Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) I had my poly! (Read 37176 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Poly-Killer
Senior User

"Knock, Knock!"

Re: I had my poly!
Reply #30 - Jul 20th, 2003 at 5:52pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Public Servant,

Some investigator you are, go back and read my posts in this thread.

First of all, Columbo, I'm NOT new to the force...nearly 8 years here. Now that's exactly "veteran" status, but definitely not a newby. 8)

Where did I say ANYTHING about "chicks" digging you? I said TRYING to pick up the local badge bunnies...not necessarily being SUCCESSFUL at it.  Wink

As far as you self-proclaimed "good looks, charm"...blah blah blah, I'm a little skeptical here. If you've kept yourself in good physical condition, kudos to you (seriously) but that would make you the exception to what I have seen to be the rule. Examiners are typically of the more "portly" variety. With all the charm of a ticked off crack-whore.  Shocked

Our investigators/examiners, except for one (the other retired) do either screening OR specific, not both.

I do agree LE is faced with a problem of keeping out the bad apples. I wish there was a better solution to weeding out all the bad apples. Who's to say that they (some of the bad apples) weren't just fine when they joined, and got all boogered up by the job. I've seen that happen. I just dont think a screening poly isn't the anwser. Don't ask me what is, if I knew Id be rich. 

Anyway, take care,

PK

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ray
Senior User

Reply #31 - Jul 20th, 2003 at 10:28pm
PK,

Quote:
2 of them requested 2nd polys by independent 3rd party examiners and were cleared.

So the polygraph does work!!  They were cleared.  Based on your position on the polygraph, I would not make that claim.  Also, are you claiming you know everything about these guys?  That is not reasonable.  You would have to be with someone every waking moment to testify to all of the issues in a polygraph.  You may "kinda know what he's about but, that doesn't mean he doesn't have a hidden relevant issue or two. 

Quote:
Second, the types of BI that I am speaking about wouldn't need to discover very minor issues, as they are almost always no indication of the true character of a person anyway. Example: 31 yr old male that drove drunk 2 or 3 times when he was 19 yrs old in college. Is it relevant whether a BI uncovers that?

Here you go again determining what is important to the hiring agency.  The example you gave would not disqualify most applicants.  However, in your case, drug usage DOES disqualify applicants.  A BI often does not discover drug usage.  Hello polygraph. 

Quote:
Fourth, "Lie and cheat"?...That's stretching it a bit...I did lie about the NUMBER of times I smoked MJ, and I'm not sure to what extent. All I know is that I was WELL outside the timeframe for use (I think the policy is 5 years), but I believe I exceeded the number of uses permitted (20 or less). Did I keep a log? NO. But it was very infrequent use and I never purchased it. For that matter, I can't say, with 100% certainty that it WAS more than 20, I just think it PROBABLY was. Either way, I had NO problem with "cheating" on that question...it's stupid. Like I said, I feel it's ridiculous to say "20 times, you're good to go...21 times, go home, you can't be a cop." It's irrelevant to me that any of this "concerns" you. 

The point is you lied on your application forms.  That is a demonstration of your integrity level.  THAT concerns me.  If you feel this is not a demostration of your integrity level let me know.  It also appears as though you not only lied your agency but, three others as well.  A further indication of your integrity.  I don't care if the policy says 500 times or 20 times...that is the policy. Bottom line.  By the way, 20 times sounds very liberal to me.  Also, if you can't remember the number of times you used MJ, that tells us a little about your usage history. 

Quote:
You know, Ray, you have certainly taken a high moral stance for someone who LIES FOR A LIVING, don't ya think? It's kinda like a car thief condemning someone for stealing a candy bar as a child. 

This always amuses me.  We lie for a living...yes I do.  Let's look at this a little closer.  Well you're the poly expert so you know why I lie in the pre-test.  It has to do with psyche set and allowing the innocent examinee a place to go.  I'm a real scumbag.  Now during the interrogation I deceive in order to resolve the issue.  All good interrogators do this.  You should know this.  The lies told in the course of a polygraph pale in comparison to your lies, PK.  The only reason you antipoly people take the position that examiners are liars  and "lie for a living" is that it's at easy shot at us and technically, you're correct.  You never explain why we lie.  Is it done to conceal our serious past misdeeds like you?  Explain to me why we lie.  I'm serious.  Tell me in your own words why examiners lie.  What is the intent behind our lies?   

Quote:
Fact is, Ray (and other poly-screeners out there), when I retire (or die trying) I'll go KNOWING I served my profession, my community and those close to me with integrity, respect and dedication. What will you have? IF you have any shred of conscience left, I suspect you'll have a head full of bad memories...memories filled with lies, trickery, deceit and mind games.

What will I have?  PK let's be honest.  I have resolved far more homocides, rapes, child abuse and robbery cases than you will in your career.  Refer back a paragraph to my "why we lie" comments.  I want you seriously answer that question.   

"...lies, trickery, deceit and mindgames."  If you're a good interrogator your career will be full of these things as well.

Quote:
. I'm out on the street, doing what poly examiners won't (or can't) do. Why do poly examiners become poly examiners anyway? Are they cops that can't handle the street? Too old for SWAT or SRT, too scared for vice or narc work? Don't like not having total control and being able to intimidate others? I just don't recall ever hearing one single person in either of my academy classes say "I can't wait to be a polygraph examiner!" Some say swat, some UC work, some K9, some want brass.

You are one macho guy!  Let me tell you about my history.  To begin with, my time in special forces units in the military quenched my thirst for any sort of SWAT work...  K9's are not my thing...UC work gets old very quick...chasing the brass? already got some thanks.  I worked every crime under the sun as an investigator in a large metro area.  I gained a reputation for getting confessions.  (As you should know, in order to develop informants and make cases you must be a good interrogator).  I found that I really enjoyed this aspect of police work.  So I kind of fell into polygraph.  It was a chance to do interview and interrogation on a daily basis.  You may not think good interrogators do "real police work" but you're still young.  You may find one day that there is more to police work than acting macho, wrestling with suspects and slapping cuffs on perps (by the way, I still do these things...as do most examiners...and I know more examiners than you do!)  Maybe you've been exposed to some "weak" examiners but I assure you I am the norm and not the exception.   

Quote:
Examiners are typically of the more "portly" variety.

Back this statement up.  Don't just say "from what I hear."  From my calcualtions you've come across 5 examiners in your life.  If you can't back it up, don't say it.  You are quick to make personal slams with no evidence.  Makes you look silly.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Batman
Very Senior User

Reply #32 - Jul 20th, 2003 at 11:09pm
Poly-Killer:

You have one hell of a crappy 'tude for a cop on the beat.  Actually I have some serious doubts as to the authenticity of your claim to wearing the 'Blue'.  However, if you really are on the job, you are clearly destined to be a great back office puke!

By the way, love your little SWAT figure.  Do you go to bed every night reading your latest issue of SOF?

And what's with the "Poly-Killer" pseudo?  Exactly who is it you've killed?  If you are a gun totin' badge carrier, the world has something to fear.

BATMAN

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Reply #33 - Jul 20th, 2003 at 11:41pm
Ray wrote on Jul 20th, 2003 at 10:28pm:

This always amuses me.  We lie for a living...yes I do.  Let's look at this a little closer.  Well you're the poly expert so you know why I lie in the pre-test.  It has to do with psyche set and allowing the innocent examinee a place to go.  I'm a real scumbag.  Now during the interrogation I deceive in order to resolve the issue.  All good interrogators do this.  You should know this.  The lies told in the course of a polygraph pale in comparison to your lies, PK.  The only reason you antipoly people take the position that examiners are liars  and "lie for a living" is that it's at easy shot at us and technically, you're correct.  You never explain why we lie.  Is it done to conceal our serious past misdeeds like you?  Explain to me why we lie.  I'm serious.  Tell me in your own words why examiners lie.  What is the intent behind our lies?  

You are right, it is a cheap shot, it's just so damned hard for people to resist given the stated goal of the polygraph. Wink The bigger problem is the innocent examinee who understands the workings of the polygraph and hence is at a disadvantage since you can't provide the innocent a "place to go." The inverse is problematic as well, a totally honest individual is at a disadvantage since the P in the PLCQT does not stand for "Certainty" though the exam will be scored as if it were.
Quote:

"...lies, trickery, deceit and mindgames."  If you're a good interrogator your career will be full of these things as well.

This is very true (it was curiousity about "profilers" that led me to research interrogation psychology and the polygraph). After gaining the confidence of a child abuser or murderer - and giving them a place to go, ie: rationalize to a sympathetic ear, you must want to go out and shower then get drunk. Important, job, with seriously disturbing aspects.

-Marty
« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2003 at 12:16am by Marty »  

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box suethem
Very Senior User

Reply #34 - Jul 21st, 2003 at 1:43am
Ray,

We all know why investigators lie to suspects - to get confessions- standard stuff.

My problem with the polygraph issue is that unless there is a confession- you don't really get an accurate conclusion (and sometimes, not often, but some times, people do confess to things they never did).

When polygraphers (pre- employ) get DI from the computer and no confession they believe that the person lied.

I have heard all the 'para sympathetic' and 'repressed memory' fantasy psycho babble I ever care to hear.

I have been accused of dometic violence by one agency and told that that issue posed no problem by another.  Hmmm.  Since I know that I have never hit anyone in a domestic situation I am left to conclude that the machine is not accurate.

I have also been told that I reacted to leaking classified information by one agency.  Another passed me on that issue.  Hmm.  Since I know that I have never leaked anything, and would not tolerate that by others, I am left to conclude that the machine is not accurate.   

In one situtation a polygrapher asked why I reacted to a question about a drug issue.  I have never taken or even seen that kind of drug outside of a Court or LE setting- I have never arrested anyone for that type of drug possesion or even known anyone who has used that type of drug.  Hmm.

Then in  a ridiculous exchange the polygrapher wanted to talk about it.  He said that I was 'repressing a memory'.  When I told him that it was impossible to repress a memory of something that had never occured, he said there must be something.

At the end of him trying to coax a (faulty) confession he said, " well, usually I get someone to tell me something about what they didn't want to ..."   

He asked what I thought about polygraphy.  I told him that I read about the NAS report in the Times and thought that it wasn't accurate.   At that point he almost jumped out of his skin and said, "I don't want to hear your opinion!" --Then why did you ask asshole?   

Hmm as soon as you mention doubts about accuracy the interview is over- interesting.

I have been told similar stories by friends in LE about one agency saying your a thief (example) and another say your honest Abe.  -see "Fail here pass there" on this site.

So for pre-employment I can find little respect for polygraphers.

In criminal cases- yes poor, ignorant people will often confess. However  using a polygraph is just like lying about a witness or partner that rolled when the officer has just be out calling his husband/wife and saying that s/he will be late.

The issues I have with polygraphers is that they extend their lie outside of the jurisdiction of their confessional and tell the public outrageous claims of accuracy.   

Atleast use the code words 'investigative tool' , that way we all know what you mean (prop).  You can fool some people some of the time......

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #35 - Jul 21st, 2003 at 2:25am
Batman, 

Batman I don't think that PK takes his little swat guy logo too seriously.   I mean, you don't want us to actually believe that you are Batman, do you?

I don't think that Marty believes he is a wolf.

My name is not Sue.

As for SOF- I take offense.  What other magazine can tell you what guerilla war is going on in a country that used to have another name last year.  Not Redbook!!

Yes the daggers with a jeweled, dragon hilt are a bit much, but, like polygraphs- where there is a market!

I read  Time, Newsweek, Better homes and gardens, Playboy (just the articles), popular mechanics and guns and ammo just to name a few.  Some magzines  tell me that I have to use mulch in my flower beds, some tell me how to stay on target while on the move.   

Ray- 

whether your ex SF, made more arrests they Wyatt Earp, done it all and written the book is not really the issue.

You stated the your University requires a 'solid science background..." and that most examiners have the " necessary sciences prior to entering an accredited polygraph school."  So what happened?   You believe in science until it says that polygraph test are inaccurate and easily beaten.

There is a reason that real science has standards - thats to ensure accurate results.  You can't throw out the results (NAS) when they don't suit you.

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #36 - Jul 21st, 2003 at 3:32am
Suethem, Welcome to the debate.  Read all of the posts before putting in your two cents.  PK and I were discussing examiner qualifications - that is why I stated mine.  He, like you, has a distorted image of the examiners in LE.  All of my comments were responses to issues raised by PK.  Stay with us here.

Quote:
You stated the your University requires a 'solid science background..." and that most examiners have the " necessary sciences prior to entering an accredited polygraph school."  So what happened?   You believe in science until it says that polygraph test are inaccurate and easily beaten.

You took this out of context as well.  I was not bragging on my science expertise.  Someone asked me about it.  As far as the NAS study, I think it has flaws.  I don't feel that a lab setting is a place for polygraph to be studied.  A real world study would give us a better picture of polygraph.  I can only speak from my own experience.  But that is a debate for another time.  The issue in this thread is applicants lying on their application forms.

Quote:
In criminal cases- yes poor, ignorant people will often confess.

Maybe those are the only people you can get to confess...You obviously know nothing about interrogation.

Let me give you some stats.  In the last 30 applicant exams I have conducted, 11 have been DI/SR.  Of those 11, 9 gave admissions to the relevant issue they had failed (and I guarantee no background investigation would have caought these folks).  At the very worst, there were 2 false positives.  And yes, of the 19 that passed, I may have been "beaten" a few times.  Now without polygraph, 9 applicants who lied on their application forms would have been hired.  How would you address this issue?   

I don't claim polygraph is perfect.  I don't claim it to be a hard science.  It takes a skilled examiner to run a fair test and it is a necessary "tool" in the application process.

As far as your experiences go, I'd like you to expand on them.  For example, regarding the domestic violence issue what was the relevant question?  Was it a general crime question or specific to DV?  Were you told that you had failed the polygraph?  Crime and drugs are broad relevant questions...many times the examiner needs to find the issue.  One more question, how do you feel about applicants that lie on their application forms?  Do you give kudos to guys like PK who "beat" the polygraph?   

Marty,

Quote:
The bigger problem is the innocent examinee who understands the workings of the polygraph and hence is at a disadvantage since you can't provide the innocent a "place to go." The inverse is problematic as well, a totally honest individual is at a disadvantage since the P in the PLCQT does not stand for "Certainty" though the exam will be scored as if it were.

I disagree with this statement.  If an innocent examinee is not concerned about the relevant issue but knows he/she is lying to a control issue he will be NDI, regardless if you "understand" polygraph.  It may be more challenging for the examiner but it is still a fair exam.  Also, a totally honest individual?  Come on....I will never buy that statement...even from George.   

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box s-X-e
User

Reply #37 - Jul 21st, 2003 at 3:45am
Ray wrote on Jul 19th, 2003 at 3:50am:
....anyway, I feel strongly that through the use of varying techniques, practice and innovations, examiners have become much more proficient at seeing C/M's.  I believe this to be true due to an increase in verified C/M charts.  George doesn't have all of our secrets.  You just keep believing George when he tells you that examiners can't see C/M's.  You want us to prove it you. Why would we give you any help?  We have nothing to prove to you.  (Oh, and I know we're not perfect yet.  Just to head off any arguments there.)

Would you be willing to demonstrate this for both the pro and anti-polygraph communities? I'm not saying that you need to reveal how you do it, just show us that you can in fact detect countermeasures. 

I think Dr. Drew's challenge is still up.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Saidme
Especially Senior User

Reply #38 - Jul 21st, 2003 at 4:11am
Drew's challenge!  What a joke.  Any credibility he had went out the day his little clock started ticking.  What an idiot.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #39 - Jul 21st, 2003 at 4:32am
Ray,

What happened to those two false positives?  No confessions huh?   

I am sure that your concerned and have asked your supervisor to have a team of investigators get right to the heart of the matter.  The applicants will probably be 'cleared' in a matter of days...The Academy is tough boys/girls start those push ups now!

"maybe those are the only people you can get to confess... you obviously know nothing about interrogation."

If I know nothing about interrogations than it would be doubtful that any agency would put me in charge of confession taking- 

If no investigation is ever carried out then no investigation would have caught anything (sounds like a test paragraph).  ---You can't win the lotto unless you play!!!

My experience with domestic violence is nothing!  Never been a vicitm or perp. 

They only person I have ever hit was wearing gloves and head gear- and to be quite honest my blows were not that great- but I have a strong neck- because it snapped back about 20 times with out breaking.  Ahh academy memories....  Wait a minute, maybe thats the memory I 'repressed'- it surely was not a good one.  Me, I pick a Ranger with 30 pounds on me for my boxing partner.  I thought we were going to fight two other people, not each other!

Lying on applications-bad.

"Beating" the poly- Since it is not a valid test, I don't see a problem. 

I was told I failed by the polygrapher, when I called personnel later they told me I was Inconclusive- so the only one who lied to me was the polygrapher!

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #40 - Jul 21st, 2003 at 4:33am
Saidme,

Surely you can out smart an idiot!!  Step up to the plate!!!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Saidme
Especially Senior User

Reply #41 - Jul 21st, 2003 at 4:40am
Suethem

I've already offered my services to Drew should he ever be accused of a criminal matter.  Playing parlor games with him would prove little.  Wink 

IP Logged

Senior User

If no investigation is ever carrRe: I had my poly!
Reply #42 - Jul 21st, 2003 at 6:27am
Quote:
Would you be willing to demonstrate this for both the pro and anti-polygraph communities? I'm not saying that you need to reveal how you do it, just show us that you can in fact detect countermeasures.

You're right...we can't do it.  Just keep believing that.  If it was ethical I would post confessions applicants have made regarding CM's '"learned" on this site.  We're not perfect but, we're getting better.

Why would anyone take Drew's ridiculous "challenge"? What would I gain from proving that I can catch most CM's most of the time?  Nothing.....It's a losing proposition.  I'd prefer that you keep advocating their 
use.

Quote:
What happened to those two false positives?  No confessions huh?

I said "worse case" 2 false positives.  I highly doubt they were.  You're a good interrogator so you should be familiar with how a "guilty" person acts during an interrogation.  9 for 11.  That's over 90% correct on DI/SR charts.  Pretty damn good.  Remember, nothing is 100%, even in science.

Quote:
If no investigation is ever carried out then no investigation would have caught anything (sounds like a test paragraph).  ---You can't win the lotto unless you play!!!

What??  Who said BI's don't take place??  You're making assumptions.  Admissions to application falsifications are generally NOT discovered in a BI.  Correct me if I am wrong.  Stop with the damn BI argument!  Example:  an applicant does coke 2 times 6 years ago with a friend.  He says he's never used cocaine on his app forms.  What are the odds that will be discovered in a background?  Not good.  Example two:  Applicant downloads kiddy porn in the privacy of his home.  Will a BI reveal this?  No.  I suppose we could search all computers that applicants have.  Think that could be a little intrusive?  These are serious issues.  I'd bet good money that screening polys have uncovered many more issues like this than any other investigation could.  If you have a better idea how to resolve this issues, tell me because I'm listening...and don't tell me better BI's.  FYI- these admissions took place during 2 of those DI/SR tests I referred to.  Present that to the public and you see if they think two POSSIBLE, I repeat POSSIBLE,  false positives are worth it.   

Quote:
I was told I failed by the polygrapher, when I called personnel later they told me I was Inconclusive- so the only one who lied to me was the polygrapher!

Oh my God!  The scummy examiner lied to you.  You guys love to jump on George's "the only liar in the room is the examiner".  That makes me chuckle.  What's the big deal anyway?  It's called probing which happens during an Inconclusive.  Did he upset you?  Sorry if he wasn't nice to you.   

Quote:
My experience with domestic violence is nothing!  Never been a vicitm or perp.

You didn't answer my question.  What was the relevant question related to your "interrogation" about DV issues.  I'm willing to bet it was a general crime question.  Was this the inconclusive test?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box s-X-e
User

Re: If no investigation is ever carrRe: I had my p
Reply #43 - Jul 21st, 2003 at 6:56am
Ray wrote on Jul 21st, 2003 at 6:27am:
You're right...we can't do it.  Just keep believing that.  If it was ethical I would post confessions applicants have made regarding CM's '"learned" on this site.  We're not perfect but, we're getting better.

I don't know why you're willing to demonstrate that you can detect countermeasures through posting confessions (which would prove little), yet you are adamantly opposed to demonstrating your ability to detect them during an organized experiment (which would prove a lot). I guess I will just have to take your suggestion that I continue my belief that you cannot detect them. Smiley 

Quote:
Why would anyone take Drew's ridiculous "challenge"? What would I gain from proving that I can catch most CM's most of the time?  Nothing.....It's a losing proposition.

What would you gain? Credibility, for one thing. It's also possible that if the polygraph community didn't act so secretive regarding their ability to detect countermeasures (like you're doing) the NAS wouldn't have trashed the polygraph so badly in that area.

You made a comment earlier in this thread about anti-polygraph posters making "hollow" argument. Well, I don't think any argument is more hollow than stating, "I won't show you how, but just trust me, I can do it." 

Quote:
I'd prefer that you keep advocating their 
use.

If that were the case, why even make the claim that you can detect countermeasures? Why not feign ignorance, wait for examinees to employ them, and then bust them for it? 

I've seen quite a few polygraphers on here trying to 'help' examinees by telling them not to employ countermeasures because they will be caught and fail their test. Shouldn't they be advocating their use, instead of doing that as well?

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #44 - Jul 21st, 2003 at 7:18am
Ray,

You doubt that they were false positives now?   

Oh know it's possible false positives?

So now its possible that you have accused two innocent people of committing crimes or participating in actions that have barred them from employment in LE.   

Its possible that two people have been labled as liars by LE when in actuality they are innocent.

So you don't feel bad that you accuse innocent people?

Thats a great arguement for justice.  "We are usually right, most of the timeand when were wrong we don't care"

So your saying that the your department is going to go forward with the investigation for the two false positive cases, and if everything else pans out ok  they will get hired? Please!!

This should be the new pro-poly mantra

I don't care about the NAS report!
I don't care about Background investigations!
I don't care about Dr. Drews findings!
I don't care about scientific validity!
I don't care about what psychologist think about PLCQT!
I don't care about false positives!
I dont' care about Doug Williams!
I don't care about false negatives!

We get it - you don't care!!!

You obviously believe in the PLCQT.  I don't.

I am not sure I understand the very last paragraph of your statement.  My test was ultimately found to be inconclusive.  As stated elsewhere, later another agency asked me about DV and I passed with flying colors.   How do you explain that?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
I had my poly!

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X