Normal Topic man accused of failing polygraph, actually passed! (Read 2214 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Johnn
Very Senior User

man accused of failing polygraph, actually passed!
Jan 15th, 2006 at 3:38am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Jailed nuclear physicist Wen Ho Lee was misled by federal investigators who told him he had failed a Department of Energy lie-detector test, CNN has learned. 

During a lengthy interrogation, FBI agents pressured Lee to admit to passing nuclear weapons secrets to China. Lee said he had not and insisted he was telling the truth. His interrogators, however, never told him that DOE polygraph operators had actually given him a high score for honesty

"I don't know why I fail," Lee told the FBI, according to a transcript of the interrogation obtained by "CNN & Time." 

"But I do know I have not done anything. ... I never give any classified information to Chinese people," he said during the March 7 questioning. 

Agents mentioned Rosenbergs 

The transcript indicates that the questioning by the federal agents was highly adversarial and ended only after Lee asked repeatedly to leave. Lee's family and supporters say the transcript reveals that the FBI was unfair and devious. 

Agents reminded Lee that Ethel and Julius Rosenberg, convicted of passing nuclear secrets to the Soviet Union during the 1950s, died in the electric chair, according to the transcripts. 

Daughter: 'I'm infuriated' 

In an exclusive interview with "CNN & TIME," Lee's children said they were outraged by the tactics of the FBI. 

"I can't believe the techniques they used in this interrogation, to try to get my father to confess to something he did not do," daughter Alberta Lee said. 

"I'm infuriated," she said. "I understand why he feels hopeless; he cooperated with them to begin with, and this is what happened." 

Her father, a 60-year-old Taiwan-born researcher, is being held without bail for allegedly copying classified nuclear data to computer tapes, seven of which are missing. 

Federal prosecutors deny their investigation was biased or unfair. They say the FBI's skepticism about Lee's statements was justified because he had lied in the past. Former prosecutors told CNN that such interrogation tactics are standard law enforcement procedure. 

The March interrogation took place one day before Lee was fired from his job at the Los Alamos National Laboratory in Los Alamos, New Mexico. 

Lee has pleaded innocent to 59 counts under the Atomic Energy and Espionage Acts for allegedly mishandling classified information. He was not charged with sharing the information with a non-U.S. government or other espionage offenses. 

If convicted, he could face life in prison. An FBI spokesman said he could not comment on the indictment. 

January 8, 2000
Web posted at: 6:45 p.m. EST (2345 GMT) CNN Archive

http://archives.cnn.com/2000/US/01/08/lee.fbi.02/index.html

This sort of thing most likely happens on the pre-employment polygraph retest  Angry

IP Logged

man accused of failing polygraph, actually passed!

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X