Normal Topic What went wrong? (Read 7420 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box beech trees
God Member

What went wrong?
Sep 1st, 2002 at 9:14pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Shoot -'em-up, lying nets former lawmen jail time 

Fair use quote:

Quote:
Two former law enforcement officers have been sentenced after pleading guilty to shooting up a Stevens County neighborhood with a submachine gun, then lying to investigators... Former Stevens County deputy Will Clark and his onetime Suncrest roommate, former Newport police reservist Christopher Spurlock, accepted plea agreements Wednesday from Prosecutor Jerry Wetle.

Stevens County Sheriff's Department apparently uses the polygraph as part of their application screening process.

Why didn't the polygraph catch their deputy?

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government." ~ Thomas Paine

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Batman (Guest)

Re: What went wrong?
Reply #1 - Sep 1st, 2002 at 10:50pm
Hey beech, how ya doin'? Roll Eyes

When were either of these two individuals polygraphed?  You state that the Stevens County Sheriff's department "apparently" uses polygraph.  Do they or don't they?  If they do, were these two polygraphed?  Did the incident occur before they were hired, or polygraphed (if they ever were)?  How about some more facts?  God knows I have been accused of jumping to conclusions without having enough information.  I believe even you have jumped me once or twice for doing this.

How about it George, is Beech concluding too much with too little information?  I mean, he's asking why polygraph didn't catch the deputy, but we don't even know for sure if polygraph was ever a factor in any way in this case or with these two individuals?

This posintg by Beech wouldn't simply be some closed minded anti-polygraph shot in the dark would it?  Surely you guys are more open minded than that. 8)

Anyway, my money says the plea agreements were most likely coerced by some low life prosecutor working closely with an evil police interrogator.  Maybe these two were simply young, naive, hungry, and tired when they made these plea agreements.   That's possible isn't it George? ???

Batman

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #2 - Sep 1st, 2002 at 11:12pm
Batman wrote on Sep 1st, 2002 at 10:50pm:
Anyway, my money says the plea agreements were most likely coerced by some low life prosecutor

You mean like this one?

Assistant DA Fired After Allegedly Plotting To Kill Wife

Quote:
working closely with an evil police interrogator.

You mean like this one?

FBI Polygrapher helps coerce false confession

Quote:
Maybe these two were simply young, naive, hungry, and tired when they made these plea agreements.   That's possible isn't it George? ???

Or perhaps their spirits were broken by unscrupulous polygraph interrogators-- that's possible, isn't it batman? Or do you deny your fellow LEO is guilty of coercion?

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government." ~ Thomas Paine

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Sep 2nd, 2002 at 5:20pm
Beech, you off the meds yet?

How about giving a few simple answers to the questions I asked about your initial post on this topic?

Here they are again:

When were either of these two individuals polygraphed?  You state that the Stevens County Sheriff's department "apparently" uses polygraph.  Do they or don't they?  If they do, were these two polygraphed?  Did the incident occur before they were hired, or polygraphed (if they ever were)?  How about some more facts? 

Come on Beech, your all for accuracy.  Please provide a few accurate facts about the information you initially provided as to how it pertains to polygraph utilization.

Batman

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #4 - Sep 2nd, 2002 at 10:36pm
Quote:

Stevens County Sheriff's Department apparently uses the polygraph as part of their application screening process.

Why didn't the polygraph catch their deputy?

Beech Trees,

I have to agree with Batman here. I don't see any indication in the article that either of the two law enforcement officers involved was subjected to pre-employment polygraph screening, or that the crimes to which they have pled guilty occurred before any such polygraph screening. I don't see how any inferences about polygraphy can be drawn based on this article.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box The_Breeze
Very Senior User

Reply #5 - Sep 19th, 2002 at 5:05pm
Beech Tree
And while you are making assumptions, you might as well take a shot at the discredited practice of pre-employment psychological testing.  Such testing would surely be more relevant in showing deep personality flaws that might lead to incidents such as this. Or do you not want to go down that road since as a rule it is conducted by a Phd.?
Since (thankfully) we are in time out, you may answer through one of your proxies

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #6 - Sep 28th, 2002 at 9:56pm
In a fit of pique I posted the first message in this thread, no doubt irked by the repetitive trumpeting of certain law enforcement agents on this board about their sterling ethics and higher morals than we who stand opposed to the use of polygraphs in counter-espionage, employment, and other types of screening, as well as its use in certain criminal investigations.

The point I was trying to make is that law enforcement agents, many of whom passed a pre-employment polygraph in order to gain their position of power, are no more moral or ethical than any other demographic of society, and are certainly not 'better' than those who are not involved in law enforcement. Daily readers of newspapers can clearly see that police officers (and prosecutors and judges) are routinely arrested and convicted for crimes such as drunk driving, drugged driving, hit and run, rape, drug dealing, arson, car theft, burglery, armed robbery, assault and murder-- including cop-killings. Did the polygraph, as a pre-emplyment screening tool, catch any of them? 

Any detective worth his salt knows and will tell you that when a person is caught commiting a crime, the chances of it being the very first time said person commited that crime are slim indeed.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Sep 30th, 2002 at 9:14pm
Beech,

How would you know what "any detective worth his salt knows"?  You been reading those Nero Wolf novels again, or maybe watching Law & Order reruns? 

You state, "The point I was trying to make is that law enforcement agents, many of whom passed a pre-employment polygraph in order to gain their position of power, are no more moral or ethical than any other demographic of society, and are certainly not 'better' than those who are not involved in law enforcement."  Why didn't you just state that then?  How come you only give us the true insight meaning of your posts after you've been called out.

I'll tell you what any good dectective worth his salt knows.  He knows that you're a BS'er, that's what he knows.  You thought you had a good one but when told to put up or shut up you simply tried to turn it in your favor.  No doubt you're a Democrat, maybe even someone who as aspirations of being a Congressman some day.  Even your lord and master, the mighty George, called you out on this one.  If you can't admit you stepped on your pud and move on, then what ever you do, don't try and pretend you know what any good dectective worth his salt knows.  You don't have a clue!

Batman

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Skeptic
God Member

Reply #8 - Oct 2nd, 2002 at 12:57am

Batman wrote on Sep 30th, 2002 at 9:14pm:

I'll tell you what any good dectective worth his salt knows.  He knows that you're a BS'er, that's what he knows.  You thought you had a good one but when told to put up or shut up you simply tried to turn it in your favor.  No doubt you're a Democrat, maybe even someone who as aspirations of being a Congressman some day.  Even your lord and master, the mighty George, called you out on this one.  If you can't admit you stepped on your pud and move on, then what ever you do, don't try and pretend you know what any good dectective worth his salt knows.  You don't have a clue!

Batman

Do you always speak with such authority on topics about which you obviously know so little?

You need to learn your political positions, Batman.  Beech's positions put him solidly in the "libertarian" category.

Skeptic

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #9 - Oct 2nd, 2002 at 3:20am
Batman wrote on Sep 30th, 2002 at 9:14pm:
How would you know what "any detective worth his salt knows"?  You been reading those Nero Wolf novels again, or maybe watching Law & Order reruns?

Who is Nero Wolf? As to your second hypothesis, not since Michael Moriarity left the show.

Quote:
You state, "The point I was trying to make is that law enforcement agents, many of whom passed a pre-employment polygraph in order to gain their position of power, are no more moral or ethical than any other demographic of society, and are certainly not 'better' than those who are not involved in law enforcement."  Why didn't you just state that then?  How come you only give us the true insight meaning of your posts after you've been called out.

It's called clarifying one's position, b.m. Where are you going with your grand conspiracy theory?

Quote:
I'll tell you what any good dectective worth his salt knows.  He knows that you're a BS'er, that's what he knows.

Would you care to put up or (God forbid) shut up, b.m.? What about my post (specifically please) is b.s.? Or, for that matter, I invite you to take exception to any of my assertions on the boards. Yes, it's my tired mantra of wishing to debate you, b.m. I'm pretty sure I could hold my own if you'd like to try-- after all, I've never had the pleasure of serving on a jury.

Quote:
You thought you had a good one but when told to put up or shut up you simply tried to turn it in your favor.  No doubt you're a Democrat, maybe even someone who as aspirations of being a Congressman some day.  Even your lord and master, the mighty George, called you out on this one.  If you can't admit you stepped on your pud and move on, then what ever you do, don't try and pretend you know what any good dectective worth his salt knows.  You don't have a clue!

I really don't have a response to the above quoted passage. It's just so precious, so inane, so wrong I wanted it repeated.
« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2002 at 6:11am by beech trees »  

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #10 - Oct 2nd, 2002 at 3:40pm
To follow up witht he original content of this post, I cannot absolutely confirm that the above-cited LEO's were polygraphed as a condition of employment. The Stevens County Sheriff's Department DOES use the polygraph as part of their pre employment screening process, however they refuse to confirm or deny that Deputy Clark was administered a polygraph.

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #11 - Oct 2nd, 2002 at 9:27pm
BT
Your obvious distaste for Law Enforcement shows clearly in your personal attacks.
Having read a few historical posts now, I dont recall any LE officer claiming "sterling ethics" but some have questioned the integrity of the information provided here.  Since it becomes more apparent daily that you have no practical experience with this matter you are so passionate about, you should probably take a rest before you burst a blood vessel.
And since you had your way in your 2 (claimed) polygraphs, and were a masterful manipulator using countermeasure techniques, you should not feel so threatened by this tool that does not work.  Did you do your countermeasure research prior to even failing your first polygraph, or was it just an interesting exercise to completely befuddle your interrogators?

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #12 - Oct 2nd, 2002 at 11:36pm
The_Breeze wrote on Oct 2nd, 2002 at 9:27pm:

BT
Your obvious distaste for Law Enforcement shows clearly in your personal attacks.

Not distaste for 'law enforcement' per se. But, you raise an interesting observation. What, in your opinion, should I feel about you after you posted this?

Should I hold batman's opinion in anything but low regard after he finally admits his seething hatred of civilians? If so, why?
« Last Edit: Oct 3rd, 2002 at 7:22am by beech trees »  

IP Logged

Very Senior User

Reply #13 - Oct 3rd, 2002 at 10:53pm
BT
If by your comment you are attempting to call me a hypocrite, just say it.  Its not like you to be tongue tied.  You would be completely right that I do not have professional respect for some of the posters here, especially you, who seem so emotionally tied to this issue that independent thought is impossible for them.
Since you wont tell anyone even in the most general terms how exactly you arrived at your current level of (in)experience, you should not be surprised when you are mocked.  You have assumed the responsibility of "greeter and gatekeeper" when perhaps you should defer to someone who has actual knowledge. 
Having a large vocabulary will not suffice for not knowing what you are talking about.

IP Logged

God Member

Reply #14 - Oct 4th, 2002 at 2:33am
The_Breeze wrote on Oct 3rd, 2002 at 10:53pm:

BT
If by your comment you are attempting to call me a hypocrite, just say it.  Its not like you to be tongue tied.  You would be completely right that I do not have professional respect for some of the posters here, especially you, who seem so emotionally tied to this issue that independent thought is impossible for them.

I invite you to refute any assertions I have made here, The_Breeze. Until then, your insinuations that I lack independent thought are dismissed as baseless, ad hominem attacks. Don't like what I have to say? Here's a tip: Telling me I lack independent thought is worthless. Argue the facts.

Quote:
Since you wont tell anyone even in the most general terms how exactly you arrived at your current level of (in)experience, you should not be surprised when you are mocked.

That was mocking? I call it juvenile, retarded and pig-ignorant.

Quote:
You have assumed the responsibility of "greeter and gatekeeper" when perhaps you should defer to someone who has actual knowledge.

Invitation #326: Tell me where my assertions are wrong. Tell me where my lack of knowledge on the subject of polygraphy has resulted in an erroneous assertion. You've aptly demonstrated that you wallow in delight in attacking the man. Do you have knowledge enough to refute the man's words?

Quote:
Having a large vocabulary will not suffice for not knowing what you are talking about.

But 23 posts will??
« Last Edit: Oct 4th, 2002 at 6:37am by beech trees »  

IP Logged

What went wrong?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X