Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Question for George (Read 20337 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box PeterFonda
User

Question for George
Jun 11th, 2003 at 7:32pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Mr. Maschke,

I have a question for you..If the polygraph were only used as a confession tool for criminals, and only confessions were considered as to quilt or innocence,
would you still be opposed to the polygraph?

Thanks for your time..

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Question for George
Reply #1 - Jun 11th, 2003 at 7:42pm
No, provided that polygraph interrogations were audio or videorecorded as a protection against abuse.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box irn434
New User

Reply #2 - Sep 6th, 2003 at 12:46am
Dear George

Im trying to find someone who can help me.  My boyfriend is on probation.  He has been told that funding for the pollygraph has been approved through gov. Davis. How can we find out if the pollygraph funding is approved again.In California.
   We are scared to death that his probation will be violated if he keeps seeing me, for his probation officer says do not date a woman with children, I have 2 preeteen boys, my boyfriend is a convicted sex affender but know children were involved, in his conviction. He pleaded quilty because he did'nt know our laws and was set up, in the workplace by another employee that wanted his job. and he thought he would have to go to jail if he did'nt plee bargain.  So he has probation instead.  His probation officer says he will violate his probation on anything he can think of to stop him from dating me. 
We love each other and continue to date what can we do to protect my boyfriend from a cruel and vindictive probation officer  please can you help? PLEASE RESPOND A.S.A.P.  Thelma

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Sep 6th, 2003 at 1:21am
Thelma,

I am not aware of the funding of post-conviction polygraph examinations in California of which you speak, nor do I know what its consequences might be for post-conviction polygraph programs in the state.

If your boyfriend believes he has been subjected to cruel and vindictive behavior from a probation officer, then I think it would be best that he consult a lawyer regarding his legal options. Martindale's on-line Lawyer Locator service might be helpful in finding a lawyer in your area with relevant expertise.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box orolan
Especially Senior User

Reply #4 - Sep 6th, 2003 at 5:51am
Thelma,
Like George, I have no idea if funding has been restored for SO polygraphs. My gut feeling would be no.
Regardless of the PO's like or dislike of your boyfriend, the probation conditions prohibit him from dating you. That condition will remain even if he were to get a new PO.
His best bet is to seek the courts approval of the relationship. Take George's advice and find a lawyer, then get him to file a petition in the original sentencing court.

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." &&U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis
IP Logged

New User

Reply #5 - Sep 7th, 2003 at 12:02am
  Dear Orolan
there is no condition in his probation, that says he cannot date me. It only says Adult suppervision at all times around children.
  His probation officer says i do not count as Adult suppervision, because their my children, and he is dating me. He is calling me a bad mother, he is so full of it, i would protect my kids with my life.
   I know this man, and what he was convicted of,if he were a sex offender against children, i would have nothing to do with him.  But the woman involved was 40yrs. at the time, the only difference is that she is mentally dissabled.  She came on to him. and he fondled her.  He is very sorry, for what he did.  And he freely admits his guilt.
   But everybody does something stupid in their lifetime they are sorry for, and deserve to be given a chance.  We love each other, and will get through this somehow He has learned from his mistakes, and is a god fearing man, he has never broken a law other than this one, and it will follow him for the rest of his life.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #6 - Sep 7th, 2003 at 1:29am
oh and by the way i keep hearing the term CM's what does that mean?   thanks

IP Logged

New User

Reply #7 - Sep 7th, 2003 at 1:43am
If my boyfriend is'nt nervous about dating me against the advice of his PO.  If he remains calm, if they ask him are you still dating that woman?  Do you think he has a good chance of passing the pollygraph.
He has'nt broken any laws. So he is ok on that point.  But if they ask him that ? Do you think they might try and bluff him into thinking that he failed that question when he accually passed.  We hav'nt seen each other in a week now,  so he wont be lying.  We are not planning on dating again until after his pollygrph, but we want to be prepared for any contingency.  We just keep wondering if they might try to bluff him into saying we are still seeing each other.  Please answer  Thankyou  Thelma

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mr. Truth
Very Senior User

Reply #8 - Sep 8th, 2003 at 12:46am
Dear Thelma,

Let me be the first, if no one else has done it, to welcome you to world of probation. It is like a town with no pity, life's tough in the big city, etc. Your boyfriend has earned his way into the major league with respect to probation. If you want to be a season ticket holder, you need to learn the rules of the game.

First of all, aside from already violating a term of probation (contact with someone who is responsible for minors=you), your relationship already being known to the probation officer means this: if your boyfriend is caught, he will be sanctioned. That's s-a-n-c-t-i-o-n-e-d with a captial F.

This isn't a polygraph matter. This rule is entirely separate from polygraph testing. Being caught in this situation will almost surely mean you and your boyfriend will pay dearly to earn the privilege of him having authorized contact with you. That's pay as in terms of time, money, and consequences.

Secondly, more than likely your boyfriend's treatment agency has a couples group (where you both attend) and upon completing it (8 weeks or so), you will become, or become eligible anyway, an authorized supervisor or chaperone for your boyfriend. You really should look into attending that and having the relationship "approved" and on solid footing (it also is a pretty good marriage counseling type of class). 

The consequences also extend to you: you may never be allowed to be a "containment team" member because of your complicity (seeing him despite knowing he is not allowed to have that kind of contact with you).

Personally, I was able to date whomever whenever. Those were easy rules to follow, and the privilege included spending the night with minors present. This is not a case where it is easier to beg for forgiveness after the fact instead of asking for permission in the first place. Really.

Abiding by these rules helps in the long run. Does it suck at times? You don't want to hear me bitch about that, but the short answer is yes.  It may not feel like it, but there is light at the end of the tunnel, and no, it is not another train.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box OkieBoy
User

Reply #9 - Sep 8th, 2003 at 10:41pm
Just be glad you don't live in Washington D.C.
Sex-Offenders there, who are in treatment programs, must bring the person they are considering dating into the program to sign a waiver and have a sit-down conference with the therapist before they can date them.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #10 - Sep 8th, 2003 at 11:18pm
That's becoming fairly common everywhere, I believe. It used to be you had to disclose ahead of time, tell the therapist, and things were hunky-dorey. Now, it's let's have a come-to-Jesus meeting with all involved. 

For sure, it is getting harder and harder day by day. People in Thelma's situation add to the complexity because everyone has to go through hoops now because of others' past transgressions. One more person "breaking" the rules means life gets harder for those that follow.  Used to be you could drink on special occasions, like your wedding. But noooooo, someone had to go get plastered and get a DUI, so now there are NO exceptions to that anymore, absolutely no drinking whatsoever, at least in my state.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #11 - Sep 9th, 2003 at 12:14am
You guys should see the sex offender probation conditions for Wisconsin. All 50 of them. 
The PO must approve any romantic encounter or relationship PRIOR to its occurrence.
The offender can't have a pet without permission, not even a goldfish.
Or buy, sell, rent, borrow or lend an automobile without the PO's permission.
Can't buy or sell a home without permission. Can't rent out a home they own unless the PO interviews and approves the prospective tenants.
Can't go shopping at the mall without permission.
Can't borrow or lend money to or from ANYBODY without permission.
And the list goes on and on.

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." &&U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis
IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #12 - Sep 9th, 2003 at 1:53am
That is just mind-boggling. I'd rather take the blue pill and make the world go away.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Neo
New User

Reply #13 - Sep 10th, 2003 at 4:37pm
Quote:
That is just mind-boggling. I'd rather take the blue pill and make the world go away.

That is exactly why there are sooo many restrictions and conditions.  The pervasive attitude here complaining about the limited personal choices for sex -offenders is what is mind-boggling.  It is the victims and/or potential victims these rules protect.

Quote:
But everybody does something stupid in their lifetime they are sorry for, and deserve to be given a chance. 

Maybe irn434, but wouldn't you agree the victimization of children or the mentally disabled requires that chance be given with stipulations to ensure the victimizer does not re-offend?

Neo

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #14 - Sep 10th, 2003 at 5:12pm
Neo,
Quote:
It is the victims and/or potential victims these rules protect.

Please explain how a probationer needing to seek his/her PO's permission to purchase a fish is protecting anybody.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Question for George

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X