Normal Topic Baseball and Polygraph (Read 1402 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Bambleneck

Baseball and Polygraph
Dec 23rd, 2002 at 2:30am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Just thought I would post this observation, based on the “Dowd Report;” the legendary report in the Pete-Rose-bet-on-baseball scandal which has barred him from being inducted into the baseball hall of fame.  Seems results depends on the bias of polygraph examiner, not the exam.  I wonder who the “foremost polygrapher in the United States” issuing the exam was?  

Polygraph, as American as baseball. What a thought.

“Paul Janszen and Danita Marcum voluntarily submitted to polygraph examinations on the question of whether they placed bets on the Cincinnati Reds and baseball for Pete Rose. Danita Marcum passed the examination. In the opinion of the examiner, Paul Janszen failed the examination.
However, we have been advised that Janszen showed deception in response to a question irrelevant to his betting for Pete Rose on baseball. In the opinion of the examiner conducting that examination, deception as to one question in a polygraph examination leads to only one conclusion, i.e., the witness has been deceptive.
We subsequently learned that disagreements had occurred between Janszen and the examiner during the examination which upset Janszen. In addition, in view of the fact that Marcum had passed the examination and that the investigation had had developed other significant corroboration of Janszen's testimony; and because Janszen volunteered to undergo another examination, we employed one of the foremost polygraphers in the United States to conduct an examination of Janszen. Janszen submitted to polygraph examinations on two consecutive days and was asked the following questions:
1. In '87, did Pete Rose use you as a middleman to place major league baseball bets?
2. In '87, did you place major league baseball bets for Pete Rose with Ron Peters?
3. In '87, did Pete Rose place bets with you as the middleman on the Cincinnati Reds to win?
4. Besides on the 1987 All-Star game, was Pete Rose wagering $2,000 per game with you?
On both days, Paul Janszen passed the examination and showed no deception.”
http://www.baseball1.com/bb-data/rose/dowd/dowd_iiic2.html

IP Logged

Baseball and Polygraph

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X