Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Intercept/Ed Gelb in LA--any experience? (Read 110273 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box sie
User

Re: Intercept/Ed Gelb in LA--any experience?
Reply #45 - Feb 3rd, 2003 at 11:15am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
If I was this Ed Gelb and you George Challenged me to Verify my educational backround this is something I would gladly provide, regardless of how insignificant I believed your site to be.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box beech trees
God Member

Reply #46 - Feb 6th, 2003 at 8:44pm
I take it Dr. Gelb has been less than forthcoming with everyone's requests to see his resume and/or CV? Anyone?

Also, if the original poster could please reply with their experience at his office I'd appreciate it.

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government." ~ Thomas Paine

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box maryPD

Reply #47 - Feb 8th, 2003 at 11:09pm
No he just commited a felony by perjuring himself. No bad for the President of the United States.   You moron
Quote:

Batman,

I would think the polygraph community would be the last corporate body to criticize Bill Clinton for deceit.  I don't know how many lies or how frequently he told them, but I think we can rest assured that he did not tell as many as a polygraph examiner who lies every times he gives a CQT examination.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box anonymouse1

Reply #48 - Feb 9th, 2003 at 12:45am

Quote:

No he just commited a felony by perjuring himself. No bad for the President of the United States.   You moron

You unwittingly bring up an interesting moral and legal conundrum with regard to polygraph interrogations. The pro-polygraph side was at one point on this board working the angle that it's a felony violation of some part of the US Federal Law to lie to an agent of the Federal Government-- hence we're all scum when we use countermeasures and (by necessity) lie about doing so.

They (the polygrahers) never pause to consider that THEY THEMSELVES are guilty of the exact same felony every damn time they administer a polygraph to a member of a federal agency.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Skeptic
God Member

Reply #49 - Feb 9th, 2003 at 1:42am
Quote:

You unwittingly bring up an interesting moral and legal conundrum with regard to polygraph interrogations. The pro-polygraph side was at one point on this board working the angle that it's a felony violation of some part of the US Federal Law to lie to an agent of the Federal Government-- hence we're all scum when we use countermeasures and (by necessity) lie about doing so.

They (the polygrahers) never pause to consider that THEY THEMSELVES are guilty of the exact same felony every damn time they administer a polygraph to a member of a federal agency.

In fairness, I think the law is intended to prevent misleading a federal official into making a wrong decision regarding federal resources -- as it's written, it's not illegal to lie to a federal official about something unrelated to his or her job, or in some inconsequential way.

That does, of course, bring up an interesting point: if that's what the law was intended to do, then doesn't it follow that people should make every effort to ensure federal officials come to the correct decisions?  Isn't that an argument for the concealed use of countermeasures?

Skeptic

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box PROAc
New User

Reply #50 - Feb 12th, 2003 at 6:43am
Grin

According to http://www.polygraph.org/apa4rev.htm#officers, three officers have Ph.D. 
Searching Dissertation Abstracts and Worldcat in Fristsearch,
I found two disertations for two but not for one.

Nothing on Ryan Tulley

Gordon Barland, Ph.D..
DETECTION OF DECEPTION IN CRIMINAL SUSPECTS: A FIELD VALIDATION STUDY.
Author(s): BARLAND, GORDON H.
Degree: PH.D.
Year: 1975
Institution: THE UNIVERSITY OF UTAH

Frank Horvath, Ph.D
THE ACCURACY AND RELIABILITY OF POLICE POLYGRAPHIC ("LIE DETECTOR") EXAMINERS' JUDGMENTS OF TRUTH AND DECEPTION: THE EFFECT OF SELECTED VARIABLES.
Author(s): HORVATH, FRANK S.
Degree: PH.D.
Year: 1974
Pages: 00235
Institution: MICHIGAN STATE UNIVERSITY; 0128

Since half of all law enforcement personnel majored in psychology, John Gray has a Ph.D. from a diploma mill. 
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/women_rebuttal_from_uranus/school.htm&n...;
about "Dr." John Gray. Ex-wife Barbara Angelis also got the same degree.

I asked friends to type John Gray's "university" and a few were found. I emailed the infor and they forwared to HR. Most got fired. Different story in the federal government. They don't care. Be careful when you ask a new Ph.D. person his dissertation topic. Half the time, they're either ABD or none. They have friends in the FBI and DSS.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #51 - Feb 12th, 2003 at 12:59pm
PROAc,

None of the the individuals named on the American Polygraph Association web page you referenced are current APA officers (as your post implies). Note that they are merely listed as the authors of publications available from the APA.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Guest

Reply #52 - Feb 28th, 2003 at 12:46am
Roll Eyes

Let's get real here guys. If I was Ed Gelb, I would not give you the time of day. You all sound like a bunch of housewives sitting around talking about the neighbors. 

There are people who are a hell of a lot smarter than you within the scientific and legal community who have looked in to Gelb's credentials. Don't you think that if he was a fake we would have heard it long ago?

George, you really need to get a life. By the way, have you found a job yet? Why not post your credentials on YOUR web site?

Beeched Batman

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #53 - Feb 28th, 2003 at 1:01am

If I had PHD credentials, I would be so proud that I probably would post a copy on the nearest power pole. I certainly would present that skin to any and all who asked. Hell, I even try to do that with my BS (as in science) sheep skin. I damn near starved to death getting that first degree.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Skeptic
God Member

Reply #54 - Feb 28th, 2003 at 1:24am
Quote:

Roll Eyes

Let's get real here guys. If I was Ed Gelb, I would not give you the time of day. You all sound like a bunch of housewives sitting around talking about the neighbors. 

There are people who are a hell of a lot smarter than you within the scientific and legal community who have looked in to Gelb's credentials. Don't you think that if he was a fake we would have heard it long ago?

It has been noted before we discovered the discrepancy.

Quote:
George, you really need to get a life. By the way, have you found a job yet? Why not post your credentials on YOUR web site?

Nice dodge.  The fact is it is Edward Gelb who is claiming a Ph.D. from a specific source that has been revealed to be a diploma mill.  If and when George claims a Ph.D., you'd be welcome to look him up.  You might start with the Dissertations Abstracts, the definitive listing of Ph.D. dissertations -- which, as has been noted, contains no reference for an Edward Gelb.

And as Twoblock has noted, a Ph.D. isn't something most people are afraid of revealing; either he has one or he hasn't.

I don't blame you for your desperate (pathetic?) attempt to deflect criticism, though.  It would certainly be damaging for your snake-oil profession to be associated so strongly with a fake.

Skeptic

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Nobody

Re: Intercept/Ed Gelb in LA--UPDATE
Reply #55 - Mar 7th, 2003 at 6:01am
Quote:
Also, if the original poster could please reply with their experience at his office I'd appreciate it.

Sorry for the delay. Partly to CMA; partly because I've been busy. This is a slightly cleaned-up version of my post-interrogation notes. If you have specific questions, I'll try to answer them as I can. I'd also appreciate any comments or clarifications of my own confusion. Thanks.

The office is in an older building on the north side of Wilshire Blvd, 3rd floor (cost me almost 10 bucks for parking!). On the outer office doors, in big gold letters, is “Edward I. Gelb, PhD,” along with “Dee H----” There are marks where another name was removed.

Office was nondescript, clean; polite, middle-aged female receptionist in front. Gelb’s office door was closed and remained so the entire time (never saw him). The receptionist had me read a short paper about polygraphy, then wait. Took me into a cramped conference room with multiple cassette recorders (not being used) to fill out more paperwork—employment for 10 years, agencies applied to, drug use/purchase, vehicle citations/accidents. Then a 150-question test to be answered “+” or “–”: “Do you intend to be truthful? Have you ever paid for sex?” etc. (I believe these were the basis for poly questions.) Turned the forms in, then sat and waited in reception area. 

A formidable, early-forties man came out wearing a white shirt and tie, introduced himself as Darrin Hayes, and took me into his office. Looked like a detective.

On his wall:
Diploma from Backster, April 2002 (Darrin C. Hayes)
Two diplomas from The Reid Technique of Interviewing and Interrogation® (2001?) (see http://www.reid.com/)

Had me read and sign another form about poly that also stated, “CA state law says that an employer cannot legally force you to take a polygraph interview.” (But does that apply to law enforcement? I didn’t want to ask, so I signed it.) He told me to hang my jacket on the rack in the room, then left me for a while. I sat there looking bored, but I did look around for signs of surveillance equipment (like clocks with little lenses, for example), and spotted nothing. I noticed that there was a space heater on in the office, under his desk; the office was almost uncomfortably warm. When he returned, he told me a little (very little) about himself, mentioning that he’d “been doing this for 17 years.” (But he just got his diplomas recently?)

Asked if I knew anything about poly; I played dumb (mentioned “Meet the Parents,” Jerry Springer). He said “That’s Hollywood,” that with the new computer program (3 months old) from “John” Hopkins University, properly calibrated, they could get up to 98% accuracy. Went over all the questions, but what threw me was that they were all in the form of “Are you withholding information about…?” Which I wasn’t expecting, and which made it harder for me to decide which were controls.

He asked if I wanted to use restroom or get water; I asked for water. He left the room to get it; had me sit in the exam chair as he left. The chair had no visible wires, so I assumed no pressure sensors, facing a blank white wall. Sat there for a while, not moving. Hayes came back with water, left again. Came back, explained all the attachments to me, cautioned me that "part of the test is being able to follow instructions." Hooked me up. I kept my breathing even, but shallow.

Did a “calibration”: “Is your name XXXX? Do you live in California? Are you withholding any secret reason for applying to this agency? What’s x times y plus z?” (I puckered at this point.) He said he got a “very clean, crisp reading.” Then “The test is about to begin, do not move during the exam.” (Said this preceding both charts.)

What I remember:
“Is your first name XXXX?”
“Are you withholding information about having lied to anyone you love and trust?” 
“Are you withholding information about having lied to a family member?” 
“Are you withholding information about your reasons for seeking employment with this agency?” 
“Are you withholding information about having committed a serious crime?”
…past drug use?
…illegal sexual activity?

Finished the first chart, then said we’d do another one, with same questions in different order. Also that he might repeat questions, which he did (serious crimes). Announced end of test, unhooked me and had me sit in the chair beside his desk.

Post-test:
Told me that the “only cause for concern” was “Are you withholding information about having committed a serious crime?” He asked it twice in the second exam and said that I “reacted” more strongly each time (if it had been weaker, it wouldn’t have been a concern, he said). According to him, I had reacted "3 times higher" the last time he asked it than on the calibration question. He highlighted the score on the paper the printer spat out (not a chart, but what looked like a summary of scores) and then marked it with a red arrow. (That devious bastard—he made me violate page 80-81.) I did not see a chart. Didn’t ask for one. 

He asked why I would have had a reaction to that question. I recall being asked the second time (first time in second exam) and reacting somewhat. I think I was half puckering randomly, spacing out. I wondered what “serious” crimes were… I told him I sort of panicked in the second instance, because I wasn’t sure what he meant by “serious” (he reviewed: murder, arson, rape, assault, etc.). Finally, I gave up having started a fire at 3 (caught) and 6 or 7 (not caught). He said that he didn’t know what my reaction was about, he wasn’t going to ask, but that it would be up to my agency to make the decision. He would “e-mail the charts and send the disk” to the agency, have “Dr.” Gelb review my charts, and also send them to “John” Hopkins for review.

So I guess I was sort of inconclusive (although he never really said one way or the other—I think it was just a fishing expedition), and I made the mistake of giving him something, but overall I controlled myself better than I expected. Just tried to maintain the breathing (at one point I took a deeper breath and he cautioned against it, that it would “work against” me) and pucker when necessary (as it turned out, I wasn’t exactly sure when)—I should have reacted more to the “lying to a loved one question.” (Just sort of tough trying to decipher which were the control questions, although I’m sure that wasn’t one of them!) 

Now it’s up to the agency. If they try to DQ me for it, I’ll demand a retest or challenge it. In any case, it's been weeks and I have heard nothing either way.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #56 - May 18th, 2003 at 6:36pm
AntiPolygraph.org has received  through anonymous remailers three e-mail messages regarding "Dr." Gelb. These messages suggest that Edward I. Gelb has indeed represented himself to the court as being a Ph.D. psychologist:

Message One:

Quote:
National Jury Verdict Review  Analysis
SCOTT T. COXON, ET AL. vs. PEPSICO A/K/A PEPSI COLA, ET AL.
Case No. 687812
Verdict Date: Verdict Date: July 22, 1996
Publication Date: Publication Date: October, 1996
Topic: Non-suit - False imprisonment - Emotional distress - Three employees claimed they were falsely imprisoned by employer during questioning regarding employee theft
Title: False Imprisonment
State: California
County: San Diego County
Judge: Judge Wayne Peterson
Plaintiff Attorney: Paul S. Kennerly of San Diego
Defendant Attorney: Clark R. Hudson of Neil, Dymott, Perkins, Brown  Frank in San Diego (for defendant investigative group) Miles D. Scully of Gordon  Rees in San Diego and Steven R. Parminter of Wilson, Elser, Moskowitz, Edelman  Dicker in Los Angeles (for defendant Pepsico)

Plaintiff Cause: Three plaintiffs brought this action alleging that they were falsely imprisoned during their employers investigation of employee theft and moonlighting issues. The plaintiffs, who were eventually terminated, claimed wage loss, loss of reputation and emotional distress damages.

The defendant employer (Pepsico) hired the co-defendant investigator to investigate allegations of employee theft and moonlighting. All three plaintiffs were eventually terminated, but claimed that their confessions to theft were coerced and that they were not permitted to leave the room or to seek union representation.

Defendant Contentions: The defendants denied the plaintiffs claims, maintaining that the questioning was appropriate and that the confessions were not coerced.

The Court granted summary judgment as to the claims of two of the three plaintiffs. The third plaintiffs claims proceeded to trial at which a non-suit was granted.

Defendant Experts: Defendants security expert: Edward I. Gelb, C.P.E., A.C.P., Ph.D. from Los Angeles

Issue: Published in Volume 11, Issue 10

Message Two:

Quote:
SCOTT T. COXON ET AL. v. PEPSICO, INC. AKA PEPSI-COLA AKA PEPSI (PEPSI) CHANNEL ISLAND BEVERAGE CO. (CIB) AND PALOMAR INVESTIGATIVE GROUP, INC. ET AL.

Case No. 687812

July 22, 1996

TOPIC: FALSE IMPRISONMENT

RESULT: NONSUIT

INJURY: Plaintiff claimed emotional distress and loss of reputation as a result of defendants conduct.

SPECIALS: Not reported.

STATE: California

COURT: San Diego County Superior Court

JUDGE: Hon. Wayne L. Peterson

PLAINTIFF COUNSEL: Paul S. Kennerly, San Diego

DEFENDANT COUNSEL: Wilson, Elser, Moskowitz, Edelman  Dicker, Los Angeles, by Steven R. Parminter--for Pepsico, CIB and Anthony S. Fogel Neil, Dymott, Perkins, Brown  Frank, San Diego, by Clark R. Hudson--for Palomar Gordon  Rees, San Diego, by Miles D. Scully--for Jack H. Suttie

SUMMARY: In April of 1994, plaintiffs Scott T. Coxon, a refrigeration technician, Michael T. Morishige, and Robert A. Cocita, both service technicians, all in their mid 40s and all employed by defendant Pepsi, claimed that they were falsely imprisoned during an investigation of employee theft, moonlighting, and conflict of interest issues.

Defendants Palomar Investigative Group and Jack Suttie were hired to investigate the allegations. As a result of the investigation, the employment of all three plaintiffs was terminated.

Defendant CID was the local distributor, and defendant Anthony S. Fogel was CIDs human resources manager.

Summary judgment was granted as to the claims of Coxon and Morishige.

Plaintiff contended that he was not permitted to leave the room during the investigation that he was not allowed to seek union representation and that his confession was coerced.

Defendants contended that the investigation was reasonable and that their subsequent actions were based on the admissions made by plaintiff.

Five-day trial.

D-EXPERTS: Edward I. Gelb, Ph.D. (Psychologist) Los Angeles

POST TRIAL MOTION: Motion for new trial not made.

SETTLEMENT TALKS: Demand $800,000 C.C.P. 998, reduced to $500,000, further reduced to $300,000 for all three plaintiffs before the motions for summary judgment were granted. Demand $500,000 by plaintiff Cocita before trial. Offer $2,051 to each plaintiff, C.C.P. 998, by defendant Suttie.

ISSUE: VOLUME 41, NUMBER 2

Message Three:

Quote:
Trials Digest Logo

Expert Witnesses - "G"

Trials Digest has trial reports and/or deposition transcripts of the following experts. Find out if we have information on the expert you are opposing or thinking of retaining. Even if you do not see the experts name, give us a call at 800-365-0379. We add hundreds of experts to our databases each month.

Gelb, Edward - Forensic Psychophysiologist

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mark Mallah
Very Senior User

Reply #57 - May 30th, 2003 at 12:24am
I'll be in court tomorrow in San Francisco.  I'll take a look at that case where Dr.?/Mr.? Gelb reportedly signed a declaration as to his credentials.

Stay tuned.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mark Mallah
Very Senior User

Reply #58 - May 30th, 2003 at 11:40pm
OK, I just got back from court and reviewed the file where Gelb filed two declarations--the original, and then a supplemental declaration.  I did not have much time to read his declarations (I had to attend a hearing), but I visually scanned them.  The first declaration appeared to be his polygraph report of one of the parties, and the supplemental declaration contained boilerplate pronouncements about the polygraph's awesome diagnostic capabilities.

I found his resume and copied it.  It is in front of me now.  Here is a summary of it:

The header in the uppper left corner says "INTERCEPT, INC."  The right hand header contains his address and contact information.

The name is listed as "EDWARD I. GELB, Ph.D., A.C.P., A.C.F.E."

Under "summary of qualifications", it states: "Forensic Psychophysiologist."

The resume is all narrative, 5 paragraphs long.  Here is his only statement about his education (excluding polygraph schools):

"Dr. Gelb was educated at the University of Southern California, LaSalle University and U.C.L.A.  He has been awarded a bachelor's degree in political science, a master's degree in psychology and a doctorate in psychology."

This strikes me as obfuscation.  He never says where he earned which degree, or when he earned it.  Neither does he say where Lasalle University is.  Are we to presume that he lists the universities in an order corresponding with the order in which he lists his degrees?  In other words, did he receive his BA at USC, his masters at LaSalle, and his doctorate at U.C.L.A.?

I don't want to get too picayune, but if this were Bill Clinton's resume, I would note that in the first sentence he says he was "educated " at USC, Lasalle, and UCLA, but he does not say he earned his degrees there.  He states in a separate, disconnected, sentence, that he has been awarded a bachelor's degree, master's, and doctorate.  But from where?  What kind of relationship, if any, do the two sentences have to each other?

Most of the resume talks about his memberships, where he has taught, awards, and the institutions for whom he conducts polygraphs.

That's about enough parsing for now.  George, let me know if if you want me to mail you a copy of his resume for you to scan.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #59 - May 31st, 2003 at 2:33pm
Mark,

If Ed Gelb had earned a doctoral degree from either USC or UCLA, his dissertation would be included in the Dissertation Abstracts database.

I think we can safely say at this point that "Dr." Ed Gelb has been exposed as a phony Ph.D.

Please do mail me a copy of his resume! I'll scan it and put it on-line. It should be of great interest to anyone who might consider hiring the "doctor's" services, and to any lawyers who might question him on cross-examination. Smiley
« Last Edit: May 31st, 2003 at 5:37pm by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Intercept/Ed Gelb in LA--any experience?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X