Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Audio/Video Taping of Polygraph Examinations (Read 68282 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Batman
Very Senior User

Re: Audio/Video Taping of Polygraph Examinations
Reply #15 - May 18th, 2003 at 11:25pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Orolan,

If your interpretation of this particular APA by-law is correct then there are a hell of a lot of polygrapers out there, to include those associated with federal, state, and local government, who are in direct viloation of same, however I believe your interpreation is incorrect.

George, 

You stated,

"Whether surgeries, medical check-ups, or car sales should be routinely audio- or videotaped is largely irrelevant to the question of whether such should be the case with regard to polygraph examinations." 

Sorry, but I disagree.  I can only assume your insistance that polygraph examinations be recorded is to protect the rights of the examinee.  Well what about the rights of patients, etc...?  Shouldn't we be equally, if not even more concerned about this?  The abuses within the medical profession are far more damaging than those within the polygraph profession.  I have been a polygraph examiner since 1984 and I have yet to hear of anyone losing their life as a direct result of a polygraph examination.  However, in that same time there have been countless cases of malpractise on the part of the medical profession.  These incidents have resulted in the loss of life, maiming, and serious, permanent physical and psychological damage.  How could this be irrelevant to the argument of recording a procedure for the protection of the examinee?  Is your concern really for the protection of the examinee's rights or is it just to try and put the screws to polygraph?

If it is the latter than why don't you hop down off your high horse and simply say so.  If your concerns are of a higher motive then I think you need to press forward and insist that any procedure that could harm anyone in any way be recorded in some fashion.  Damn, we should be recording just about every aspect of everyday life for that matter.  There's always something out there that brings pain and discomfort to someone. 

As for rational as to why a polygraph examination should not be recorded, I have none.  I also have no objection to recording polygraph examinations that I administer, and have done so.  As for providing these recordings to the examinee, now your getting into legal issues, because these recordings are treated as evidence.  I believe the examinee would eventually get a copy (through his attorney) under discovery, however that determination is made within the legal channels.  I would not have the authority to release them.  As for pre-employment screening, sorry, I don't administer such exams so I can not speak as to whether or not recordings of same could or could not be released to the examinee.  I will say this though, I would be more willing to provide an examinee with a full recording of any polygraph examination that I adminster, than a doctor is willing to give that same person a copy of his or her own medical records.  Now why is that?   

Oh, I almost forgot, on another thread, an obvious non-hire within the realm of law enforcement would be someone who has engaged in serious felony type activity, known or unknown to the agency to which he/she is applying.  Nice try on playing the race/sex card, kind of low, but expected. 

Batman

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box orolan
Especially Senior User

Reply #16 - May 19th, 2003 at 2:31am
Batman,
"...there are a hell of a lot of polygraphers out there, to include those associated with federal, state, and local government, who are in direct violation(sp) of same...". My point exactly. I still await word from Dr. Dutton of the APA.
As for the issue about recording other aspects of life, you are correct. There are many organizations out there working to correct the problems in the medical field as well as any other area with similar problems. They don't need our help. This forum is dedicated to polygraph issues.
I have no doubt that you perform polygraph tests in a professional manner and would not mind having the examination recorded. But the fact is, there are those who are not quite so ethical.
« Last Edit: May 19th, 2003 at 3:49am by orolan »  

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." &&U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #17 - May 19th, 2003 at 3:43am
Batman,

There may well be good reasons for other procedures to be recorded, but as Orolan noted, AntiPolygraph.org is concerned with polygraph issues.

I am glad to see that you no longer object to the recording of polygraph examinations. Last year, in the discussion thread Who's Using Polygraph you expressed a different opinion:

Quote:
So the reason we don't record all interrogations is simply that juries for the most part are made up of idiots.  Like it or not, that is the way it is.  Attornies on both sides know this, Law Enforcement Officers know this, and judges know this.  It seems the only ones who don't know this are the Bozo's on this site who believe we should be taping every interview and interrogation.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #18 - May 19th, 2003 at 8:37pm
George,

I'd give you a point or two for digging up that quote except I don't believe it was an objection to recording interviews, polygraphs or interrogations, it was simply an explanation as to why it isn't done.  I stand by what I said.  The primary reason law enforcement does not routinely record interviews/interrogations is simply that much of what is said it taken out of context by defense attornies and presented to juries in such a manner as to lead them to believe a persons rights were violated, or the law enforcement officers did something illegal, improper, or wrong.  Contrary to popular belief, it isn't always the law enforcement officials who object to recording what they do, it's the prosecutors.  There have been numerous occasions where I would have loved to have a confession on tape, however was prohibited from doing so.  Even though I have no personal objection to recording interviews or interrogations, I can certainly understand the reluctance to do so.  Our jury system if far from perfect, and defense attornies are fully aware of what it takes to overload the somewhat limited mental capacities of many jurors. 

Maybe you should be going after prosecutors, and elected officials rather than law enforcement officers and polygraph examiners as it pertains to recording various procedures related to interviews and interrogations, to include polygraph examinations.

Again, I believe you are willing to throw the baby out with the bath water simply because you perceive yourself as having been wronged by polygraph.  You have said that if you had received the postion that was denied to you (as a result of your 'failed' polygraph) then your personal vendetta against polygraph would never have come to being.  I'm sorry, but I have to seriously question your overall motives as it pertains to this crusade of yours against polygraph.  I would be much more impressed if you had taken this position regardless of your polygraph results, however by your own admission, we wouldn't be having this conversation if you had 'passed'.   

Batman

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anonymous

Reply #19 - May 19th, 2003 at 9:17pm
Batman,

You seem to miss the obvious logic and necessity of George's having to have failed a polygraph examination before his ability to raise the issues that he has so articulately done over the last few years.  He readily admits that he was not aware of the fraud, deceit, and lack of validity connected with various aspects of polygraphy prior to that time.  Although he had the conviction of the principles he now displays, prior to that time, he did by his own admission not have the knowledge that is the foundation for his commentary.  Do not be misled by your own foolishness on this subject, and even worse, do not mistake and misjudge the motives of one whose words and analysis have been considerably more noteworthy than yours on topics of interest and whose goals and actions are far more selfless and less subject to the scrutiny associated with self interest than are yours...

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #20 - May 19th, 2003 at 10:30pm
Anonymous,

Thank you so much for that stirring blowjob of George. 

However, his motivations are revealed in his simple admission that if he had in fact 'passed' his polygraph and gained admission to the "good old boys club" that he sought membership to, he would not have raised such a loyal anti-polygraph following as yourself because he would be on the inside looking out.

Don't promote George for sainthood just yet.  He's just as big a hypocrite as many who post here.  George didn't come upon his revelation until he was denied admission to the club.  By his own words; if he had gained admission then this anti-polygraph stance of his wouldn't be an issue.  He wouldn't be out there bearing the cross for the anti-polygraph community.  It is possible he would still harbor his anti-polygraph sentiments, however highly doubtful he would have put voice to them.  He would have simply stood by and watched all the poor, and abused polygraph victims languish in the wind, as he moved up the chain.   

Your anti-polygraph god is a false one, so beware who you worship.  As far as I am concerned, the only person who ever needed to suffer in order to relieve the pain of others was Jesus Christ.      

I anxiously await the removal of George's appendage from your mouth so you can reply.

Batman

PS: Save all the remarks about my crudeness, it's been well documented that on occasion, and when given the proper motivation, I am such. 

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Seeker
Very Senior User

"There are only two sins:
 The first is to interfere
with the growth of another
human being, and the
second is to interfere
with one's own growth."
 Anonymous

Reply #21 - May 19th, 2003 at 10:55pm
Batboy:
Lovely gentlemanly qualities you display in here.
You never cease to amaze me with your charm.
Regards,
Lady Seeker

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

BaRe: Audio/Video Taping of Polygraph Examinations
Reply #22 - May 19th, 2003 at 11:02pm
Batman,

I suppose in reverse order....it is quite clear that you don't need motivation to be crude, it comes rather naturally.  On rare occasion, apparently some perverse motivation must lead you to be or do otherwise.

Neither George nor any on this site has made the sacrilegious comparison you made in your recent post.  I would advice against such or at least make those in your presence aware of such behavior so they can avoid the consequences of your actions.

With regard to the subject at hand, how can you possibly be so stupid?  George has said on numerous occasions that he believed the foolishness of polygraph until confronted with the conflict between what he knew/knows to be ground truth regarding relevant issues and the results obtained on the polygraph exam in question.  If that examination had not existed, he would have had no reason to reconsider his previous beliefs and do the research necessary to inform himself and which now allows others to benefit from that knowledge.  Your crudeness, blasphemy, and stupidity all combined will not overcome knowledge and truth.  Perhaps your community might do better with a different spokesperson or perhaps eventually realizing the folly of your ways you might consider another approach under a different pseudonym.  You have so little credibility at this point and have so stained the name of the caped crusader that I don't believe you can recover excepting a cyber costume change at this juncture.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #23 - May 19th, 2003 at 11:52pm
Anonymous,

Why is it you feel so compelled to chime in on St. George's behalf?  I have to believe that such an intelligent individual as he can put forth his own comments regarding my limited words of wit.   

How can I be so stupid you ask?  What makes me stupid in your opinion?  Is it that I do not blindly fall in line with St. George's anti-polygraph stance?  Is it because I have the audacity to challenge his sacred motivation?  Is it because I challenge his perception, and thus yours, of knowledge and truth?  Exactly who was it that decreed St. George as the bearer of knowledge and truth?  Or is it my simple crudeness and blasphemy.  Who was it that I blasphemed...St. George?

Your stupidity on the other hand is obvious, based on your total lack of knowledge about the Caped Crusader.  Everyone (except you) knows that the Caped Crusader has a dark side, as do all super heroes.  That's what keeps St. George out of the category of super hero.  He has no dark side.  His motives are pure, he is all knowing and ever truthful.  In reality, he is the anti-hero (a.k.a. the Anti-Christ).  You better switch sides while the switcihin' is good mister.

Now if you don't mind, take a breather, and let St. George speak for  himself.

Batman

IP Logged

Reply #24 - May 20th, 2003 at 12:10am
Batman,

No doubt, George, will address your simple wit in due time, but, perhaps in the mean time, you might refer me to the appropriate comic book, TV or movie production where Batman comes forth with a crudity (same or similar) such as that which you displayed in your post before last.  I think not...and as I said before, the polygraph community is sorely lacking if this is the best they can offer.  Re-read my last post and see if you can pick up on your stupidity...even you may see the logic of George's needing to have failed a polygraph exam in order to have reason to explain the conflict between ground truth and polygraph results....if you read it three times.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Brian

Reply #25 - May 20th, 2003 at 2:57am
By his own words; if he had gained admission then this anti-polygraph stance of his wouldn't be an issue.  He wouldn't be out there bearing the cross for the anti-polygraph community.  It is possible he would still harbor his anti-polygraph sentiments, however highly doubtful he would have put voice to them.  He would have simply stood by and watched all the poor, and abused polygraph victims languish in the wind, as he moved up the chain.   

Come on now, are you kidding me????
Is a rape victim a false hero if after her ordeal she helps young women who have been victimized also?  Are people affected by drunk drivers kiiling thier family members hipocrits if they use their experience to speak about the harmfullness of drinking and driving.  Your argument is weak.   

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #26 - May 20th, 2003 at 9:48am
Batman,

Your uncivil remarks to Anonymous are inexcusable. You should be ashamed of yourself.

You write:

Quote:
Again, I believe you are willing to throw the baby out with the bath water simply because you perceive yourself as having been wronged by polygraph.  You have said that if you had received the postion that was denied to you (as a result of your 'failed' polygraph) then your personal vendetta against polygraph would never have come to being.  I'm sorry, but I have to seriously question your overall motives as it pertains to this crusade of yours against polygraph.  I would be much more impressed if you had taken this position regardless of your polygraph results, however by your own admission, we wouldn't be having this conversation if you had 'passed'.

Your opinion of my "overall motives" has no bearing on the merits of any argument(s) I've made regarding polygraphy. This attempt to change the subject with a personal attack is a classic ad hominem argument.

I explained the personal experiences that led me to speak publicly on polygraph matters in the message thread Who's Using Polygraph. It bears repeating here.

When I failed my FBI pre-employment polygraph examination despite having told the truth, I was dumbfounded. I couldn't believe it. But it didn't directly cause me to form an antipolygraph point of view. My polygrapher had told me that the polygraph was 98% accurate. I naively believed him, and supposed I must have fallen within the 2% margin of error of an otherwise valid test.

It was only after reading David T. Lykken's seminal book on polygraphy, A Tremor in the Blood: Uses and Abuses of the Lie Detector that my position against polygraphy solidified. I was outraged to learn that my government had branded me as a liar based on a procedure that has no scientific basis whatsoever. As an officer in the Army reserve, I had adhered to a code not to lie, cheat, or steal, or tolerate those who do. My government (through an FBI polygrapher) had deliberately lied to me, just as it continues to lie to every single employee or prosepective employee it polygraphs. And I had no avenue of appeal.

For several years, I bit the bullet. I said nothing publicly. I had no idea how many others had been similarly affected. That changed in 1999, when I found the website NoPolygraph.com and linked up with other polygraph victims, who are much more numerous than I had supposed. I was at first reluctant, but ultimately felt compelled to take a public stand on the polygraph issue.

A year later--and after much research, correspondence, and cooperation with others--I co-authored The Lie Behind the Lie Detector and helped to launch AntiPolygraph.org.

So, in some sense, my experience in failing a polygraph "test" ultimately led to my forming an antipolygraph viewpoint and the establishment of this website. But it is certainly not the sole reason.

If I had not had the experience of failing the polygraph, I might never have researched it further, or discovered the extent of the harm that reliance on this pseudoscience is causing both to individuals, and to the national security and public safety. Indeed, I would most likely have spent my time engaged in other pursuits.

Batman, you have correctly observed that there are other, greater harms in society than that caused by polygraphy. I have no disagreement with you here. But you seem to suggest that all societal ills greater than those related to polygraphy must be addressed before polygraphy comes in for scrutiny, and that if I and others focus on polygraph issues now, that we are somehow "hypocrites." I strongly disagree. (By that logic, the harm associated with reliance on the pseudoscience of polygraphy must be allowed to continue so long as greater problems exist, i.e., forever.)  As Orolan noted, there are many organizations dedicated to addressing other issues. My life experience has made me aware of polygraph issues. I speak of that which I know. That I speak out on polygraph issues, instead of, say, medical malpractice (an issue regarding which I have little knowledge or experience) does not, in my opinion, make me a "hypocrite."

AntiPolygraph.org exists for the purpose of ending the harm associated with reliance on the pseudoscience of polygraphy. We seek to expose and end polygraph waste, fraud and abuse. We have no "hidden agenda." Before AntiPolygraph.org, there was no organization decicated to polygraph issues. The popularity of this website speaks to the need for such an organization.

All information on AntiPolygraph.org is provided to the public for free, and neither I, Gino Scalabrini, nor anyone else associated with AntiPolygraph.org receives any remuneration, in cash or in kind, for our efforts. I think that the considerable time and effort we've put into the site has been time well spent.

I make no claim to godhood, sainthood, omniscience, or super heroism.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Poly-Killer
Senior User

"Knock, Knock!"

Reply #27 - May 20th, 2003 at 10:21am
Batman appears to be overflowing with guano at times. Although I do admit, I am very entertained quite often by his posts. I don't usually comment on Batman's posts, but Brian hit it right on the button. His argument is extremely weak this time.  

By the way, Batman, what state are you in? Although not likely, maybe you are one of the 3 different examiners I dusted.  Wink

PK
« Last Edit: May 20th, 2003 at 10:47am by Poly-Killer »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Seeker
Very Senior User

"There are only two sins:
 The first is to interfere
with the growth of another
human being, and the
second is to interfere
with one's own growth."
 Anonymous

Reply #28 - May 20th, 2003 at 12:08pm
And so we continue to endure this thread in which no one has yet to put forth any rational explanation as to why something as simple as an audio/video recording of all polygraphs SHOULD NOT BE requred of those friendly and considerate examiners.

Dear Batboy, every time there is a thread that makes the unemployment line look ever brighter, you come in and display your total lack of upbringing.  Now, I have no problems with you disagreeing with the bulk of us who see polygraph examinations for the fraud that they are, however one does have to seriously ponder the likes of you.  

It is obvious from your posts that you have little to no respect for yourself, muchless for others.  Being a lady, I have to have intense fear from ever being in a position to associate with you.  Not only do you have a nastiness toward women, but display blatant disprespect for them.  You know that ladies come in here, and to spew such low-life and ignorant remarks is very ungentlemanly-like.

Batboy, it is people in positions like yours, positions wherein your own internal ineptitude dangerously places you in a position to control lives, that is as much a risk and danger to National Security as that toy that you play with.

Audio/video recordings would provide some genuine guarantee that you do not abuse that position, or that you do not come across a strong female like myself who, out of public service, would recycle you into an appropriately functioning male member of society, and attempt to pull your arrogance and cruel nastiness out on me.  Audio/video recordings would guarantee professionalism.  

I have yet to hear one single argument to reason NOT audio/video recording these fraudulent and flawed "tests".

Regards,
Seeker
« Last Edit: May 20th, 2003 at 1:49pm by Seeker »  
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #29 - May 20th, 2003 at 7:34pm
Gangin' up on the Batman are we?

What is it about my posts that brings all the troops to the front?

George, 

Ashamed of what?  My God, Anonymous' post was enough to make anyone sick.  Here I always thought Beech was your head cheerleader, but Anonymous must want the position pretty bad.  I do not recall you ever touting yourself for sainthood, but why would you when you have guys like Anonymous around?

Now, were you really totally truthful on your polygraph?

Brian,

What tree did you fall out of?  You just can't jump in on Batman like that.  You have to establish yourself by receiving a few zingers first.  I'll address you after you've proven yourself more worthy.

PolyKiller,

Appreciate the kudos.  As for what state I'm in, some would argue a pretty awful one.

Ah My Dear Seeker,

To you and only you do I apologize for my crude remarks, in hopes that, if we ever meet on the street you won't kick my ass.  Are you a biker chick?  Got any totoos?   Love ya babe.

To all,

Had a good day today, made even better when I read the notes from all my on-line buddies.  Thanks!!!

Oh, almost left out Anonymous:

Regarding Batman's dark side; the character for Batman was originated by Bob Kane based on a few different inspirations, Leonardo da Vinci's man with wings was the inspiration for the cape and a man being able to fly, Douglas Fairbanks, Sr was the inspiration for Bruce Wayne, but most importantly the old 1935 movie, 'The Bat Wispers' was the inspiration for the overall character.  The movie is about a criminal who led a dark, shadowy life, thus the dark side of Batman!   

I know, for I am......   

Batman
« Last Edit: May 20th, 2003 at 10:33pm by Batman »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Audio/Video Taping of Polygraph Examinations

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X