency.  That would just be stupid.  If you told the total truth on that polygraph, then you really DON'T know why you failed, do you?  That is all you have to tell the polygrapher, and leave it at that.  Don't go off on a tirade on how you were wronged, or how you've since studied the polygraph, and know everything about it.  I guarantee that if you do that, you will be setting yourself up for failure.  Just answer his questions, keep your opinions to yourself, and use countermeasures.  Bottom line, you have to ask yourself a question; do you want the job or not?  If you do, then just play the game, and get over this hurdle.

Kona

There is the basic problem of what is honest. Is it honest to lie in order to pass a polygraph? Sure it can be rationalized with the argument that it's only in response the polygrapher's lies. That's not a bad argument. Still, it eats at me as well as many others that have posted. I am just glad I don't have to face such choices.

In any case, if a person decides to use countermeasures, that person should absolutely feel comfortable understanding what the polygrapher is trying to do, especially in the interview phase where the controls will be selected and reviewed. If one doesn't handle this properly one is more likely to be suspected of using CM's and in that case it wouldn't be a false positive.

-Marty

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Kona
Very Senior User

Reply #19 - Oct 15th, 2003 at 11:01am
Marty,

Your point is well taken.  Dad is probably asking himself, "is using countermeasures dishonest?"  The way I look at it, the answer is a resounding NO.  You can call it rationalization if you want, I don't have a problem with that at all.  The bottom line is that the whole polygraph process for law enforcement pre-employment interviews is flawed.  It is no more accurate in determining if someone is telling the truth than flipping a coin.  Since I had told the truth all along to my Background Investigator, I approached the polygraph as just another hurdle that had to be passed in order to become a cop, not some huge moral dilema. 

I ended up taking a total of three polygraphs with two different agencies in my quest for a job as a cop.  I told the truth with no countermeasures on the first one and passed.  I took my second polygraph with a different police dept, told the truth with no countermeasures, and had some problems with some drug and sex questions.  Thankfully, I was granted a retest a week later, and passed telling the same truth and using countermeasures.   

Marty is absolutely correct that you need to have a solid understanding of the whole process, not just the ability to employ countermeasures.  Anyone that is considering utilizing countermeasures must read TLBTLD carefully, and practice.  If you can afford Doug Williams' book, read that too because he really explains the whole process, and you will know all the polygrapher's tricks.   

Kona

IP Logged

Preparing for a 2nd Poly

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X