Normal Topic Bad drug history (Read 8466 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Wannabcop
New User

Bad drug history
Oct 31st, 2002 at 8:10pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I am in college finishing up my last semester.  I want to become a police officer, but I have a history with drug experimentation.  I never used the drugs for a long period of time, I only tried them.  The only thing is, I tried a hard drug in July of this year.  I only did it once, but I still did it.  That was the last drug that I took.  I know most departments require you to be clean from hard drugs for 5 years.  My question is, would it be a waste of time to apply to be a police officer or not?  I was going to download the 'book' that everyone talks about, so hopefully that will help.  I just dont want my past to screw me.  Undecided

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Re: Bad drug history
Reply #1 - Oct 31st, 2002 at 8:18pm
If the hiring agency has requirements to be drug free for five years than you should wait four more years so you can honestly say that you meet their requirements.  Use this time well and increase your knowledge in life working for companies that would enhance your life experiences.  Four years of a lifetime is not long to wait for the job of your dreams.

Please treat your application as if you were not taking the polygraph.  You have the obligation to meet all employment requirements.

Regards

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Skeptic
God Member

Reply #2 - Oct 31st, 2002 at 9:04pm

Quote:

If the hiring agency has requirements to be drug free for five years than you should wait four more years so you can honestly say that you meet their requirements.  Use this time well and increase your knowledge in life working for companies that would enhance your life experiences.  Four years of a lifetime is not long to wait for the job of your dreams.

Please treat your application as if you were not taking the polygraph.  You have the obligation to meet all employment requirements.

Regards

Well said.

You also have to consider the consequences of being found to have lied to background investigators and/or on your security forms (both are technically felonies, even if they aren't prosecuted very often).  If your drug use is discovered and you concealed it, you might be out of consideration for a lot longer than four years.  And you'd be amazed what background investigators can uncover.

Skeptic

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Wannabcop
New User

Reply #3 - Nov 1st, 2002 at 8:02pm
Well, maybe you guys are right.  If I cannot become a police officer for a couple of years due to my past, what else could I do with my criminal justice degree?  Do probation officers, or parole officers have stict hiring policies like the police departments do?  I want to use my degree, but it seems as if every law enforcement job, I cannot do because of a few bad choices in my past.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #4 - Nov 1st, 2002 at 8:44pm

Wannabcop wrote on Nov 1st, 2002 at 8:02pm:

Do probation officers, or parole officers have stict hiring policies like the police departments do?  I want to use my degree, but it seems as if every law enforcement job, I cannot do because of a few bad choices in my past.  

You might want to get a job in sales of security electronic equipment.  Most law enforcement agencies are now starting to lean towards technical degrees and officers who are comfortable using the latest equipment will be in demand.  

Any large mall or store has security departments which need help.  Everyone wants to start at the top but this type of job will demonstrate a stable employment history and give you experience.  You can continue your masters at night during this period.

You could also finish an additional computer degree at night.  There is a huge demand for computer forensic investigators (and competitive salaries).

What ever you do, live your life like it will be under a microscope because everything you do can be scruntinized during investigation.  If becoming an officer is important to you than you must leave your mistakes behind and do not make them again.  The difference between a wise man and a fool is that the fool does not learn from his mistakes.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box The_Breeze
Very Senior User

Reply #5 - Nov 4th, 2002 at 9:48pm
Wannabcop
Your getting good treatment here, and sound advice from the two that are responding to you. Elsewhere you might be urged to employ deceptive practices since you are a good person and the test is a sham anyway. Dont go for it.
Ill take some exception to lying on an applicant document as being a felony, but thats irrelevant.  If you characterized your drug use accurately, it will indeed be a problem for you anywhere, upper schedule drug use has a chilling effect on management.
You logged on here no doubt to learn what you would be up against in an applicant screen, but remember if the application documents are anything like my agencies, you would have to lie multiple times, before even getting to the polygraph. Lousy way to start a career.
Your young, I presume. There is time to do it right.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Skeptic
God Member

Reply #6 - Nov 4th, 2002 at 10:16pm

The_Breeze wrote on Nov 4th, 2002 at 9:48pm:

Wannabcop
Your getting good treatment here, and sound advice from the two that are responding to you. Elsewhere you might be urged to employ deceptive practices since you are a good person and the test is a sham anyway. Dont go for it.
Ill take some exception to lying on an applicant document as being a felony, but thats irrelevant.  If you characterized your drug use accurately, it will indeed be a problem for you anywhere, upper schedule drug use has a chilling effect on management.

Just out of curiosity, Breeze, why is that?  Not that I'd advocate illegal involvement with drugs (nor have I ever had any myself), but is it a PR thing?  Fallout from "war-on-drugs" legislation?  Or concern about actual job performance?

Surely, one incident of recent drug use doesn't establish a pattern, yet it's often enough to disqualify someone.  I'd like to better understand why.

Skeptic

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Reply #7 - Nov 4th, 2002 at 11:10pm
Skeptic wrote on Nov 4th, 2002 at 10:16pm:

Just out of curiosity, Breeze, why is that?  Not that I'd advocate illegal involvement with drugs (nor have I ever had any myself), but is it a PR thing?  Fallout from "war-on-drugs" legislation?  Or concern about actual job performance?

Skeptic

Skeptic,
I think a lot of it has to do with the people one associates with. A LE officer that has RECENTLY had friends sufficiently close to have used heroin or some other "heavy" drug, even if only once, would be a significant risk factor. I have no qualms with some reasonable period that an applicant should be completely clean, perhaps based on the type of drug last used and it's association with subsequent conduct. I do have qualms with the use of voodoo to make that assessment.

-Marty
« Last Edit: Nov 4th, 2002 at 11:56pm by Marty »  

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box The_Breeze
Very Senior User

Reply #8 - Nov 5th, 2002 at 12:30am
Skeptic
Marty has it mostly right. I think its also a trust and judgement issue. Right or wrong no administration wants to answer the question (should it come up) as to why one of their officers immediately (substitute agency approved time frame here) prior to hiring did not have the restraint to not do a certain felony drug act.  Also I think the possibility that the new officer could be compromised in their new duties by old acquaintances (his point).  Why start out with a clearcut ethical dilemma?  Risk management demands risk reduction.
Misdemeanor  (here anyway) drug use like marijuana is taken on a case by case basis. There are no arbitrary #'s of times making managements decision easier like the feds.  In these cases someone who lacked the basic sense to not have abstained for a long time prior to application, is doomed to fail.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box dimas
Especially Senior User

Reply #9 - Dec 4th, 2002 at 4:59am
If you have been going to college for the last 4 or 5 years studying criminal justice and planning to go into that field how the hell did it make any sense to use a "hard" drug?  Personally I find your lack of restraint disappointing.  People who are in law enforcement positions are put in a privileged position of public trust.  If you can't refrain from using "drugs" knowing that you were choosing LE as a career how the hell can anyone expect you to refrain from looking the other way when officers are doing something unethical, or not take that 1000 dollars you found under the car seat?  Drug experimentation as a "teen" is one thing, but you are an adult, and one that has been studying criminal justice for a while!  I am sorry but if you can't get into LE it is for the better.

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams."&&

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #10 - Dec 4th, 2002 at 2:57pm
dimas wrote on Dec 4th, 2002 at 4:59am:

If you have been going to college for the last 4 or 5 years studying criminal justice and planning to go into that field how the hell did it make any sense to use a "hard" drug?  Personally I find your lack of restraint disappointing.  People who are in law enforcement positions are put in a privileged position of public trust.  If you can't refrain from using "drugs" knowing that you were choosing LE as a career how the hell can anyone expect you to refrain from looking the other way when officers are doing something unethical, or not take that 1000 dollars you found under the car seat?  Drug experimentation as a "teen" is one thing, but you are an adult, and one that has been studying criminal justice for a while!  I am sorry but if you can't get into LE it is for the better.

Dear dimas,

You and I agree about the use of drugs before law enforcement but I think that when we were younger it was not as common as it is now (I am in my forties).  Children are exposed to drugs and alcohol as young as first grade.  I am not defending Wannabcop from his use of drugs as an adult but his recognition and admission of regret over using it is a step in the right direction.  I believe if he is now focused and can meet the application requirements in the future, he should be given the chance to become a law officer.  There are countless excellent law enforcement officers who had contact with the law (on the wrong side of it) that led them to their current careers.

If he can honestly meet all of the application requirements than he should as least be given fair consideration.
« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2002 at 6:16pm by Fair Chance »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box police hopeful

Reply #11 - Mar 31st, 2003 at 6:27am
Like wannabcop I've made a few mistakes when it comes to drug use.  I've been in the military for the past 6.5 years and hope that some mistakes in the past won't hinder me from becoming a police officer.  While in the military I've experimented with marijuana and ecstacy.  The last time I used anything was July 2000.  Presently I volunteer at a police department in the narcotics evidence room (I got that job because of my security clearance in the military) and a few other volunteer positions.  I also attend school twice a week.  Does anyone think that all my volunteer work, school, and security clearance will let the department overlook a few mistakes in my past or will it have them overlook me as a possible risk?  I appreciate all replies and thank you.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #12 - Mar 31st, 2003 at 5:58pm
Dear Police Hopeful,

If there are a surplus of applicants for the position that your are applying for, a history of any drug use will place you at a disadvantage compared to a similar applicant without one.

I am not passing judgement but I am becoming extremely concerned about "experimental" drug use during military service. Today's military makes it extremely clear that it has a "zero" drug tolerence policy.  I cannot understand why a member would want to risk a  dishonorable discharge (I am automatically assuming that you have not used drugs which would have affected the safety and security of other service members or my words could not be printed on a public web-site).  Is peer pressure or curiousity that strong that someone would sacrifice or risk their future?

If it is peer pressure, you need to find a completely new set of people to be around.  Anyone who would encourage you to use drugs is certainly not looking out for your best interest.

Your recent good work is commendable but law enforcement tends to be very skeptical about "zebras changing their stripes."  Right or wrong, they tend to think that most drug users have a much higher risk or trying it again.

This is my opinion.  I have tried to present it in a respectful manner so take it for just that.

Good luck in your applications.  You will not know for sure unless you try.

Regards.
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2003 at 8:13pm by Fair Chance »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box LEEBARRET

Reply #13 - Apr 9th, 2003 at 7:27am
I used to think that Police Work was a dream job also, Trust me its not. In my opinion, if you were tempted into using hard drugs, even just once, you are not cut out for Police work anyway. This is not a bad thing though! It is just that you will be tempted so many times in the job, that you will most likely use drugs again. This is not a bad thing either in my opinion! It is though if you are involved in Law enforcement. 
Trust me do something different, and try and stay clean for 5 years, if you can do that, what the hell try it out. But again, in my opinion and my experience you are not cut out for Police work. There are a few exceptions, but for the most part not.   

IP Logged

Bad drug history

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X