Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) I had my poly! (Read 37187 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Poly-Killer
Senior User

"Knock, Knock!"

Re: I had my poly!
Reply #15 - Jul 19th, 2003 at 12:08am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Ray wrote on Jul 18th, 2003 at 9:46pm:
PK,
I am not Ray Latimer.  Just a guy who gets upset when he sees a person with integrity like Wombat lie and cheat his way into the LE field.

Ray,

I do agree, there are those who do NOT belong in LE. I'm not totally familiar with wombat's circumstances and why he felt he needed to lie. If continues his career with the same ideas, he will eventually be caught. On the other hand, maybe he won't lie anymore and go on to have a good career. He is the only that can make that decision.

When I began in LE, (nearly 8 years ago) I had to lie about high school marijuana use because of ridiculously strict guidelines in my area. The reasons I didn't have a huge problem with lying are simple. First, the usage was sparse, at most. Second, it was a long way behind me even back when I first applied ('94). Third, there is no true "standard", only bureaucratic ideas of what they "should" be. Which is why the "standards"are different from state to state, agency to agency, etc. I knew that stuff was WAY behind me when I applied and I have gone on to have a pretty darn good career so far. 

As far as integrity goes, I believe it depends on wombat's intentions for becoming an officer. If he is joining for any reason other than to help his community and only to benefit himself, he probably won't last anyway. If he is joining try to make a difference for the better in his community, then I wish him luck.

Best,
PK
« Last Edit: Jul 19th, 2003 at 1:14am by Poly-Killer »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anonymous

Reply #16 - Jul 19th, 2003 at 12:53am
Ray,

You write:

Quote:
...Contrary to what most anti-polygraph crusaders say, most examiners in the agencies and departments I am familiar with are selected to their position because of their outstanding track record in resolving cases....

I don't dispute (nor make any representation of knowing) whether you are a skilled investigator.  Under the best of circumstances I would even tend to agree with the above quoted material regarding examiners in general.  I don't make the assumption that polygraph examiners are individuals who can't make it as investigators nor that they are merely problems to be shelved with some support assignment.  Assuming you are that skilled investigator and that you are a polygraph examiner as well, probability would indicate that you are lacking in any real serious background in the physiology and psychology that are the bedrock foundation of any meaningful polygraph practice and that would be the basis for any interpretations you render.  In fact, I'm not aware of any polygraph school that even has any science prerequisites for admission (please educate me if you know of one).  My only advice to you is to return exclusively to that which you are qualified for and presumably skilled in...criminal investigation.  You and your guesswork (SR interpretations add little to the process you indicate that concerns you--the gentleman in question has already indicated he beat one of your own and considers such a feat to be no more difficult than baking a cake (I tend to agree with him).  And no, I have no disagreement with your position regarding lying and cheating...

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Canadian Crusader
Senior User

Reply #17 - Jul 19th, 2003 at 1:34am
I don't know why I did not see this sooner.  Thanks for the enlightenment Ray.

Most polygraphers that you know of, and I can assume to be representative of a great cross-section of polygrapers as a whole, are former investigators/cops.

They bring with them to the polygrapher job the mentatility that comes from dealing with the bottom of society (criminals) during their policing and investigating careers.  I am not laying blame here.  I can only guess that I too would subconsciously or perhaps consciously change my view of poeple and the world if I dealt with societies undesirables day in and day out.  I know a few cops (family and friends) that say it is almost inevitable that your attitude changes towards people when all you get to see is the worst.

The problem we have here as it realtes to pre-employment screening is when people like you get transferred to a position where you are asked to evaluate police candidates truthfulness in his/her application.

As an ex investigator you must have come across thousands of suspects and faces.  I foresee a big problem here with pre-employment screening in that the polygraphers might be transferring (either consciously or subconsciouly) old faces, emotions, cases, victims, crime details, etc onto the candidates they screen.  They subconsciously or consciously stereotype the candidate as bad or good (fail or pass) within the first couple of seconds of the polygraph examination.

To make this shorter...

A bad "vibe" (for potential reasons stated above) on behalf of the examiner, towards a candidate, might relate in a higher frequency of DI's and post test interrogations which, as I have witnessed on this site, seem to always deteriorate with an end diagnosis of "deceptive" from the polygrapher or a potential fabricated confession. 

Have to run but I am wondering if I am on to something here.  Maybe someone with a psycology or phyciatry background might be able to pick up where I left off.

That is just my thought or hypothesis that might make for a good Phd thesis?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ray
Senior User

Reply #18 - Jul 19th, 2003 at 1:36am
PK, 
You too made a decision to lie on your application forms.  I think that was an unethical thing to do.  There are no guarantees that because you began your career in such a fashion that you will act unethically on the job and I'm sure you've had a stellar career with many confessions and arrests.  However, I think that you also have established that you will do whatever it takes to make a situation come out in your favor.   

You said the drug policy was "ridiculously strict" in your area.  According to who?  You?  What other rules/policies at your department do you find ridiculously strict?  Regardless of how strict or ridiculous you think a policy may be, a person with integrity doesn't conceal their misdeeds on their application forms.  If you are not within the guidelines of an agency, find another one that accepts your past errors in judgement.  Your ability to justify your actions is what concerns me.   

Don't get me wrong PK, I'm not here to judge you as a person because I don't know you and I certainly don't claim to walk on water.  I don't doubt that you're a solid officer and a good guy. I'm only commenting on your decision to lie to obtain a position of such power and authority.

Out of curiosity, why are you so anti-polygraph?  You already have your job.  Did you have a bad experience or have you just seen too many suspects wrongly convicted?    

Although I don't believe it was George's intent to encourage lying on application forms, when reading this site one gets the impression that anything a person does to show up those evil polygraph examiners is acceptable.  People pat Wombat on the back for "beating the examiner" but forget that he is now one step closer to his badge and gun.  Mark one down for Antipolygraph.org!!!

Quick note on C/M's, in my experience many more good applicants disqualify themselves by attempting C/M's and getting caught than the those who actually "beat the examiner" with C/M's. Sorry George. 

IP Logged

Reply #19 - Jul 19th, 2003 at 1:55am
Ray,

You write:

Quote:
...Quick note on C/M's, in my experience many more good applicants disqualify themselves by attempting C/M's and getting caught than the those who actually "beat the examiner" with C/M's....

By convention, you have no idea how many examinees have beat you (or anyone else) with countermeasures, making the above quoted statement exceedingly absurd.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ray Latimer

Reply #20 - Jul 19th, 2003 at 2:56am
Poly-Killer

Hi!! It's me the real Ray Latimer, arrogance and all.  I have no idea why my name is being brought into this argument. I beleive that  I havn't posted to this site in the past two years.  when I do post I use my name and I do not hide behind a pseudonym and snipe.  What is your problem?  Do me a favor, find someone else to talk about, I am a super-sensitive guy and I cry easily.
Please do not respond to this post, it is not an invitation to engage in dialogue.  Stay warm and cuddly, I'm sure someone must love you despite your oh so macho pseudonym.

all the best,

Ray Latimer, (just think of the sun "ray" BRIGHT AND WARM and you will have me pegged)

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #21 - Jul 19th, 2003 at 3:50am
Candadian Crusader,
I believe the theory you're referring to is counter-transference.  This is where a person who experiences a traumatic event projects his feelings onto another individual.  Nice try but it's a reach.  Do I view the world differently now than before?  Yes.  But that doesn't mean I'm so jaded that I can't do my job professionally.  You watch too many movies.  We're not all living on the edge and out of touch with reality.  What do I see when an applicant enters the room?  I see myself.  I remember what it was like when I was trying to get this job.  I sat in that chair.  The polygraph is a tough experience.  To the examinee, an examiner may seem tough and mean (I thought mine was).  But this is not done because of a bias against an examinee.  It is done for the purposes of psyche set.  If an examinee feels a bias, it is often the result of control issues.  It always amuses me when an applicant posts on here that an examiner "immediately didn't like them."  Well, I guess most examiners are just jerks out to disqualify good applicants.  It's a conspiracy!  Gosh, George's examiner didn't like him despite his outstanding resume and the FBI's speedy process of his application.  Enough with the bias argument. 

Anonymous,
What makes you think I lack a sufficient background in psychology and physiology?  Because I'm a dumb cop?  I'm not a PhD but I feel confident in my educational background.  Also, most polygraph schools require an undergraduate degree.  I know my university requires a solid science background for graduation.  I think it's safe to assume most examiners have the necessary sciences prior to entering an accredited polygraph school.  The psych and phys relevant to polygraph is also covered in detail in the school.  No one has ever claimed an examiner needs a PhD to be proficient.  This whole education is a real sore subject with you antipoly folks.    

Quote:
By convention, you have no idea how many examinees have beat you (or anyone else) with
         countermeasures, making the above quoted statement exceedingly absurd.

You're assuming we have no way to detect C/M's.  Also, I did not claim it as a fact only a strong opinion.  Sorry it's not scientific.  I guess I must be wrong then....anyway, I feel strongly that through the use of varying techniques, practice and innovations, examiners have become much more proficient at seeing C/M's.  I believe this to be true due to an increase in verified C/M charts.  George doesn't have all of our secrets.  You just keep believing George when he tells you that examiners can't see C/M's.  You want us to prove it you. Why would we give you any help?  We have nothing to prove to you.  (Oh, and I know we're not perfect yet.  Just to head off any arguments there.)

As I asked PK, what's your beef with polygraph.  And don't tell me you're just a concerned citizen worried about polygraph fraud, waste and abuse.  That's catchy!  

By the way, thanks for your advice.  I considered it but, after getting another child molester off of the streets yesterday I think I'll keep at it!  Oh but don't worry guys, I wasn't too mean to him in the interrogation and I tried to keep my "lies" to a minimum.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Saidme
Especially Senior User

Reply #22 - Jul 19th, 2003 at 3:59am
Getem Ray! Wink

IP Logged

Senior User

"Knock, Knock!"

Reply #23 - Jul 19th, 2003 at 7:51am
Ray, you asked / stated...

"As I asked PK, what's your beef with polygraph.  And don't tell me you're just a concerned citizen worried about polygraph fraud, waste and abuse.  That's catchy!"

My "beef" with the poly isn't the same as some others on this site, mine is with the poly as a screening method. It's been proven time and time again that you DO get false positives, and bad apples DO still get in when the poly is relied on too heavily. I've seen guys that I am friends with and I have known virtually their whole lives be falsely accused. I just wish more departments placed a greater emphasis on the background investigation, i.e. employer/school references, personal references, financial matters, psyche testing, etc., you know...REAL police work. 

I think many PD's find it more "cost effective" to do superficial BI's coupled with a poly and maybe a psyche, then label candidates as recommended hires. If you look at the amount of man hours required to do a thorough BI, which is compounded by the fact that the detectives doing them are among the higher paid personnel in the dept, it's no wonder they try and cut costs. What happens then? Hello Mr. Polygraph.

For criminal investigations and specific issue, I do feel it can be a valuable tool when used the in that manner. Problem is, you can't be forced to take a poly...and the results are usually not admissable...I wonder why.  Roll Eyes

I don't necessarily fall into the "waste and abuse" crowd, although I agree that it used in a wasteful and abusive manner far too often.

I hope that answers your question.

Saidme,

"Getem Ray"

Perhaps we should get you fitted for a skirt and some pom-poms.   

Better break out the "NAIR", saidme! 

Sorry...coudn't help myself   

Best,
PK

IP Logged

Senior User

"Knock, Knock!"

Reply #24 - Jul 19th, 2003 at 8:02am
Quote:
Poly-Killer

Hi!! It's me the real Ray Latimer, arrogance and all.  I have no idea why my name is being brought into this argument. I beleive that  I havn't posted to this site in the past two years.  when I do post I use my name and I do not hide behind a pseudonym and snipe.  What is your problem?  Do me a favor, find someone else to talk about, I am a super-sensitive guy and I cry easily.
Please do not respond to this post, it is not an invitation to engage in dialogue.  Stay warm and cuddly, I'm sure someone must love you despite your oh so macho pseudonym.

all the best,

Ray Latimer, (just think of the sun "ray" BRIGHT AND WARM and you will have me pegged)

OK...I never doubted that the other "Ray" told me the truth when he said it wasn't you. And my wife happens to LOOOVE my rough macho pseudonym ridden exterior. I am quite warm and cuddly on the inside though.  Smiley

Stay "bright and warm", k, Rayburt?

PK

IP Logged

Senior User

"Knock, Knock!"

Reply #25 - Jul 19th, 2003 at 9:02am
Ray wrote on Jul 19th, 2003 at 1:36am:
PK, 
You too made a decision to lie on your application forms.  I think that was an unethical thing to do.  There are no guarantees that because you began your career in such a fashion that you will act unethically on the job and I'm sure you've had a stellar career with many confessions and arrests.  However, I think that you also have established that you will do whatever it takes to make a situation come out in your favor.   

You said the drug policy was "ridiculously strict" in your area.  According to who?  You?  What other rules/policies at your department do you find ridiculously strict?  Regardless of how strict or ridiculous you think a policy may be, a person with integrity doesn't conceal their misdeeds on their application forms.  If you are not within the guidelines of an agency, find another one that accepts your past errors in judgement.  Your ability to justify your actions is what concerns me.  

Don't get me wrong PK, I'm not here to judge you as a person because I don't know you and I certainly don't claim to walk on water.  I don't doubt that you're a solid officer and a good guy. I'm only commenting on your decision to lie to obtain a position of such power and authority.

Out of curiosity, why are you so anti-polygraph?  You already have your job.  Did you have a bad experience or have you just seen too many suspects wrongly convicted?   

Ray,

Sorry about the late reply...I just went back and read this post.

In retrospect, I wish I wouldn't have had to lie. I will not try and "justify" it, except to say that it has been, by far, for the greater good. The only way to have gone to another dept would have been to move out of state, which wasn't exactly feasible at the time.  When I said "ridiculously strict", I mean when those so-called  "standards" are compared to other agencies across the nation. 

I've done some research and most agencies are only concerned that you were never a serious "pot-head" (pertaining to MJ use). While a scant few others want to say things like "20 times and you're ok, 21 times, now you can't ever be a Police Officer in this state." That, to me, is ridiculous. I and many others believe that there are times when circumstances should be considered on a case by case basis. That probably won't happen because of the liability factor, you'd always have someone who didn't get picked screaming "why'd you pick him and not me?"

As far as "doing whatever it takes..." you're wrong. I've had chances to guarantee air tight cases by doing unethical things that would have been VERY easy for me to do and I NEVER have. Never have I falsified 1 word on any report, lied on the witness stand or anything else that would have brought dishonor to the profession. I understand why you would make the assertion, but like I said, you're wrong. I can't readily come up with a scenario where I would lower myself to do such a thing either. I take pride in my position and I realize it is one of immense responsibility...and I don't take that responsibility lightly.

Take care,
PK

IP Logged

Senior User

Reply #26 - Jul 20th, 2003 at 3:07am
Quote:
It's been proven time and time again that you DO get false positives...I've seen guys that I am friends with and I have known virtually their whole lives be falsely accused.

You can't make that claim.  How did you verify these false positives on an applicant screening test?  How did you establish ground truth prior to your claim?  Unless you are with your friends every waking moment of their life, you just can't claim to know. 

Quote:
I just wish more departments placed a greater emphasis on the background investigation, i.e. employer/school references, personal references, financial matters, psyche testing, etc., you know...REAL police work.

Would an intensive background investigation like you suggest have caught your lie?  I doubt it.  I'll bet you didn't have to take a poly for your job...if you did I doubt you be in LE today.  Polygraphs resolve issues a background investigation can not.   

Quote:
While a scant few others want to say things like "20 times and you're ok, 21 times, now you can't ever be a Police Officer in this state." That, to me, is ridiculous.

Just because you think a rule or standard is ridiculous does not justify your effort to circumvent it.  If you eventually find a rule or law ridiculous what are you going to do?  I think I know the answer to that question.  You see why I have concern.  You say you've done nothing dishonorable on the job....yet.    

Quote:
I take pride in my position and I realize it is one of immense responsibility...and I don't take that responsibility lightly.

But you took the application process lightly when you decided to lie and cheat.  That shows a lot of "pride in your position".  Just remember this, you obtained your position under false pretences.  If you have a conscious, that will always hang over your head.  It's kind of like falsifying a resume...and what happens when you get caught doing that?  If I were you I'd be fighting like hell to abolish the polygraph. 

Stay safe.

IP Logged

Senior User

"Knock, Knock!"

Reply #27 - Jul 20th, 2003 at 12:42pm
Ray,

I hope your polygraph skills are better than the judgment you've shown here...you're incorrect about a number of things.

First, I can  make claims about false positives without spending every waking moment with these guys...2 of them requested 2nd polys by independent 3rd party examiners and were cleared. Not to mention that you don't have to spend every waking moment with an individual to know the kind of person they are. I know there are exceptions, but generally when you're close friends with someone since grade school...ya kinda know what they're about.

Second, the types of BI that I am speaking about wouldn't need to discover very minor issues, as they are almost always no indication of the true character of a person anyway. Example: 31 yr old male that drove drunk 2 or 3 times when he was 19 yrs old in college. Is it relevant whether a BI uncovers that? On the other hand, if that same person drives intoxicated on a regular basis...now we have a problem. 

Third, you're right about me not taking A poly, I've taken and "PASSED" 3 POLYGRAPHS!. 3 different examiners and 3 different agencies and offered a position with EACH agency (1 of which being the Highway Patrol).  8)

Fourth, "Lie and cheat"?...That's stretching it a bit...I did lie about the NUMBER of times I smoked MJ, and I'm not sure to what extent. All I know is that I was WELL outside the timeframe for use (I think the policy is 5 years), but I believe I exceeded the number of uses permitted (20 or less). Did I keep a log? NO. But it was very infrequent use and I never purchased it. For that matter, I can't say, with 100% certainty that it WAS more than 20, I just think it PROBABLY was. Either way, I had NO problem with "cheating" on that question...it's stupid. Like I said, I feel it's ridiculous to say "20 times, you're good to go...21 times, go home, you can't be a cop." It's irrelevant to me that any of this "concerns" you. Tongue 

As far as abolishing the poly, I'm where I want to be so it wouldn't effect me directly. I would like to see the poly go bye-bye, not for myself though, but because I'm tired of potentially good officers get ousted from candidacy because of it. I guess maybe it DOES effect me, doesn't it? More good officers = more seniority and less work.  Cheesy

You know, Ray, you have certainly taken a high moral stance for someone who LIES FOR A LIVING, don't ya think? It's kinda like a car thief condemning someone for stealing a candy bar as a child.  ???

Fact is, Ray (and other poly-screeners out there), when I retire (or die trying) I'll go KNOWING I served my profession, my community and those close to me with integrity, respect and dedication. What will you have? IF you have any shred of conscience left, I suspect you'll have a head full of bad memories...memories filled with lies, trickery, deceit and mind games. I've chosen a career in which I try to help people and make the community safer because that's what I enjoy. I'm out on the street, doing what poly examiners won't (or can't) do. Why do poly examiners become poly examiners anyway? Are they cops that can't handle the street? Too old for SWAT or SRT, too scared for vice or narc work? Don't like not having total control and being able to intimidate others? I just don't recall ever hearing one single person in either of my academy classes say "I can't wait to be a polygraph examiner!" Some say swat, some UC work, some K9, some want brass...none say poly examiner...I wonder why. Im curious, do you tell others what you do? If so, is it with pride? Probably not, huh? Not unless you're trying to score with the local badge bunnies.  Grin

Best,
PK

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Public Servant
Very Senior User

Reply #28 - Jul 20th, 2003 at 1:36pm
PK,

You obviously just finished the academy.  Quite full of yourself.   

Law Enforcement examiners are seasoned investigators.  Ever conducted an investigation? 
Usually to get into the polygraph field, one has to have good communication and people skills.  They make people want to be honest with them if you know what I mean -- Felons confess to them (just in case you didn't know what I meant).

The job of a LE examiner is to resolve the cases the detective / investigator could not.  This includes obtaining admissions from the culprit,  eliminating other suspects, or corroborating the word of the falsely accused.  This is not employment to be proud of?!   

I know you specified screeners but I'll bet any sworn officers where you work who are examiners, run both screening exams and criminal specific exams.  And unless the agency hires more people than it investigates crime, they do more criminal examinations.  So basically you're publicly insulting some of the most seasoned investigators in your agency.  You're off to a great start kid!

Quote:
Im curious, do you tell others what you do? If so, is it with pride? Probably not, huh? Not unless you're trying to score with the local badge bunnies.

So you're saying while an examiner should be shameful of his profession in the presence of you and your young buck tough guy academy buddies, chicks tend to dig us.
Well, chicks do dig me.  But it's my stunning good looks and charm they love!  I don't know if they go for examiners in general, or cops in general, for that matter.

As for all those other tough guy jobs you mentioned; been there, done that.  Spend hours, unarmed, with suspected felons in a 10' x 10' room everyday, and resolve some serious criminal investigations.  Then you'll impress me.

I'd agree with you that the number of times you burned a joint doesn't necessarily predict your performance as a cop.  But what other method of weeding out those who were dealers, habitual users, violent offenders (and have never been caught and whose friends might not reveal their habits to a background investigator).  You need exams to catch those who have not been caught before and thus might slip through a background investigation.  Some people would love to become a cop for power, violent behavior (you get a gun!), to further their criminal pursuits, etc.  There would be no other method of preventing such types from working beside you or deterring them from applying in the first place.

Anyway, good luck to you in your career.  May you never lose sight of the real reason you were given a badge (hopefully you had the same motivation in receiving it).

IP Logged

Reply #29 - Jul 20th, 2003 at 3:22pm
Public Servant,

You write in part:

Quote:
...I know you specified screeners but I'll bet any sworn officers where you work who are examiners, run both screening exams and criminal specific exams....

For the sake of conversation, lets assume that some good comes from the specific-issue exams conducted by your above suggested multi-application examiner. He should know as you should know that polygraph screening is nothing but fraud and is likely to harm many innocent individuals.  This sort of individual has seriously tainted and is continually undermining any positive contribution he might otherwise be making.  In fact, I would suggest that individual is causing considerably more harm in his/her professional career than the officer who had previously (prior to becoming an officer)  engaged in some limited personal useage drug experimentation never to use illicit or unprescribed drugs again during his subsequent career.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
I had my poly!

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X