Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) LAPD Poly (Read 15364 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box guest

Re: LAPD Poly
Reply #30 - Oct 10th, 2003 at 6:58am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Not to throw darts at Ray, but if he thinks for a second that cops are not getting hired every day that have beaten the polygraph, he is out of his mind.  I'll go one step futher and state that the numbers are growing every day.  On the flip side, did it ever occur to polygraphists that maybe they are routinely scoring false negatives as well.  I know for a fact this happens.  I'll leave it at that.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ray
Senior User

Reply #31 - Oct 10th, 2003 at 8:09am
George,

Quote:
The National Academy of Sciences didn't believe this claim of the polygraph community, concluding instead that "the evidence does not provide confidence that polygraph accuracy is robust against potential countermeasures."

Prior to the NAS study, C/M's were really not focused on in the polygraph community.  All I will tell you is that this has changed.  I think the NAS study helped our cause more than it helped yours.  Let me use a sports analogy here for you George.  I'm on defense, you're on offense.  Am I going to tell you what I'm going to do to stop your play?  Would that be wise?   

Quote:
Are you insinuating that those who have shared their experiences of falsely being accused of deception are making it up?

Not entirely.  I'm saying it's a one sided statement.  Are you saying that all of those personal statements are 100% accurate?  Is it possible some things were embellished or perhaps left out all together?  You seem to present them as fact.

Quote:
Moreover, his status as a convicted sex offender has no bearing on the validity of anything he may say about polygraph matters.  Ray, your post provides nothing but ad hominem arguments. Rather than personally attacking those who have shared their polygraph experiences, or questioning my motives, or Mr. Truth's character, why don't you provide us with rational arguments?

Who have I personally attacked?  Did I call anyone a bad name?  Point it out for me.  I'm just stating the facts.  Bushido71 has asked for feedback and I'm giving it to him.  I think Mr. Truth's status as a convicted sex offender would have some bearing on his credibility and the validity of his statements, especially for someone looking to get into the field of LE.    

Being that bushido71 is considering following your advice, I think your motivation for publishing this website should be considered.  If your motivation is so genuine, why do you feel as though I've personally attacked you?  Perhaps I've struck a cord?

By the way, my post was not intended for you George.  I was attempting to give Bushido 71 another opinion.   

Mr. Truth,
Quote:
The label everyone likes to use (sex offender) negates everything else in life I've accomplished?

Yes it does.  Walk up to a complete stranger and list all of your accomplishments...then explain to them that you're a convicted sex offender.  Sorry man, that's life.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #32 - Oct 10th, 2003 at 9:02am
Quote:
Not to throw darts at Ray, but if he thinks for a second that cops are not getting hired every day that have beaten the polygraph, he is out of his mind.  I'll go one step futher and state that the numbers are growing every day.  On the flip side, did it ever occur to polygraphists that maybe they are routinely scoring false negatives as well.  I know for a fact this happens.  I'll leave it at that.  

For an illustration of Guest's point, see Friend Lied on Polygraph and Passed on the RealPolice.net. message board.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #33 - Oct 10th, 2003 at 9:52am
Ray,

Quote:
Prior to the NAS study, C/M's were really not focused on in the polygraph community.  All I will tell you is that this has changed.

So you would have us believe that the polygraph community's ability to detect countermeasures only began after the NAS study -- that you've suddenly come up with a reliable countermeasure detection method? But polygraphers have been claiming to be able to detect countermeasures long before then.

Quote:
I think the NAS study helped our cause more than it helped yours.

Wishful thinking, Ray.

Quote:
Let me use a sports analogy here for you George.  I'm on defense, you're on offense.  Am I going to tell you what I'm going to do to stop your play?  Would that be wise?

With the above, you have tacitly conceded that any approach you may have for attempting to detect countermeasures depends on deceit. No technique that relies on such gamesmanship is going to remain viable for long.

You (and other polygraphers) discourage the use of countermeasures. You want the public to believe that you have the ability to detect them. But you offer no evidence whatsoever in support of this claimed ability.

Dr. Richardson's polygraph countermeasure challenge offers an excellent avenue for demonstrating such an ability without divulging your "game plan." Sorry, Ray, the claim that countermeasure detection cannot be demonstrated for fear of disclosing secrets of the trade will only be convincing to the most simpleminded of audiences.

Quote:
Not entirely.  I'm saying it's a one sided statement.  Are you saying that all of those personal statements are 100% accurate?  Is it possible some things were embellished or perhaps left out all together?  You seem to present them as fact.

I cannot say with certainty that the public statements made by various self-described polygraph victims are 100% accurate. But I have no reason to doubt them.

You went beyond saying that the statements are "one-sided." You attacked the integrity of those making the statements when you earlier wrote, "I guarantee that some of those personal statements leave out info which isn't so flattering to the examinee."

Quote:
Who have I personally attacked?  Did I call anyone a bad name?  Point it out for me.  I'm just stating the facts.

You made a general ad hominem attack against the authors of the personal statements posted on this site. You also attacked me, personally, when you wrote the following:

Quote:
Look at who's trying to give you advice on this site.  Who are they and what are their motivations?  George isn't trying to help you...he wants you to further his crusade.  He tells applicants to refuse to take the poly.  Why?  Because he thinks it's a slap in the face to the polygraph field.  How is that going to help you?  You have no chance at your dream if you do that.  George wants you to "take one for the team."

You also personally attacked Mr. Truth, with the following:

Quote:
Mr. Truth, a convicted sex offender, is telling you how to get on the job wtih the LAPD.  Are you kidding me??  The type of person you are looking to protect this world from is trying to "help" you.  I'm sure he's a nice guy but it is what it is.

What you have not done is to provide anything resembling a rational argument in support of your claim that if bushido71 employs countermeasures, he has a "very good chance" of being detected.

Quote:
Bushido71 has asked for feedback and I'm giving it to him.  I think Mr. Truth's status as a convicted sex offender would have some bearing on his credibility and the validity of his statements, especially for someone looking to get into the field of LE.

No, Mr. Truth's status as a convicted sex offender has no bearing whatsoever on the validity anything he says about polygraph matters. Why not address what he has to say with rational arguments, rather than ad hominem attacks? Perhaps because you can't?

Quote:
Being that bushido71 is considering following your advice, I think your motivation for publishing this website should be considered.  If your motivation is so genuine, why do you feel as though I've personally attacked you?  Perhaps I've struck a cord?

There you go again with yet another ad hominem attack instead of rational argument. It appears that you do not understand just what the term ad hominem means. You'll find it explained here:

http://www.datanation.com/fallacies/attack.htm

My motivation has no bearing on the truth or falsity of what I have to say about polygraph matters. But my motives in helping to create and maintain AntiPolygraph.org are simple: to expose and end polygraph waste, fraud, and abuse. Part of that involves educating the public about polygraphy and helping those who face polygraph "testing" to protect themselves against the very real risk of a false positive outcome. All information on AntiPolygraph.org is free, and no one involved with this website receives any payment either in cash or in kind for their time and effort. I don't know what purer motive you expect.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #34 - Oct 10th, 2003 at 4:53pm
As an interested bystander, I have come to some conclusions and still have some questions.

Apparently this website and Doug Williams' paper has caused great paranoia in the polygraph community. Especially federal job screening. Else, why would the question "have you researched polygraph" become part of the polygraph interrogation. If the poly is so infallible, what the hell difference does it make? If the defense (poly) is penetrated by the offense (anti-poly) for a touchdown, which has apparently happened, why does the poly maintain the same defense (personal attacks, etc.). Is it because they have no structure to plug the holes?

I could go on and on, but I know what "ad hominy" means, so I will stop the observations here.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box California cop

Reply #35 - Oct 11th, 2003 at 1:28am
I read the post on RealPolice.net and I am not surprised to hear a comment like that.  I don't think it is all that uncommon of an occurence.  Throughout 11 years of being a police officer, I have heard of many instances where fellow officers claim to "have a friend" who lied about serious matters on their polygraph exams and passed.  To any police officer in the know, this is not a surprise.  It would be nice if there were a tried and true means of lie detection, but unfortunately there really isn't.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
LAPD Poly

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X