Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Thanks to TLBTLD, I PASSED!!! (Read 33807 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Re: Thanks to TLBTLD, I PASSED!!!
Reply #60 - Jan 16th, 2003 at 8:02am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Quote:

...My theory is. "If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about." And if you have a strong feeling against  polygraphs then you have the right to refuse to take it. I know the examiner is there to make you out to be a liar! but if you lie to pass it then your still a liar!....

You might want to read the literature on polygraphs. The most common test (CQT) expects you to lie (to the controle question, not the relevant question) in order to pass. There are tests "that" don't expect you to lie, but they are less common.  The reason is that if they can get you to lie about something they make you believe is important but isn't, it is easier to calibrate the relevant questions and the more likely a deceptive response to a relevant question will produce larger responses.

I just don't like the "small detail" that the polygraphs works best on people who lie about the smaller things.

Liars are liars. Sadly, many polygraphers are as well. If you are not one, you are at a disadvantage.

-Marty

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Guest_65

Reply #61 - Jan 16th, 2003 at 8:31am
Marty, I agree with you, And I'm not here to get into a pissing contest with anyone. I have found that the polygraph examiners are the most common liar in the room! But I have also found that there is not an equal ground. I came to this site in search of answers (having never been through this before). Aside from all the technical jargon, I was screwed for telling the truth... And it seems that everyone here wants to prove how smart they are. Or Contest anothers wits... Screw all that! it's not worth my time. I didnt come to learn to pass the test. or to learn all the tech BS that goes along with it or to learn that so-in-so is smarter than XYZ... LEt's get to the point guys. LIE DETECTORS ARE A LIE! in my opinion. If a person has to lie to pass, and an examiner has to lie to get you to lie then what good are they??? Next the thing that dissapoints me the most is hearing about potential police officers lying to pass. If you feel you have something to lie about dont take the test... And if you do lie, you dont need to be in that capacity! thank you Marty for your input, but I really just wanted to know why I told the truth and was told I was lying...Thanks Again.
1 last thing,  I WILL NEVER TAKE ANOTHER ONE!!!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Guest_65

Reply #62 - Jan 16th, 2003 at 8:37am
Marty, I'm sorry for not knowing all there is to know about this subject, But I never really found a need to know it before... But what I do know is, "I should never have to lie to prove i'm telling the ttruth!"

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Reply #63 - Jan 16th, 2003 at 9:14am
Quote:

Marty, I'm sorry for not knowing all there is to know about this subject, But I never really found a need to know it before... But what I do know is, "I should never have to lie to prove i'm telling the ttruth!"

Man! I can relate to that!  First, don't feel bad for the polygraphers. For the most part they do the best they can. The problem here is that there is so much variability in the way people respond to questions that what the polygraphers have come up with is an odd sort of compromise.

They basically try to get you to not only lie about something unimportant, but feel bad about it. The presumption is that your response to this lie will give them an idea about whether you are lying about what they are really testing for. That may be whether a person has murdered a girl, or it may be whether someone has smoked more pot than they think reasonable. (kinda hard to believe the response would be similar!)

So what it comes down to is that polygraphers utilize a certain amount of deception in order to elicit and determine the truth of what an examinee says.  It's imperfect. error prone, sometimes degrading, but it actually seems to work to some degree.  However, in working, it sometimes is the most inaccurate with a trully honest persons such as you appear to be.

Don't feel bad. For some bizarre reasons this has captured my attention. I am an EE with some interest in the technologies involved and also some desire to see the polygraph used resposnisbly - or not at all.  I really hate to see the innocent pilloried and the polygraph has a certain propensity to do so even though I believe it has some value for specific incident testing.

-Marty

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Thanks to TLBTLD, I PASSED!!!

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X