Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Audio/Video Taping of Polygraph Examinations (Read 68272 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Brian

Re: Audio/Video Taping of Polygraph Examinations
Reply #30 - May 21st, 2003 at 8:15am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Getting back to taping the poly:

My poly was taped, but I assume the gov.  isn't just going to turn over my video/audio tape on which the polygrapher explicitly states that I passed the test.  The tape would only prove that I had in fact passed the poly, however, having quota's for underrepresented people is more important than fairness.  Taping poly's (or allowing tapes to be released) would only show the true absurdity of the "lie detector."

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box The_Breeze
Very Senior User

Reply #31 - May 21st, 2003 at 5:45pm
Polygraph Malcontents and others

Interesting back and forth about taping/not taping.  Our agency always tapes as a matter of practice, but I can understand how an agency might find that cumbersome. Many things are not recorded in an applicant process (and that is why most of you are here after all) like the physical tests where folks are routinely dismissed for a lack of flexibility or a few seconds over on the run.  Those of you that have failed, and are lashing out via your polygraph experience, just what do you expect an agency to do? keep a video data bank of thousands of prospective applicants to look for the slightest impropriety?  Put your hatred of the polygraph aside for a moment and put yourself in an agency (any agency) recruiter mode.  You have hundreds of applicants a testing cycle that your administration has asked you to narrow down.  The recommendation here is to provide a video, charts and who knows what else to every applicant of the polygraph experience.  Would you do this as an administrator?  You folks sense a cover up, I say its a practical matter.  We dont send the psych tests out for review, or what questions were missed on the written, or a recording of the oral board to see if you were subject to bias / subjective scoring.  I guess any applicant, police or corporate, has to have a certain measure of trust.

Im always amused when the subject of hypocrisy comes up.  The thinking here is that the term does not fit, because we are concerned with polygraph only. Interesting.  I believe that is what the word means in this context.  Pretending to be excessively outraged about the polygraph, knowing full well that many qualified applicants are lost through a variety of other preventable causes defines the word.  When this is pointed out (and I have many times) the idea is dismissed as "off topic".
The fact that many who post here are hypocritical is undeniable in my view.
Based on my experiences, I also have to say that some of the stories presented here lack complete detail, which is expected from those that fail and do not accept an agencies judgement that they are indeed lacking.  I will tell you this, if an agency really wants you-you will be hired.  I wish I had a dollar for every applicant that swore his application was complete, failed the polygraph, and then made specific admissions in the failed area.
Capt. Jones has not only failed his FBI polygraph, but one for a reserve position.  That which repeats itself is not due to chance.  Think about it.

Im seeing alot of posters lately make comments about "dusting" polygraphers or in one hero's example using sophisticated multi level countermeasures.  If you are taking multiple polygraphs you have probably not been hired.  Perhaps you would be more specific as to the agency and the polygrapher?  As no crime is committed in clenching your buttcheeks during a pseudo-scientific ritual, what would you fear from disclosure? simply post the results, or get your charts and show those as well.  In other words stop the idle boasting, and prove how easy this countermeasure business really is. You are not working for the agency anyway, and have nothing to lose. 
Awhile back George, I asked if you wanted to do this on an organized basis and post the results.  You have ignored that request in favor of unscientific, unprovable personal accounts riddled with factual omissions and exaggeration.

And as I looked around the site briefly George I noted that you are not censoring some of the same language that you felt necessary to censor in one of my last posts where BT showed his entire ass.  Is this intentional, or are you engaging in selective censorship on this "free" site?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Reply #32 - May 21st, 2003 at 6:41pm
As always , The Breeze brings some interesting discussion points to the conversation. Some that I agree with, some that I do not.

On "Good Morning America" TV Show today, they transmitted from the FBI Training Ground in 
Virginia.  During the show, an FBI official stated that they had over 80,000 applicants for 500 final positions this year.  Certainly the fear of polygraph false positives is not stopping the application process.   

The Breeze has offered that the FBI is using the polygraph procedure inappropriately to thin the applicant pool.  After working for the government for many years and going through the applicant process in the FBI (including three polygraphs), I tend to lean in his direction on this point.  Like it or not, it can allow the agencies to sway the applicant pool according to priorities only known to the hiring agency.  Right or wrong this is the perogative of the hiring agency.

I only disagree with the fact that a permanent black mark would be placed on a person's security background strictly based on polygraph alone. This has and still is happening at the FBI during this process.

I know that videotaping every polygraph session is logistically difficult but the absolute right to take away someone's integrity through polygraph usage must have some kind of check and balance.  Most appeals occur well withing one year of the actual test.  With digitalized recording on DVDs, the actual expense and storage of such exams is feasible.

The actual amount of FBI applicant hires polygraphed is probably 1500 for 500 hired.  For an organization as large and sophisticated as the FBI, recording such exams should not be such a big deal.

My application process is complete but I can not publicly detail my experience.  I did appeal and get a third polygraph in which I passed.  I was also asked if I wanted to proceed with the application process.

I know that government makes mistakes everyday.  In my case, the FBI saw this mistake and corrected it to the best of their ability withing the confines of their guidelines.   I am more impressed with an agency's ability to correct mistakes than I am about the mistakes themselves.  I do not wish to drag the agency through the mud: I would like to see it improve its public image by recording applicant polygraphs since their outcomes have such major impact on an accused person's integrity.  If polygraphs cannot or willnot be eliminated, this is surely a reasonable first step to improvement.

It does not change the feelings I have about the inappropriate use of polygraph pre-screening, especially without videotape or digital recording.  I still believe that recording these exams would vindicate ethical exam givers and takers.  It certainly would increase the perception that the agencies involved were trying to protect applicant rights as well as national security concerns. 

Regards

« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2003 at 5:47am by Fair Chance »  

IP Logged

Reply #33 - May 21st, 2003 at 6:43pm
Breeze,

First of all, if an agency is going to pretend they use guidlines regarding polygraphs according to the APA then why would they choose to disregard this measure?

Secondly, I assume you never applied for a fed agent position.  Failing a written exam will not dq your employment, you will be given second, and third chances.   

Addressing your example of applicants be rejected by the running a slow time in a physical exam.  Running a measured distance is a objective measure of one's ability.  A polygraph is far from objective, and no where near scientific.
" Pretending to be excessively outraged about the polygraph, knowing full well that many qualified applicants are lost through a variety of other preventable causes defines the word."
That is so insane, I'm sorry people on this board don't equate getting dq's cause your 6'0" 310 lbs and run the mile in 12 minutes, as opposed to be some attempt to measure truth which is as accurate as flippping a coin. 

So before you cast everyone on here as hipocrits, try to understand the absurdity of using a polygraph as the sole criteria for employment.  Someone also needs to explain to me how something that claims to be 98% accurate can be re-administered to someone if the "results" show someone is lying.  Shouldn't the agency trust the reuslts enough not to allow another polygraph.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box orolan
Especially Senior User

Reply #34 - May 21st, 2003 at 8:32pm
Batman, Breeze, et al,
As Dr. Richardson stated in his initial post starting this thread "There is no legitimate technological or administrative reason for not routinely audio/videotaping examinations to protect examinee, examiner, and agencies alike." There has been great discussion on this topic, but I believe the statement still stands. Breeze, the polygraph in and of itself is a cumbersome process. I don't see where having the polygrapher reach over and switch on a tape recorder adds to their duties that much. Note that this is a discussion about audio/video taping, meaning audio or video or both. As for giving these tapes and the charts to every applicant, that isn't what was originally asked. Rules already require that the charts be kept for a period of time. The APA says 1 year minimum. The problem is, they are not made available to the applicant should they desire to have them reviewed outside the agency that administered the exam. And while I'm on the subject, Batman and Drew, I have heard from an APA member regarding the requirements of 3.9.8. It was not Dr. Dutton, but this individual is an officer of the APA. He pointed out that 3.9.8 applies specifically to evidentiary examinations, and does not apply to pre-employment screening or other types of examinations. So I am willing to concede the point. Batman, you win this round.
The subject of hypocrisy was raised by Batman due to the fact that we here on the board were not doing anything about medical malpractice and the like. It had nothing to do with other reasons for why applicants were turned down. By the way Breeze, what are these other "preventable causes" for applicant rejection that you would like for us to champion?

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." &&U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Batman
Very Senior User

Reply #35 - May 21st, 2003 at 9:00pm
Orolan,

Thanks, that makes the score Batman- 1 (maybe two because I think someone else conceded a point to me awhile back, but I'm not sure); Everyone Else- 110.

I may be losing but I keep on coming back, is that good for a point?

Hey Anonymous: 

Wake up Dude...I repeat, regarding Batman's dark side; the character for Batman was originated by Bob Kane based on a few different inspirations, Leonardo da Vinci's man with wings was the inspiration for the cape and a man being able to fly, Douglas Fairbanks, Sr was the inspiration for Bruce Wayne, but most importantly the old 1935 movie, 'The Bat Wispers' was the inspiration for the overall character.  The movie is about a criminal who led a dark, shadowy life, thus the dark side of Batman!   

I know, for I am......   

Batman (and I have one hell of a dark side) 

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #36 - May 21st, 2003 at 9:14pm
Batman,
When I'm wrong I say so. And you're probably entitled to plenty of points just because of longevity.

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." &&U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anonymous

Reply #37 - May 21st, 2003 at 9:29pm
Batman,

There is a considerable difference between the types of thoughts and behaviors that might be loosely grouped together under the heading of "a dark side" and the routine vulgarity you display.  Please share with me anything that Douglas Fairbanks, Sr. did or said on screen that approaches your latest vulgarity addressed to me.  No dude, you are not a depressive genius personality, just a vulgar twit....

And with regard to your listing of agencies on another thread, an impressive listing of bureaucrats perhaps...care to list a dozen of so individuals from any or all those agencies with the academic credentials in the fields of psychophysiology, statistics, etc that were represented on the NAS Panel?  I don't think it was by accident that this independent group of stellar scientists was selected for the relevant study and report and not some ad hoc group of bureaucrats from the agencies you so dutifully listed for us.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box The_Breeze
Very Senior User

Reply #38 - May 21st, 2003 at 11:22pm
Brian
Its clear we are thinking in different ways.  Let me be more precise.
When I brought up the subject of running or other such tests, I was referring to the idea that such tests could be video taped to preclude abuse, not as a direct comparision to polygraph.
You see, if you piss off the person timing the run for whatever reason, perhaps he might add a few seconds if your close, or downgrade an interview score without cause.  I thought the idea of videotaping was to prevent abuse, was I mistaken?
I certainly did work in the federal system as an agent, and also took and and passed the USSS polygraph (a job I did not take).  I left the Federal system and for personal reasons (like spending time with my family, and not getting a divorce) I went into local law enforcement-where I currently am a detective.
I disagree with your assessment that a failed polygraph is a fatal mark on your record.  Look at Fair Chance's example of how to work within an imperfect system.  Not only has his initial failed polygraph not impacted his current federal position, it has not stopped his current FBI process.
And Brian, I do not know any agency that uses polygraph as the sole hiring criteria.  Regardless of what you read on these pages, I know for fact that what is used is much more of a whole person approach.  Polygraph has however become the lightning rod of the hiring process, and a way to subjectively dismiss an otherwise acceptable applicant as "not within parameters". This is my belief anyway.
And as far as re-testing, an agency should not use the polygraph casually.  If a person fails the drug issue for example, specific re-testing and investigation should occur.  That is only fair to the applicant.

Orolan
When I mentioned something like taping would be cumbersome, you chose to remind me how to turn on a VHS and camera.  I meant it might be impractical in a high volume agency to keep such recordings, and it would be almost out of the question financially to provide a personal video record to each applicant.  We use a time delayed recorder in the 12 hour mode to get about 6-7 tests on one video. See my point?
As far as championing other causes, I would never want anyone to waste excessive time, as some already do here, on further causes.  A simple recognition would be sufficient that human bias, incompetence, arbitrary standards like those contained in some physical tests, certain psychological tests misused for applicant screening...have hurt more than polygraph ever will.  Im sure you get the idea.
Why most working law enforcement officers that need answers dont mind using polygraph is simple.  They have seen it work.  So to be limited by someone who has just failed, and is pissed off, and wants revenge...does'nt sit well.
Personally, I want to request one if I think I need it.

Your zeal will never take the place of my experience.

IP Logged

Especially Senior User

Reply #39 - May 22nd, 2003 at 1:58am
Breeze,
I still think that audio taping would suffice. And if the applicant passes, and is told right then that they passed, there is no reason to keep the recording. Or, with today's technology, the audio can be burned directly onto a CD on-the-fly in MP3 format by the same laptop the polygrapher is using for the test. I have one CD with 185 songs on it, averaging 6 minutes in length. That's 18.5 hours of audio. Three days worth of polygraphs on one CD. What is impractical about that? And again, I do not advocate giving copies to every examinee. Just make it available to the examinee, or make them pay for a copy if they want one. Plenty of other agencies charge for copies of records, so I'm sure the FBI, CIA, NSA, etc. can do the same.
As for the "other causes", I concede that you have a valid point. (Must not be my day. First Batman, now you.) Biased, incompetent and prejudiced interviewers do cause a lot of people to be eliminated. There will always be people like this, because we're all human. Much like the battle to end racial profiling by patrolmen, it can only be stopped by reviewing the acceptance/rejection patterns of the various interviewers. Not sure about the physical fitness tests. But my health spa is full of electronic weight-lifting machines, stair-step machines, running treadmills, etc. Kind of hard to get the machine to discriminate, don't you think?
Having never actually "failed" a polygraph, I am not a pissed off person looking for revenge. But since I basically "flat-lined" a polygraph that I very evidently lied on, without the use or knowledge of countermeasures, I find the polygraph process to be suspect.

IP Logged

Reply #40 - May 22nd, 2003 at 8:17am
Breeze,
You said,
And Brian, I do not know any agency that uses polygraph as the sole hiring criteria.  Regardless of what you read on these pages, I know for fact that what is used is much more of a whole person approach.  Polygraph has however become the lightning rod of the hiring process, and a way to subjectively dismiss an otherwise acceptable applicant as "not within parameters". This is my belief anyway. 

That is the whole point about the polygraph. 
The USSS and the FBI absolutely use this as the sole criteria.  I know this firsthand, and also from other FBI sources.  The USSS states in their conditional offer of employment that the offer is conditional to passing a polygraph examination.  When at the same time they lie and state in the paper, Washinghton Post author Bill Miller, that the polygraph will not itself eliminate an applicant.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #41 - May 22nd, 2003 at 8:33am
The_Breeze wrote on May 21st, 2003 at 5:45pm:
Im seeing alot of posters lately make comments about "dusting" polygraphers or in one hero's example using sophisticated multi level countermeasures.  If you are taking multiple polygraphs you have probably not been hired.  Perhaps you would be more specific as to the agency and the polygrapher?  As no crime is committed in clenching your buttcheeks during a pseudo-scientific ritual, what would you fear from disclosure? simply post the results, or get your charts and show those as well.  In other words stop the idle boasting, and prove how easy this countermeasure business really is. You are not working for the agency anyway, and have nothing to lose. 
Awhile back George, I asked if you wanted to do this on an organized basis and post the results.  You have ignored that request in favor of unscientific, unprovable personal accounts riddled with factual omissions and exaggeration.

Breeze, that polygraphy is susceptible to countermeasures is well established. By contrast, no polygrapher has every demonstrated any ability to detect countermeasures. The discusssion you referenced above is to be found in the message thread Thanks to TLBTLD I PASSED!!!. Skeptical readers may judge for themselves whose arguments regarding polygraphy are based on "unscientific, unprovable personal accounts riddled with factual omissions and exaggeration."

Quote:
And as I looked around the site briefly George I noted that you are not censoring some of the same language that you felt necessary to censor in one of my last posts where BT showed his entire ass.  Is this intentional, or are you engaging in selective censorship on this "free" site?

You were not targeted for censorhip. On 18 March 2003, we upgraded the software used to run this message board. The new software included, by default, a "censor list" of vulgar words that would be automatically replaced by asterisks in all posts. This unintended "censorship" was discovered on 10 April and immediately removed.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Seeker
Very Senior User

"There are only two sins:
 The first is to interfere
with the growth of another
human being, and the
second is to interfere
with one's own growth."
 Anonymous

Reply #42 - May 22nd, 2003 at 11:07am
batboy -
Well, after you call me both a small farm animal (chick) and a helpless human (babe), I tend to justify my lack of response to you.  You did, however, make a legitimate apology even though you followed it with more of your vile language.   
Just for the record:  I am a lady.  "Kick your ass.."    Puhlease, NOT.  I am indeed a lady, and a lady merely spanks the ass of such childish boys who have not been graduated into the ranks of manhood and have been denied the proper upbringing that teaches them to respect not only women, but all humankind.  As a few in here can attest, I have a reputation for gaining great pleasure from doing just that very thing to law enforcement/intelligence agents who mistook their badge and gun for some power trip to try and hide their inner ineptitude.

And my dear Chris,
You know how I feel about the polygraph, and how I feel about your situation.
Having said that, I too take objection to your posting.  I did not mean to imply that you were not devoted, dilligent or intelligent.  You grabbed that statement with fury dear.  Did I hit home?
And, Chris, the SAT is NOT a test of learned information.  It is a test of your ability to take standardized tests.  A person with excellent test taking skills can very easily score incredibly higher than their actual knowledge base.  Similarly, someone who suffers from test anxiety can quite easily score much less than their true knowledge level.   
The polygraph, while not a "test", does NOT measure life experiences!  Wow, wouldn't that be interesting if it did?  The polygraph measures physical responses.  See, I once foolishly thought a polygraph could measure my life expeiences too. I even thought it was some mystical box that could see my deepest and darkest secrets.  Of course that is just too much TV.  We all know that isn't even remotely true now.
My comment on devoted, dilligent and intelligent people is directly related to what I have come to believe to be an accountablility placed on all applicants for a job that requires a polygraph.  You blindly believed in your government.  Nice.  That is a kind thought.  The bottom line here is this Chris, I don't want anyone to be an agent in law enforcement/intelligence agencies charged with my safety and protection who is naive enough to blindly accept anything.  How does an investigator ever get to the facts without research?  If that was your aspiration, to be an investigating agent, why on earth did you not take one hour out of those months you devoted yourself to prepping yourself for the FBI to type into the search bar of your browser the word "polygraph"?   
Sure hindsight is 20/20, but I will back an applicant who comes to the interview table with a solid knowledge of the intricate workings of my company, agency, or business.   
None of this lessens the real and genuine affect a failed poly can have on a person who was genuine and honest.  To that end, yes, the polygraph exam should be audio/video recorded, and yes, it should be completely removed from the application process of ANY job.
This perhaps belonged in the Countermeasures thread, but I believe I have addressed both your comments there and those here.
Regards,
Seeker

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box The Shadow
User

Who knows what evil lurks
in the hearts of men?
 The Shadow knows

Reply #43 - May 23rd, 2003 at 5:26am
Batman,
You speak of your dark side; I think your dark side is your true side.  You find pleasure in jerking the chains of all who post to this site.  You find a perverse joy in making your own prejudiced and opinionated remarks about all who post hear.  You always seem to look for a fight rather than the solution.

In your real job, do you ever get along with your co-workers?  Your entire career is most likely a linty of control material.  I state this only because you preach so much self-righteousness that one can only surmise that you must have a closet full of skeletons in your bat cave.

Did you ever succeed at anything in your life or have you lived such a small shallow existence that you must resort to offending and trying to bully all those with whom you disagree?

Batman does provide for interesting dialogue here, if you are a fan of Jerry Springer.   Wink

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Batman
Very Senior User

Reply #44 - May 25th, 2003 at 1:03am
Mr. Shadow,

Of course the Bat Cave is littered with with skeletons; how do you think I was able to pass my initial polygraph examination?  Everyone has skeletons, it's just a matter of what kind.  Some are more RELEVANT than others, if you know what I mean!

What do you mean, "in my real job"?  How do you know this isn't my real job?   

Well, OK, it isn't.  In my real job, my co-workers love me, don't yours (in your mind)?  I don't know anyone who doesn't think their co-workers love them.  It's your supervisors you need to worry about.

I once hit the game winning homerun in Little League, does that count for succeeding in anything in my life?

As for always looking for a fight, well you got me there Shadow.  I do love a good knock down, drag out and am always on the look-out for one.  The problem here is the only guy that gave me some good shots took a real swing below the belt so I don't dance with him anymore.  It's not that I can't take a good punch to the 'tenders', but the one he gave was totally uncalled for.  He knows who he is, and if you really are the Shadow (which I doubt) then you should know too because, "......the Shadow knows."  Any guesses?

Batman

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Audio/Video Taping of Polygraph Examinations

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X