Normal Topic NSA pre-employment polygraph examination(s) (Read 4171 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dercak
New User

NSA pre-employment polygraph examination(s)
Aug 3rd, 2003 at 11:59am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I am a high school student who applied to NSA as part of a work study program through my high school.

I have thus far taken 3 polygraph tests, and 1 "security interview" which I can only describe as a polygraph test without the machine.  I was told during my 3rd polygraph that it was my "last chance."   

The application process started in September of last year, with the polygraphs being in October, December, and February.

All other applicants I know of have either received a letter of rejection, or a job offer. 
I have only received an email telling me that I had to come in for a 4th polygraph test.  My school received a list of those hired and those not, I was on neither list. They assumed I was not hired and want me to change my schedule for next year.

My little story aside, I was wondering if I should expect something different for this polygraph? Or will it be the same as the others where I tell them truth, and they tell me I'm not.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: NSA pre-employment polygraph examination(s)
Reply #1 - Aug 4th, 2003 at 7:37am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
dercak,

Be aware that you've probably posted enough information for the NSA polygraph unit to identify you. (Polygraphers from various federal agencies read the posts here, and there are presumably not many high school students applying for work-study programs who were polygraphed in October, December, and February and have been scheduled for a fourth polygraph.)

I cannot predict how your fourth polygraph "test" will go, but I can give you some background information that may be helpful.

It is not unusual for NSA applicants to be polygraphed as many as three times; indeed, multiple polygraph interrogations seems to be the rule rather than the exception. A fourth polygraph examination is less common. According to the NSA polygraph regulation, it requires the decision of the Director of Security. Any additional polygraph examinations require the approval of the Deputy Director for Administration.

If you haven't already done so, you might download The Lie Behind the Lie Detector and peruse Chapter 3, which includes a description of the Relevant/Irrelevant polygraph technique used by the NSA for screening purposes.

The Relevant/Irrelevant technique, by the way, has no scientific basis whatsoever and is completely invalid as a diagnostic test for truth versus deception. It is based on wildly implausible assumptions and has long been discredited even amongst the polygraph community itself. It is a national embarrassment that our country's most high tech intelligence-gathering agency is relying on such quackery to make decisions about the honesty and integrity of applicants and employees.

Chapter 4 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector includes tips on how to protect yourself against a false positive outcome. If I were you, I would adopt the "complete honesty" approach described in Chapter 4. That is, when you go for your fourth polygraph examination, be candid with your polygrapher regarding what you've learned about polygraphy, including the fact that you've visited AntiPolygraph.org, and hope for the best.

I think your post here presents the NSA polygraph unit an ethical dilemma: do you fail a high school student simply for having educated him/herself about polygraphy and posted on this website?

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

NSA pre-employment polygraph examination(s)

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X