Normal Topic Opinion/Input please! (Read 3336 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box mrhat
New User

Opinion/Input please!
Nov 22nd, 2002 at 3:39am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hello everyone, there’s two reasons I’m interested in the polygraph machine, one is I’m writing a paper on capital punishment, I’ll most likely be discussing the Polly through out my term paper. But more importantly I’m currently applying for law enforcement, I’ve read allot of horror stories here, and heard some from people that are also in the hiring process at the LE dept I’ve chosen to apply at. So far the polly seems quite subjective and unreliable, after all someone is looking at random lines on a peace of paper to determine your future, be a new job or a jail sentence. I would very much like to not be subjected to a polly, I would much prefer a competent back ground investigation. Can anyone tell me what depts In CA use polly tests, or rather which depts. Don’t. I heard that LASD integrates you about sexual preferences for half of their polly! What’s with that? I know LAPD has a polly, can anyone tell me what it covers, I’ll settle for a polly if I must regarding my background, but I will not take one that is touching on religion, sexual prefaces, and that sort. I have nothing to hide but I feel that that’s a violation of my rights, and none of their business. furthermore if anyone has any links regarding the polly and capital punishment, I’d really like to give them a look over.

thanks!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Re: Opinion/Input please!
Reply #1 - Nov 22nd, 2002 at 4:58am

mrhat wrote on Nov 22nd, 2002 at 3:39am:

Hello everyone, there’s two reasons I’m interested in the polygraph machine, one is I’m writing a paper on capital punishment, I’ll most likely be discussing the Polly through out my term paper. But more importantly I’m currently applying for law enforcement, I’ve read allot of horror stories here, and heard some from people that are also in the hiring process at the LE dept I’ve chosen to apply at. So far the polly seems quite subjective and unreliable, after all someone is looking at random lines on a peace of paper to determine your future, be a new job or a jail sentence. I would very much like to not be subjected to a polly, I would much prefer a competent back ground investigation. Can anyone tell me what depts In CA use polly tests, or rather which depts. Don’t. I heard that LASD integrates you about sexual preferences for half of their polly! What’s with that? I know LAPD has a polly, can anyone tell me what it covers, I’ll settle for a polly if I must regarding my background, but I will not take one that is touching on religion, sexual prefaces, and that sort. I have nothing to hide but I feel that that’s a violation of my rights, and none of their business. furthermore if anyone has any links regarding the polly and capital punishment, I’d really like to give them a look over.

thanks!

Dear mrhat,

Boy, have you come to the right place to see just about every opinion there is about the polygraph.  When you get done of reading the thousands of postings here, download "The Lie Behind the Lie Detector" (FREE!).  If you still have any time left over, read the NAS report made public October 8, 2002, (available through a link on the homepage).  When you figure it all out, try and explain it to me because I am still trying.

Interesting thing about capital punishment, my college roomate did a paper on it over twenty years ago starting as a proponent of capital punishment.  When he finished his research, it was easier to defend an opponent's point of view.  Most capital punishment crimes are done under circumstances of extreme emotion and thus in most circumstances it is not a deterrent (one of the most touted reason for having it).

Good luck with your research.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #2 - Nov 22nd, 2002 at 8:28am
Yeah, thanks man. However I’m quite curious about what agencies polly, and what format LAPD and CHP use for their polly. If anyone knows pls fill me in.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Nov 22nd, 2002 at 9:56am
mrhat,

LAPD and LASD use a probable-lie "control" question "test." To the best of my knowledge, CHP requires applicants to pass a Computer Voice Stress Analysis (CVSA) "test." (For discussion of CVSA, see the CVSA forum on this message board.)

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Public Servant
Very Senior User

Reply #4 - Nov 22nd, 2002 at 11:59am
mrhat,

In reference to: Quote:
I’ll settle for a polly if I must regarding my background, but I will not take one that is touching on religion, sexual prefaces, and that sort.

If religious or sexual preferences are the subject of your background investigation for state or local LE, by whatever means, then it is a violation of your rights.  However, these topics are unlikely to arise in the hiring process for a PD.  And, I think you would agree that it is fair for the hiring agency to want to know if you have been involved in criminal behavior or traitorous acts, just to ensure your desire is to work on the right side of the law.  Just remember that INTEGRITY is the most important trait a law enforcement officer can have and you'll be fine.   

Good luck and may I suggest posting a copy (or excerpts) of the paper here.  Sounds like it will be interesting and perhaps relevant to the topics discussed here.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #5 - Nov 23rd, 2002 at 12:33am
Thanks for the input everyone. By any chance does anyone know what major depts in CA don’t use a poll or CVSA?

IP Logged

Opinion/Input please!

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X