Normal Topic COUNTERMEASURE Help!! (Read 3320 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Bill

COUNTERMEASURE Help!!
Dec 3rd, 2002 at 12:59am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I have a poly coming up soon and I need to know how exactly to use the measures.  I have been polyed before, but was accused of using "control measures".  Does one bite the side of tip of the tongue?  Are these control questions: Did you lie about DWI experience??  DId you tell me at least one lie today??  I read the book, but still am unclear.  Please Help!!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: COUNTERMEASURE Help!!
Reply #1 - Dec 3rd, 2002 at 1:19am
Bill,

When applying the tongue bite as a countermeasure, one should bite one side of one's tongue. This is more easily concealed than biting the tip of the tongue.

In pre-employment polygraph examinations, some federal agencies (such as the FBI) commonly use a question about driving under the influence of alcohol as a probable-lie "control" question. However, it is conceivable that some agencies might consider this to be a relevant question. You'll have to make a judgement when the question appears in context.

I suspect that instead of "Did you tell me at least one lie today?" you are more likely to hear something along the lines of, "Have you falsely answered any of the questions on the test?" or words to that effect. This question is commonly used as a sacrifice relevant question in probable-lie "control" question "tests."

For more on recognizing "control" questions, review Chapters 3 & 4 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Guest

Reply #2 - Dec 3rd, 2002 at 4:38am
My dear Bill, make sure you do exactly as Mr. Maschke says and also make sure that when you get discovered practicing countermeasures (and you will), clearly articulate to the agent to whom you will speak what prompted you to do this so that you will understand that you failed in your quest to get the job you wanted not because of some youthful indescretion, rather because you demonstrated an incredible lack of ethics by lying and attempting to deceive the examiner through a deliberate act.  You also might want to make sure that any attorney you subsequently hire knows that GM and this web site played an integral role in causing you to lose your opportunity.  Here's hoping you do not take this route! Shame on you George!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anonymous

Reply #3 - Dec 3rd, 2002 at 5:13am
Guest,

You write:

Quote:
...attempting to deceive the examiner through a deliberate act...

You seem to ignore the possibility that Bill may be innocent and simply wanting to ensure a correct result "through a deliberate act."  Particularly if he is subject to some sort of screening exam, you and your colleagues can't guarantee him a correct result (no validity associated with polygraph screening, remember??) absent his countermeasure efforts.

Bill,

Only YOU can reveal a countermeasure effort on your part.  Neither Guest nor any polygrapher can identify them.  Because they are so relatively simple to do successfully (i.e., effectively and without detection) and as knowledge regarding their use becomes more widespread, polygraphers are left with no recourse but to blindly accuse larger and larger numbers of people regarding their use.  Remember, don't be your own worst enemy--NEVER NEVER admit to any countermeasure use you might choose to employ.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Reply #4 - Dec 3rd, 2002 at 5:17am

Quote:

My dear Bill, make sure you do exactly as Mr. Maschke says and also make sure that when you get discovered practicing countermeasures (and you will), clearly articulate to the agent to whom you will speak what prompted you to do this so that you will understand that you failed in your quest to get the job you wanted not because of some youthful indescretion, rather because you demonstrated an incredible lack of ethics by lying and attempting to deceive the examiner through a deliberate act.  You also might want to make sure that any attorney you subsequently hire knows that GM and this web site played an integral role in causing you to lose your opportunity.  Here's hoping you do not take this route! Shame on you George!

Dear Guest,
I was absolutely ignorant of countermeasures or this website during two polygraphs.  I told the complete truth on both exams.  My first one was inconclusive and the second one I was accused of countermeasures.  I thought it was some type of "psychological stress test" to see if I would snap-out on the examiner.  The examiner was either bluffing or dead wrong in my case.  If the examiner was so sure that I was using countermeasures, why even accuse me of doing them?  Just wait till the end of the test, shake hands good bye and fail me by using the scientific measures that he has.  They need to accuse and get a confession because there is no sure fire way to prove it is countermeasures.  In my case again, the examiner was convinced that I was using them but I have appealed the decision and I am getting a third exam.  If they were that absolutely sure, why offer me another exam if they can prove that I was using countermeasures? 

I will not be using countermeasures during my third exam.  I will let them know what I now know about the polygraph and see how they handle the situation.  If you read my previous post and background in those post, it will be quite embarassing to fail me without an investigation (background check) concerning their accusations.

Regards.

IP Logged

COUNTERMEASURE Help!!

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X