Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) FBI / Law enforcment message boards (Read 44949 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Matt B.
New User

FBI / Law enforcment message boards
Feb 2nd, 2003 at 2:17am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Does anyone know of any web sites that have message boards like this one but deal mostly in hiring processes and questions about getting a job in different federal law enforment agencies?

Thanks in Advance

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Guest

Re: FBI / Law enforcment message boards
Reply #1 - Feb 18th, 2003 at 10:18pm
www.911jobforums.com

These are serious people that are currently or are looking to be Federal LEOs.  There are a lot of very useful posting about the processes involved with a wide range of law enforcement careers.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Reply #2 - Feb 20th, 2003 at 9:34am
Gentlemen,

Regrettably, there is a lot more to 911jobforums.com than meets the eye. The forums there are highly censored (even PolygraphPlace.com has a greater tolerance for free speech). 911hotjobs is a for-profit entity and receives substantial advertising revenue from various law enforcement employers. Posts not "toeing the party line" are frequently deleted.

I hold the owner of that site, Bob Amaral, in very low regard. In addition to his arbitrary and capricious deleting of posts, Mr. Amaral once placed libelous statements about George Maschke on the header of every page on his site.

My last experience with 911jobforums.com was roughly two years ago. At that time, posts exposing the trickery behind polygraphy were instantly deleted. Previous to the existence of AntiPolygraph.org, many posts on polygraphy referred to Doug Williams. Amaral claimed these posts were deleted because they were of a commercial purpose (hard to believe considering the commercial content of other posts that remained). Despite this claim, posts not referring to any commercial site were also deleted. When I wrote him for clarification on the terms of service were for his entity, he declined to reply. I was left to surmise that the house rule was to disallow any posts that provide derogatory information about advertisers (LE employers) or potential advertisers.

Recently, I noticed that the site was actually hawking a book that provides information on polygraph countermeasures. I don’t know how this squares with how they were handling the message board. 

It would be interesting to see if this type of reprehensible behavior is still going on. Perhaps someone can post an explanation of the trickery behind polygraphy on an appropriate thread at 911jobforums.com. Better yet, include the words AntiPolygraph.org. Let’s see how long it lasts.
« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2003 at 3:43am by G Scalabr »  
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Reply #3 - Mar 2nd, 2003 at 10:35am
Gentlemen,

Note that a poster on this board recently described how his account of his FBI polygraph experience on www.911jobforums.com was deleted. 

The thread can be found here.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Bob_Amaral
New User

Re: FBI / Law enforcement message boards
Reply #4 - Mar 4th, 2003 at 5:44am
You are right. We have been kind of strict about the polygraph on our site. I apologize for this. We have software in place that automatically deletes polygraph topics. If a polygraph topic is posted enough times by a member, then the software automatically bans the person. As of today, I have turned off that software. People may now have the ability to talk about the polygraph no problem. However....I want the polygraph threads to help applicants. I don't want it turned into a soap box thread.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #5 - Mar 7th, 2003 at 10:29am
Dear Mr. Amaral,

I congratulate you on changing your policy to allow unhindered discussion of polygraph matters on 911jobforums.com! As you're undoubtedly aware, polygraph screening is a topic of keen interest to law enforcement applicants, and for good reason: the National Academy of Sciences recently determined that polygraph screening is completely invalid.

I hope that you will also reverse your policy of not allowing references to AntiPolygraph.org and other polygraph-related websites on 911jobforums.com. The polygraph-related threads on your website will be most helpful to applicants if they are able to openly discuss all aspects of polygraphy and polygraph policy, including the information that is available at no cost here on AntiPolygraph.org (a non-profit, public interest website).
« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2003 at 10:55am by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #6 - Mar 8th, 2003 at 8:47pm
Apparently, although 911jobforums.com may no longer be automatically deleting polygraph-related message threads, their moderators are prepared to do so manually. See the following message thread:

http://www.911jobforums.com/vB/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=19055

where the moderator gives a vague warning to keep posts "professional and on the topic."

Quote:
This tends to be one of those sore subjects. Do a search and I'm sure you'll find plenty of previous discussion. I don't think anyone on the board can offer something that speaks to "Going on the record" for agencies; only discuss theories supporting agencies various policies. Polygraphs are an accepted form of pre-employment screening. Yes there are stories of frustration and alleged false results. However, polygraphs are here and likely not to go away anytime soon. You'd be better off to accept it and deal with it. That is to say, that excessive heartburn and worry won't make them go away. 

For those of you considering to respond: I have asked the other mods that cover down on the Fed forum to look at this thread. I know that in the past we have seen this same discussion get out of hand. Please keep you comments professional and on the topic, otherwise, I'm certain it'll be deleted outright.

911jobforums.com's past policy was to delete posts that venture too close to the truth about polygraphy, for example any that explain the difference between relevant and "control" questions. It's not clear that any real change has taken place in that policy.
« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2003 at 9:20am by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box triple x
Very Senior User

Fear what you cannot see...

Reply #7 - Mar 10th, 2003 at 4:00am
George,

I posted a new thread on 911jobforums.com to see if the moderator will delete it, or allow it to remain as posted. It can be viewed at: 

http://www.911jobforums.com/vB/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=19078

The post is a [copy & paste] of one of my previous post(s) on this board titled "New York Times Report on Polygraph Testing".

Be advised, I posted under the same board identity as I do here, "triple x".

Regards,
triple x

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fred F.
Very Senior User

Get Educated.... Knowledge
is Power

Reply #8 - Mar 10th, 2003 at 4:40am
Triple X,

Your post has been eliminated as far I can determine. I can't believe how heavily regulated the boards are. It kind of reminds me of standing in line to take a written and listening to people make up stories. Mr. Amaral , please ease up on your focus, after all, the poly is part of the process!

Fred F. Wink

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Bob_ Amaral

Reply #9 - Mar 10th, 2003 at 5:04am
We are easing up. There is a great discussion about the polygraph on ur board right now. What we won't stand for is just a cutting and pasting of articles splattered all over of site. If you want to help applicants with your own words...that is fine, but to tell a person to "go here" or "go there", or to cut and paste articles regarding the polygraph...well it is not going to happen. I am honestly trying here. We have had to remove 4 cut and pasted articles within the past 2 days.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box triple x
Very Senior User

Fear what you cannot see...

Reply #10 - Mar 10th, 2003 at 5:30am
Fred F.,

You are absolutely correct. My post has in fact been deleted from the 911jobforum message board. That’s incredible, my message was deleted within the very hour in which it was posted.

What a pathetic excuse for an open forum message board. What ever happened to freedom of speech? Apparently, on the 911jobforum board, if your post is not totally inline with the views of the board moderator, [Bob Amaral] they delete you message. 

The following is the text message I receive when I attempt to view my message thread.

"vBulletin Message 
Invalid thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the webmaster "

Friend and foe alike on antipolygraph.org message board can agree, we are extended the right to free speech.

They can say what they want to against George and Gino J. Scalabrini, but they do not delete messages that differ with their own views. 

George does not even delete message threads that personally slander and insult him on a personal level.

The critics that do not support George’s views on polygraph testing, should at least respect him for allowing free speech on this board.

911jobforum.com is a pathetic website that masquerades as an open forum allowing ones own personal views, as well as an exchange of thoughts, ideals, opinions, etc. I assure you it is not. My post was deleted within the same hour in which it was posted.

Respectfully,
Triple x

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Seeker
Very Senior User

"There are only two sins:
 The first is to interfere
with the growth of another
human being, and the
second is to interfere
with one's own growth."
 Anonymous

Reply #11 - Mar 11th, 2003 at 3:27am
I simply haven't found any other site that compares to Antipolygraph.org's liberty with those who post.  All this fuss is made about those who come in here and say that they passed a poly by using countermeasures, yet if they were to post that over in 911, they would be deleted.  Stones are thrown at this site by the likes of Menges simply because this site exercises the greatest freedoms of the American people -- Freedom of Speech.   

Shame on 911jobforums for their censorship.

Respectfully,

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box steincj
Very Senior User

Reply #12 - Mar 11th, 2003 at 6:06am

Seeker wrote on Mar 11th, 2003 at 3:27am:

this site exercises the greatest freedoms of the American people -- Freedom of Speech.  

This is so true it brings a tear to my eye.  Especially after the numerous tounge-lashings I took from the FBI for posting my story here.

Quote:

Shame on 911jobforums for their censorship.

I went and peeked around 911jobforums.  I have to say I was in shock.  There were many questions I could have answered to prospective FBI candidates, not only about the polygraph, but also about the application process itself -- some of the same information I have provided to individuals on this site.

Well, I couldn't post as a guest on that site, because they don't allow it.  I considered registering, but if my posts are just going to be censored, why should I?

Mr. Amaral, please don't come here and tell us that you are "easing up."  You are not doing anyone on your site any service by only telling one side of a story.  You ought to have big disclaimers flashing on your page, saying "We censor anything our sponsors might be offended by!"  This way, the registered users who think they are getting good advice might research a little more before they walk into the hornet's nest completely oblivious.

Of course, for a Probable Lie Control Question Test to "work," they have to be oblivious, right Bob?  You and your site are just another pawn in the system.  Good luck sleeping at night knowing you dupe your users into false security through censorship.  Sounds REALLY American, doesn't it, comrade?

Chris

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box culo

Reply #13 - Mar 11th, 2003 at 6:33am
Who would want the job of censoring a message board?  Is this person PAID with MY tax dollars?  Must be the same addle-brained policy that spent my tax dollars on "operation pipe dreams" censoring the internet by actually taking over the domain names of bong and waterpipe sellers.   

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030225/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/dru...

They even busted Chong! Are they next going to take away pop cans, toilet paper rolls, and tin foil?  Maybe they will bust Alcoa, Coca Cola, and Charmin next.   

Meanwhile, Afganistan has once again become the biggest heroine producer, http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/2814861.stm, Osama runs free, and they tell us to buy duct tape!

Pipe dreams indeed.  I look in on this web site every so often, expecting to see the US flag that the government posts on the sites they have censored.  I'm glad it's still here, but they way our civil liberties are being systematically routed, I will not be surprised when the day comes that it is gone.

--- Cujo

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #14 - Jul 6th, 2003 at 3:30pm
Here is a message board specifically about the FBI, with an emphasis on employment-related questions:

http://greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a.tcl?topic=The%20FBI

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

FBI / Law enforcment message boards

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X