Normal Topic SF-86 and Security Clearance Investigation (Read 21393 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anonymous

SF-86 and Security Clearance Investigation
Sep 28th, 2003 at 8:44am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I am in DEP. My job only requires a SECRET clearance. But in the event I get stationed at a base that requires TOP SECRET, I know they will do the investigation. The form SF-86 asks if I had ever seen a psychologist, counselor, etc. I answered NO fearing it would disqualify me from enlistment. If they do run a check on me for TS clearance, will they find out? If so what would the consequence be? How could they find out? Thanks

Reply email please

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box anonymous

Re: SF-86 and Security Clearance Investigation
Reply #1 - Oct 1st, 2003 at 8:30pm

If your counseling was for marital, grief, or related
issues, then it is looked upon favorably that you seeked
out help.  Your first mistake was not telling DSS about it;
if they find out you lied, they will get you on personal
conduct.  Everyone has personal issues, but you have
to be truthful with them...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box pk

Reply #2 - Oct 1st, 2003 at 8:41pm
I'd do an adendum to your clearance before it goes any further and tell them you had forgot about the counseling when you filled it out the first time or you'll find yourself in a world of hurt and at the very least, loose a stripe and some time on the beach WHEN they find out, not IF, but WHEN.  BTW, they will do the investigation clearing you for a Top Secret but will only grant you the Secret clearance until you have the need for the higher clearance.  This goes back to the Walker case.  List every counselor, even your high school guidance counselor to be safe.  No reason to start your career off bad.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box lastone
New User

Reply #3 - Apr 4th, 2004 at 7:24am
It is possible for one to obtain an accurate prediction of how one would do (regarding potential success/failure) if processed for a high-level securityi clearance.  There has been a psychological type test developed that supposedly predicts, with better than about a 95% accuracy level, if he/she will eventually, following all of the processing and adjudication, be granted a security clearance.  The test is called the "PSSPQ" and it was developed by a psychologist who worked almost a quarter century for one of our County's largest intelligence agencies.  You can find out more about this test by asking most of the major internet search engines to look up "PSSPQ"

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box triple x
Very Senior User

Fear what you cannot see...

Reply #4 - Apr 5th, 2004 at 1:22am
Question for all guest's and registered members,

Could someone please define the difference between a DoD security clearance versus a DoJ [Department of Justice] security clearance background investigation? Why is one security clearance not accepted or recognized by the other? 

More specifically: 

1) For a DoD security clearance, DSS and/or OPM does the SF-86 background investigation and grants/denies the level of clearance requested.
2) For a DoJ security clearance, the FBI does the SF-86 background investigation, and grants/denies the level of clearance requested.

If a candidate for employment with a Federal agency currently possesses a DoD security clearance, why would the DoJ require or “not recognize” the current security clearance issued by DSS and/or OPM?

Why does the DoJ not recognize/accept a DSS or OPM granted security clearance background investigation?

Also, I’ve been told the DoJ will require a “lifestyle” polygraph exam if transitioning from a current DoD security clearance to a DoJ security clearance, in addition to a complete DoJ background investigation.

Can anyone confirm this information to be accurate.?

V/R
Triple x

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box False +
Senior User

Reply #5 - Apr 5th, 2004 at 3:28am
Triple x,

I will not lay claim to being an expert on this, but based on much reading on agency clearances, I can throw in my 2 cents.

It is my understanding that the fundamental reason a clearance from one agency is not necessarily recognized by another is that there is an inherent mistrust between federal agencies. I believe that clearances are not readily transferable across agencies for this reason. For example, I'm sure you've heard about how the CIA has kept certain details of counter-terrorism investigations from its FBI homologues -- to the detriment of national security. I don't doubt FBI has done the same. The NSA is similarly not blameless.

This practice, much like polygraph, has a tremendous inertia behind it. I don't know if there has been a push to streamline clearances across agencies...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box triple x
Very Senior User

Fear what you cannot see...

Reply #6 - Apr 5th, 2004 at 5:11am
False +,

I appreciate and respect your response, thanks.

I simply can’t understand why some federal agencies will not recognize/accept a security clearance issued and granted by DSS, DIS, DISCO, DOHA, or OPM [Office of Personnel Management] for the Department of Defense. 

DoD security clearances are acceptable for high-level Government TS/SAP/SAR programs [Top Secret Special Access Requirement] to include Military and Government un-acknowledgeable programs deemed above top secret.

Does anyone know what the FBI does differently during a security clearance background investigation for a potential FBI candidate for employment, that is not done by DSS and/or OPM during a security clearance background investigation for the DoD.?

What is it that sets the Department of Justice apart from the Department of Defense with respect to security clearance background investigations?

Does anyone know for certain?

Triple x

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box False +
Senior User

Reply #7 - Apr 5th, 2004 at 10:30am
Triple x,

One thing came to mind as I was reading your latest reply. 

If clearances were in fact more easily transferable than presently, you could bet many people in government, to include a bevy of security investigators working in each agency, would loose their jobs. These investagators have, to an extent or another, sufficient clout to shape security policy at their respective agency -- read support the continuance of their current positions. 

It is not in the nature of government to be efficient and economical, precisely because many would loose their precious positions. Then again, I'm not the expert here.

Regards,

False +

IP Logged

SF-86 and Security Clearance Investigation

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X