Normal Topic question re: fbi hiring process (Read 1880 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mongo

question re: fbi hiring process
Oct 1st, 2002 at 1:54am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
???
Hi guys.  Great web site.  I've learned much about the polygraph through these posts, both pro and con.  I was thinking . . . wouldn't this topic make a great college course?  "The desireability of government employment screening with the polygraph"  Anyway, just a thought.

Getting to my question . . .:  I've been looking into the possibility of beginning a career with the fbi.  It's something I've considered a lot during my life (I'm 33 - practicing law in CA).  I'm somewhat familiar with the hiring process, thanks to sites like this one as well as fbi.gov.  I have a hard time believing that the fbi itself believes in the validity of the polygraph as a measure of a given person's truthfulness - for various reasons.   

In particular I'd like to hear your views on why the heck the fbi requires job candidates with a "conditional" offer of employment to undergo a urine drug screen.  To my understanding (which I'll admit is limited) the urinalysis takes place right before the candidate gets sent off to quantico, which is just a short period of time after the passing of the polygraph.  If the person just "passed" all the questions about prior drug use and current drug use, etc., what's the point in conducting a second test for drugs just a few weeks after?  What is the likelihood that a "clean" person has lived his or her life free of drug use, and then in the two weeks after getting a conditional offer of employment with the fbi, he or she decides to shoot up or smoke a bowl or something?  The only thing I can figure, is that the fbi truly does not believe in the validity of the polygraph as a measure of truthfulness.  (which is not to say that the polygraph might not be a useful screening tool for the fbi in other ways, i.e. encouraging confessions).

Any thoughts?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mark Mallah
Very Senior User

Re: question fbi hiring process
Reply #1 - Oct 1st, 2002 at 7:12am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
The flaw in your analysis is that you presuppose that FBI regulations are constructed on a foundation of logic, all complementing and consistent with each other.  If you get in, you will quickly learn otherwise.

I don't mean to be cynical, it's just the nature of a huge bureaucratic organization.  The timing of the urinalysis test should in no way be interpreted as a renunciation of, or any comment on, the polygraph test.

Although, even assuming FBI regulations were all logical and consistent with each other, I believe one could argue that the purpose of the urinalysis test is to serve as a verification of the polygraph test.

Good luck with your application.

IP Logged

question re: fbi hiring process

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X