Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) CVSA FEARS (Read 27410 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box girlysheriff
New User

CVSA FEARS
Jun 17th, 2003 at 5:34am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I am scheduled to take A CVSA test for my local town sheriff dept in about three weeks. Now here's where the crap hits the fan: I have engaged in some "tokin" recently but am clean now. What do i have to do in order to pass that test. Any hints?  Undecided

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box orolan
Especially Senior User

Re: CVSA FEARS
Reply #1 - Jun 17th, 2003 at 6:01pm
girlysheriff,
Download and read TLBTLD. I believe there is a section in it regarding CVSA examinations.
It is amazing that they even use these things. Even the American Polygraph Association, purveyors of voodoo science that they are, think the CVSA is junk.

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." &&U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Saidme
Especially Senior User

Reply #2 - Jun 18th, 2003 at 1:17am
girlysheriff

If you've engaged in some "tokin" recently, why on earth would you want to join law enforcement?  Why don'tyou just keep on tokin?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box beech trees
God Member

Reply #3 - Jun 18th, 2003 at 3:36pm
Saidme wrote on Jun 18th, 2003 at 1:17am:
girlysheriff

If you've engaged in some "tokin" recently, why on earth would you want to join law enforcement?  Why don'tyou just keep on tokin?

Are you actually asserting that police officers don't regularly abuse illegal drugs, saidme?

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government." ~ Thomas Paine

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box orolan
Especially Senior User

Reply #4 - Jun 18th, 2003 at 6:43pm
Oh no Shocked You went and did it now beech. You know that saidme places LEO's right up at the top with Jesus Christ. They never would do illegal drugs. How can you think such a thing? Well, you have shown your true colors, you pot smokin' fiend Wink

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." &&U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box suethem
Very Senior User

Reply #5 - Jun 19th, 2003 at 3:36am
Saidme,

I thought you were not interested in pre- employment polys?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Saidme
Especially Senior User

Reply #6 - Jun 19th, 2003 at 3:40am
One at a time boys (and/or girls)

Beech

How did you infer that from my statement?  I'm just curious why a drug user would want to get into law enforcement.  Seems like a major conflict to me.

Dip*&^% (I mean Orolan)

Where do you see anything about pre-employment polygraph?

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #7 - Jun 19th, 2003 at 3:50am
saidme,

you wrote,"... join law enforcement..."

If she is taking a CVSA test to join a LE agency, then she is taking a pre-emplyment polygraph (CVSA is a type of polygraph).

Since you have said that you are only concerned with criminal investigation type polys, I wondered why you commented.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box girly

sheriffRe: CVSA FEARS
Reply #8 - Jun 20th, 2003 at 8:04am
Roll EyesTHANKS FOR SOME OF THE ADVICE TO ALL WHO REPLIED. SO I FIGURED, WHY THE HELL  SHOULD I SIT HERE AND STRESS, THE "POT" AND I WILL ALWAYS REMAIN FRIENDS AND THE POLYGRAPH TEST IS A LOAD OF CHEEZE WHIZ A.K.A. CRAP IN A CAN! I DOWNLOADED THE COPY, READ IT, AND AM READY TO SAY  " YOU WANT THE TRUTH?, YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!"

THANX GUYS! Grin

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box GIRLYPIG

Re: sheriffRe: CVSA FEARS
Reply #9 - Jun 20th, 2003 at 8:07am
Quote:
Roll EyesTHANKS FOR SOME OF THE ADVICE TO ALL WHO REPLIED. SO I FIGURED, WHY THE HELL  SHOULD I SIT HERE AND STRESS, THE "POT" AND I WILL ALWAYS REMAIN FRIENDS AND THE POLYGRAPH TEST IS A LOAD OF CHEEZE WHIZ A.K.A. CRAP IN A CAN! I DOWNLOADED THE COPY, READ IT, AND AM READY TO SAY  " YOU WANT THE TRUTH?, YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!"

THANX GUYS! Grin

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Poly-Killer
Senior User

"Knock, Knock!"

Reply #10 - Jun 20th, 2003 at 11:37am
Girly,

If you plan on continuing to smoke MJ, I suggest you steer clear of LE work. You will only end up in trouble and giving LE another black eye that it certainly doesn't need. I'm no angel, but I have NEVER reverted back to my old ways. It had been a while (about 7 years) between my last use and the time I applied with the 1st agency I worked for and I knew I was done with it...for good. If you truly want to be in LE, you need to have a clear head, it's a tough job and being high ain't gonna cut it.

Please, take these things into consideration before you join. Either give the stuff up forever, or do something else. You'll only end up disgracing yourself, your family and your fellow officers. 

Beech,

I would say that the vast majority of officers I know don't fool around with any of that stuff. Do I follow them home and watch them? Of course not (That's for I.A.), but I work with them daily and any "true" officer won't go down that road. Are there some that do? Yes, but I suspect very few. Given the way LEO's "live in a fishbowl" for all to see, it would be foolish to mess with drugs at all. Not to mention that if an officer is involved in a shooting, a motor vehicle accident or any other event the dept deems appropriate, the officer is subject to testing.

Best,
PK
« Last Edit: Jun 20th, 2003 at 11:55am by Poly-Killer »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nyccop
New User

Reply #11 - Sep 28th, 2003 at 9:20am
i am a cop in NYC (where no agency that i know of uses polys or VSA's) and i am looking to get out of this city. seems like every LE agency outside of the NY/NJ area uses these techniques. in the past i have limited the positions i have applied for simply based on whether or not they have a poly in their selection process. recently i have decided to just go for it... what's the worst that can happen? no, really... what's the worst that can happen? when i was in college and for a year or so after i was as any other college kid... looking back i can call them mistakes, but i am a good guy and a good cop. it seems that they care more about me smoking a little bit in college more than they care about my ability to do the job well. any input? would like to hear about any experiences. 
have a safe tour!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Ruthless_freak

Reply #12 - Feb 9th, 2004 at 4:27am
NYCCOP,

As a detective and CVSA examiner, I can tell you that it is preached that a truth verification tool is used to screen someone into a job, not out of the job.  Officers are hired from the human race, so be honest, unless you have commited some sort of felony, or done something crazy recently, don't worry about your college days.  We have all been there...  Police departments are looking for honest people, so I tell you, if you did something, let them know up front at the pretest-interview... You'd be surprised where honesty gets you in this world.  Just FYI

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #13 - Feb 9th, 2004 at 5:59am
NYCOP,

CVSA is just like the polygraph- a hoax! Its a investigational tool designed to elicit confessions.

CVSA cannot determine whether you are telling the truth or not.  People who lie pass CVSA exams- and people who tell the truth fail CVSA exams.

Somewhere here on this site I read about an independent study, funded by the justice department, that concludes that CVSA is an invalid form of lie detection (of course the government said that those conclusions were not the official justice department position on the matter- go figure if they decide to replace the polygraph with another scam).

I bet your Police union in NYC has stopped your department from using CVSA.  Its too bad other police unions have not confronted this issue.

CVSA is just another scam- like spray on hair or thingy enlargement pumps (both sold at CVSA conventions)!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box tycop

Reply #14 - Aug 28th, 2008 at 12:09pm
NYCCOP!!!

As a CVSA examiner and a 7 year NARC I have used the CVSA alot... I am in charge of hiring for my department and here is my input:

First of all:  Every Dept. is different in exactly what they are looking for... but the number one thing they are looking for is honesty... trust me we have all f***ed up in the past... as long as you are willing to be honest about what you have done (if not a felony or recently) and you are honest about it... some bad things in the past show that you are human and that you have experienced a few things in life. 

I would rather hire an officer who had some life experience with some pot or some underaged drinking or what not... than a cop who has never done anything wrong and doesn't know what it feels like to make a mistake.   

Good luck and be confidant and HONEST!  That is all they want... trust me they are all human too and have all done some bad things in the past... Some may even say good criminal - good cop!

IP Logged

CVSA FEARS

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X