Normal Topic Gordon H. Barland to Speak on Countermeasures (Read 3607 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Gordon H. Barland to Speak on Countermeasures
Oct 22nd, 2002 at 4:53pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Dr. Gordon H. Barland is scheduled to give a presentation on "Identifying and Preventing Countermeasures" on Friday, 25 October 2002 at a polygraph seminar to be held at the Holiday Inn Charleston House, Charleston, W. VA. The conference, which is sponsored by a number of state polygraph associations, including the Virginia Polygraph Association and the Maryland Polygraph Association, begins on Thursday. According to the seminar description on the Virginia Polygraph Association website, the seminar is open to non-members, who will be charged $175. According to the seminar schedule on the Maryland Polygraph Association website, Dr. Barland will be speaking from 8:00 A.M. until 5:00 P.M., with morning and afternoon refreshment breaks and a break for lunch.

One wonders how Dr. Barland is going to speak all day about a "identifying and preventing countermeasures" when no polygrapher has demonstrated the ability to do such. Dr. Barland's talk is presumably not based on any alleged classified government research, since the conference is open to people without national security clearances.

Perhaps Dr. Barland would care to demonstrate his ability to "identify and prevent countermeasures" by being the first to accept Dr. Richardson's polygraph countermeasure challenge?

Wink

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fair Chance
God Member

Re: Gordon H. Barland to Speak on Countermeasures
Reply #1 - Oct 23rd, 2002 at 2:59am
Dear George,

Judging by the reply activity and amount of hits on this subject, Mr. Barland's ability to garner attention is lacking.  I only wish I could go just to see who would actually spend the money to hear "scientific proof" of countermeasure expertise in action.  

I think you are very astute in your observation that the polygraph community is trying to exist as if the NAS report never happened.  

As you stated, "The toothpaste cannot be put back into the tube" at this point.

The complete lack of debate on almost any subject at this website except for touche's weak misquote is an example of how difficult this report must have been for them to read.

The war is far from over but I think the first "thermonuclear report" destruction has gotten their attention and the polygraph's civil defense agencies are in disarray.  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Marty
Especially Senior User

Reply #2 - Oct 23rd, 2002 at 5:35am
I don't think the NAS was difficult for them to digest. I doubt many in the polygraph community were surprised. I just don't think they have figured out a way to publicly respond to it that doesn't make them look worse.  I think they will just lay low and hope it is forgotten in the mash of other news and babble.

After all they represent "Truth, Justice, and the American Way".  Oops, Wrong superhero. I meant Marston's Wonder Woman with her magic, truth telling lasso.

-Marty  (Ah, when I was young and feckless)

Leaf my Philodenrons alone.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Oct 23rd, 2002 at 8:22am
Fair Chance,

You write in part:

Quote:
Judging by the reply activity and amount of hits on this subject, Mr. Barland's ability to garner attention is lacking.  I only wish I could go just to see who would actually spend the money to hear "scientific proof" of countermeasure expertise in action.

I wouldn't draw any inferences about the level of interest in what Dr. Barland has to say on countermeasures from the replies to this message thread, or the number of times it has been viewed. (Note that the counter that keeps track of the number of times a message thread has been viewed does not include the number of times a post in it was read using the "Ten Recent Posts" feature.)

The topic of polygraph countermeasures has been on the agenda at numerous polygraph conferences lately, including those of the American Polygraph Association, the American Association of Police Polygraphers, and the National Polygraph Association. No doubt the great majority, if not all, of those attending the conference in Charleston, West Virginia will have learned of it from some source other than this message board.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

God Member

Reply #4 - Oct 23rd, 2002 at 3:05pm
Marty, 

I think you are right that proponents of polygraph want as little public attention as possible to this report. 

Dr. Richarson's appearance on NPR is certainly a positive thing.

George,

Thanks for the information on log tallies.

I am just surprised that Mr. Barland is still touting countermeasures after the NAS reports stated that there was no significant information about them that they could find.

As mentioned earlier, was this information moved to a "Top Secret" security level?

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #5 - Oct 23rd, 2002 at 3:12pm
Fair Chance,

Regarding the shell game that the federal polygraph community apparently played on the National Academy of Sciences with regard to purported countermeasure studies, the NAS report states at p. 4-9:

Quote:
Also, we were advised by officials from DOE and DoDPI that there was information relevant to our work, classified at the secret level, particularly with regard to polygraph countermeasures. In order to review such information, several committee members and staff obtained national security clearances at the secret level. We were subsequently told by officials of the Central Intelligence Agency and DoDPI that there were no completed studies of polygraph countermeasures at the secret level; we do not know whether there are any such studies at a higher level of classification.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

God Member

Reply #6 - Oct 23rd, 2002 at 3:22pm
Dear George,

The light bulb finally went on.

So the  real question becomes,

where are they getting scientific information supporting the counter-countermeasures arguement that can be presented in a non-secure public forum?

The NAS states that there is no current public information available up to the secret level.

Any public presentations are questionable if not out and out fraud.

IP Logged

Gordon H. Barland to Speak on Countermeasures

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X