Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Practice On A Polygraph Exam? (Read 8413 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box johnanon
New User

Practice On A Polygraph Exam?
Nov 30th, 2002 at 12:33am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hi I am curios if anyone Knows of a "for hire site"
to go to and practice on a polygraph exam.

I am currently interested in joining a police department
that requires a polygraph. I am of good moral character
but my past has some drug history that I believe will
bar me, even more is the fact that I have already applied
to the NYPD and stated that I have had no past drug history.
NYPD is in the process of hiring me but I would rather have
the other high paying police job. If I decide to tell the second
agency the truth about my history they might see that my
answers with NYPD dont jive and inform NYPD of the situation
for which I might not receive an invitation to either possition.
Thanks

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polylawman

Re: Practice On A Polygraph Exam?
Reply #1 - Nov 30th, 2002 at 1:57am
Try what george says in his book and see what happens.
After you get caught using these countermeasures come back to this site and tell us what happened. Grin and then you can thank grorge.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Reply #2 - Nov 30th, 2002 at 3:18am
johnanon wrote on Nov 30th, 2002 at 12:33am:

I am of good moral character
the other high paying police job. If I decide to tell the second
agency the truth about my history they might see that my
answers with NYPD dont jive and inform NYPD of the situation
for which I might not receive an invitation to either possition.

Well, by starting off making your own decisions about what "good moral character" is, you are going down a dangerous path. I don't relish the idea that lots of LE personel started off their career lying. I think the polygraph is one step removed from voodoo but each hiring agency has the right to set their own standards and it is reasonable for them to ask you not to lie if you don't meet them.

I hope you don't choose to lie for personal gain.

-Marty

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #3 - Dec 2nd, 2002 at 5:31am
Thanks MARTY I'll do just that, your a genius! Roll Eyes

IP Logged

New User

Reply #4 - Dec 2nd, 2002 at 5:33am
Sorry Marty it wasnt you who was the jackass it was polylawman!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polylawman

Reply #5 - Dec 2nd, 2002 at 7:49am
AWWWWWWWWWWW   Did I get you angry? 
You must be another malcontent that "Never Inhaled" and wasn't good enough to get a real job. Don't blame your shortcomings on anyone but yourself.
The truth hurts. Dosn't it?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Skeptic
God Member

Reply #6 - Dec 2nd, 2002 at 8:03am

Quote:

AWWWWWWWWWWW   Did I get you angry? 
You must be another malcontent that "Never Inhaled" and wasn't good enough to get a real job. Don't blame your shortcomings on anyone but yourself.
The truth hurts. Dosn't it?

Another polygrapher demonstrates what a polygraph subject may be in for in agreeing to take a polygraph.  Imagine if the above person, with his or her obvious cynicism, disdain for logic, and subjective inability to sympathize with others were to be the polygrapher in your upcoming test.  Imagine further that there will be no video or audio recording of the session -- he or she is free to claim you said anything he or she pleases.

The use of this subjective, fallible test of "truth" should be abolished, period.

Skeptic

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Reply #7 - Dec 2nd, 2002 at 3:04pm

johnanon wrote on Nov 30th, 2002 at 12:33am:

I am currently interested in joining a police department
that requires a polygraph. I am of good moral character
the other high paying police job.

Dear johnanon,

You are dancing around the devil on this one.  You are within drug guidelines or you are not. The statement that you believe your drug history will bar you is a good indicator that you should rethink your decision.  If money is your main motivator to get into law enforcement, you will have a very frustrating and possibly corrupt career.  Law enforcement exposes you to the most negative aspects of life and the "Dark Side" can lure you into a direction which is impossible to recover from (especially if money is your motivator).

Sit down and think long and hard about this one.

Regards.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #8 - Dec 2nd, 2002 at 5:40pm
Thanks Fair Chance, I've actually already have been involved
in LE for a few years as an auxiliary P.O. and after getting a degree in computer science  and working in that field for a little over 2 years I've decided that LE is what I would like to 
do. So I have thought quite a bit, but who knows how things will go. 

And PolyLawMan whats is your f'n problem what mommy and daddy didnt give you enough love... Smiley

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box stopnik
New User

Reply #9 - Dec 16th, 2002 at 7:09pm
Valid question...I cannot find any place to practice. You will run into some strange people on this website. I personally smoked dope with several NYC cops/firemen - whose remains are still scattered at the WTC. Cops - admittedly before they were hired by NYPD -- firemen, still "on the job." 

I would take my NYPD job and run -- why mess it up with a poly? You will find some strange people on this site -- they have a parochial school mentality where there is black, white, and no shades of grey. They are easy to anger because they probably have the most to hide. 

I took a poly once 12 years ago -- and failed miserably although I told the truth! The process is flawed -- whether you are lying or not. So why risk countermeasures, etc, if you can take the NYPD job and have a good life.

"Not one single 9-11 'Hero' ever, ever took a polygraph exam to get their job...what's wrong with this system?"

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box WRT55
New User

Reply #10 - Dec 16th, 2002 at 10:22pm
I dislike polygraph examinations.  I haven't found them to be accurate indicators of anything.  Having said that, I too have a problem with you wanting to start off your police career by lying about your background.  You can likely beat the exam and get hired because police agencies use the polygraph exam as the cheapest way to screen candidates.

Sadly, your drug usage indicates choices that I would not wish to see wearing a badge and uniform.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #11 - Dec 17th, 2002 at 4:38pm
One other thing to consider that is quite laughable. I come from a firefighting background (then went to college and shifted career gears). While you will see many "holier than thou posts" (i.e.: read Parochial School Mentality) proclaiming the evils of smoking weed -- LE is literally plauged with drinkers. Heavy,heavy drinkers. People who often say, " I won't touch drugs but man I really love to get drunk." Stop by any police watering-hole and you will consistently see inebriated cops getting behind the wheel. Ever read about them getting busted at DUI check-points? I have personally pulled drunk cops from wrecked cars and watched them being let off with a wink and nudge.

My advice -- lie, pass the test, move on with your live (while keeping your trap securely shut), and for heavens sake -- don't ever do drugs (or even drink that heavily) ever again. Who the heck hasn't started a career off with some degree of a lie. Be realistic -- but then again, be smart, and hold up the integrity of the profession you are choosing once you are in the fold.

"Not one single 9-11 'Hero' ever, ever took a polygraph exam to get their job...what's wrong with this system?"

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Twoblock
God Member

Reply #12 - Dec 17th, 2002 at 5:23pm
Stopnik

You are right on the mark. Even though I condem both uses while driving, there are many, many more vehicle accidents due to spirits than there ever will be from the weed. And cops driving drunk is doubly bad because they are supposed to be setting an example even when offduty. And yes, there are far too many who do this and get by with it when caught. I continually see uniformed officers breaking traffic laws, speeding, running stop signs, etc., WITHOUT emergency lights or sound in effect. That doesn't influence me to do the same thing but it certainly could influence a youngster.

I wonder how many LE officers could pass a polygraph after 5 years on the force?

No, I am not against LE as some here may want to imply. I just believe they should have to abide by the same laws as the rest of us.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #13 - Dec 17th, 2002 at 7:03pm
Thank you. In fact, when some of the knuckleheads get on their high and mighty horses and start lecturing about LE integrity, I think they need to wake-up. I kid you not -- I continually heard (when I was with the FD) LEO say with a totally straight face, "I never did drugs but man I always got sh*t faced!"

And forget about the double standards of driving while on duty. I am talking about the fact that policemen and firemen are some of the heaviest drinkers -- and they are not afraid to get behind the wheel. I personally know quite a few FDNY guys who routinely got drunk at work (beer cans in the soda machine routine). I've been on fire trucks that we had to stop on a run because the driver was too drunk to continue. I got so burned up everytime I saw one of them get into an accident and then walk away because of the "Blue Wall/Red Wall" of covering each other's back. 

The polygraph is stupid, useless, and humiliating. But then again - maybe I shouldn't complain. Rather than take a job with the CIA 12 years ago, I am doing quite nicely in private industry. BUT I AM TIRED OF HEARING THE SAME STUPID PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT LEO AND INTEGRITY! They are human beings -- but less accountable because they are always covering for each other.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #14 - Dec 17th, 2002 at 7:06pm
And before anyone asks why I am on this board. I am contemplating getting a LE job. I want to give back to the community, blah, blah, blah -- plus you can't beat the benefits. I plan to lie my a** off on the polygraph (did I do weed 17 times versus 30? Who the heck knows!). But I am highly educated, bilingual, and haven't touched dope in 10 years. So who cares what I did in the past as long as it doesn't show up officially.

George -- you have a wonderful site. Keep up the good work.

IP Logged

Practice On A Polygraph Exam?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X