Normal Topic Specific issue polygraph (Read 5695 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Robert
New User

Specific issue polygraph
May 10th, 2003 at 11:07am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I have a question to ask of those in the know concerning specifc issue testing. It has been implied through the information sourses that I have been reading that the specific issue "Test" is supposedly more accurate or valid than the screening test. I would like to know what criteria is required to define a test as "specific issue"?, and why would it be considered more valid? Thanks. 

"I believe it is an established maxim in morals that he who makes an assertion without knowing whether it is true or false, is guilty of falsehood; and the accidental truth of the assertion, does not justify or excuse him."&&&& Abe Lincoln

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Specific issue polygraph
Reply #1 - May 10th, 2003 at 11:25am
Robert,

A "single issue" (sometimes also called "specific issue") polygraph examination is one concerning a single matter, for example, a bank robbery. Generally, some form of "Zone Comparison Test" (ZCT) is used for this purpose. A "multiple issue" polygraph examination would involve two or more matters, for example, a bank robbery and a liquor store robbery. Some variety of "Modified General Question Test" (MGQT) is generally used for this purpose.

A "specific incident"  polygraph examination (also sometimes referred to as a "specific issue" examination, creating confusion) is one concerning an incident known to have occurred, such as, again, a bank robbery. Specific incident polygraph examinations stand in contrast to screening examinations, in which the relevant questions are about matters not known to have occurred.

CQT polygraphy, whether used for specific incident or screening purposes, has no validity as a diagnostic technique: it has absolutely no grounding in the scientific method.

However, in specific incident examinations (regarding crimes known to have occurred), the polygraph examiner will often have supplemental information apart from the polygraph charts that may help him/her to make a determination of truth versus deception (e.g., the fact that a certain subject had the means and motive to commit the crime, and has no alibi). In such cases the polygraph examiner might well arrive at correct decisions more than half the time, but this does not confer scientific validity on CQT polygraphy. As the National Academy of Sciences noted in its polygraph report, there is essentially no evidence on the additive validity of polygraph, that is, its ability to add diagnostic value to that which can be achieved without the polygraph (e.g., interrogating a suspect without the use of a polygraph, or with a mock-up device that the subject is led to believe is a polygraph).
« Last Edit: May 10th, 2003 at 9:56pm by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Robert
New User

Reply #2 - May 11th, 2003 at 8:32am
George,

Thanks for the information, that does clear up for me the definition of terms that I have been reading about. I appreciate you and the others who make this information available and understandable. Keep up the good work. 

Sincerely Robert

"I believe it is an established maxim in morals that he who makes an assertion without knowing whether it is true or false, is guilty of falsehood; and the accidental truth of the assertion, does not justify or excuse him."&&&& Abe Lincoln

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #3 - May 11th, 2003 at 9:22am
Robert,

You're very welcome. If you know others who may someday face a polygraph interrogation, I hope you'll pass on to them what you've learned.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Specific issue polygraph

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X