Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) ive read and now HOW DO I GET AWAY WITH LYING? (Read 35840 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box sd
New User

Re: ive read and now HOW DO I GET AWAY WITH LYING?
Reply #30 - May 19th, 2002 at 5:15am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
someone asked a ? about the directed-lie ?'s are you suppose to use countermeasures when they ask you to lie. And everyone on this board talks about gov. stuff. I need to know what kind of test are given for fire department test. If any one has taken one for fd please let me know. also how is the drug ? relevant if 90% of the population have used drugs at one time or another

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #31 - May 19th, 2002 at 8:36am
Batman wrote in part:

Quote:
By "characteristic physiological response" I assume both Iocono and Lykken are referring to a "Pinoccio" (sp?) response, wherein there is no single type response common to all people that can be identified as a response to lying.  Or are they saying that no reaction, specific to deception, can be identified even at the individual level (identifiable to that one person)?  This appear to possibly be the case, if I interpret your reference to Lykken's Tremer... propely.  He appears to be saying there is no difference simply because an individual can provide the same type response both when lying and when telling the truth.  Or is he saying that any differences would not be valid because they could look similar?

I appreciate the references, and they certinaly provide good information for discussion, however I'm curious to know what  you think about the possibility a peron undergos changes in their physiology when they lie, and the possibility of accurately recording those changes in some way.  Thoughts?

I am aware of no scientific research supporting the notion that people exhibit any characteristic physiological response measurable by a polygraph instrument when lying, even at the individual level.

Regarding the scientific status of polygraphy, see Chapter 1 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector and the sources cited there.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #32 - May 19th, 2002 at 8:43am

sd wrote on May 19th, 2002 at 5:15am:

someone asked a ? about the directed-lie ?'s are you suppose to use countermeasures when they ask you to lie. And everyone on this board talks about gov. stuff. I need to know what kind of test are given for fire department test. If any one has taken one for fd please let me know. also how is the drug ? relevant if 90% of the population have used drugs at one time or another

Fire departments are likely to use a probable-lie "control" question "test." To learn about the different polygraph formats as well as countermeasures, see Chapters 3 and 4 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector. With regard to illegal drug use, most agencies will accept applicants who admit to limited use of illegal drugs in the past, but will reject those found to have used them beyond a certain limit.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Batman (Guest)

Reply #33 - May 19th, 2002 at 10:08am
Mr. M,

I took a quick look at the document you reference, The Lie Behind The Lie Detector.  It's pretty extensive, it'll take a while to absorb it, but I want to do that and will return.

In the mean time, my heart, mind, and experiences continue to lead me to believe, regardless of the status of something like polygraph, that basic honesty and truthfulness at all levels, though at times it may be uncomfortable and even painful, is in the long run where we should all strive to be, not only on the organizational level, but on the individual level as well; for it is the individual(s) who ultimately makes up any organization be it private or government, and that organization ultimately reflects the individual.

Until then, 

Batman

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #34 - May 19th, 2002 at 10:25am
Batman,

Quote:
In the mean time, my heart, mind, and experiences continue to lead me to believe, regardless of the status of something like polygraph, that basic honesty and truthfulness at all levels, though at times it may be uncomfortable and even painful, is in the long run where we should all strive to be, not only on the organizational level, but on the individual level as well; for it is the individual(s) who ultimately makes up any organization be it private or government, and that organization ultimately reflects the individual.

You should be aware then, that polygraph "testing" is fundamentally dependent upon the polygrapher lying to and otherwise deceiving the person being "tested." In addition, it depends on the secret assumption that the examinee's answers to the so-called "control" questions will be less than truthful. Indeed, the more honestly one answers the so-called "control" questions, and as a consequence experiences less anxiety when answering them, the more likely one is to "fail" the "test." (If any of this is news to you, you'll find it explained at Chapter 3 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector.) Those who demand honesty from others (e.g., government agencies) are setting a miserable example with their reliance on the pseudoscientific fraud that is polygraphy.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box FormerOfficer

Reply #35 - May 19th, 2002 at 5:10pm
I'll agree that poly's can detect physiological changes in the body, but not only when lying....

My third Poly I went to take, the tester sent me home to get an EKG - he said that I must have a heart problem, because my heart rate was all over the place on his machine.   

I had an EKG the next day and my doc (the police doc) said I was completly healthy, and my heart was strong and fine.

I was nervous because of the last poly, although I was honest about everything to my BG investigator, and he was the one who wrote the questions, so I knew I would pass...

Weird it was.

I have to agree with the rest of the folks - for criminal investigations - I say interrogate away.

For pre-employment I think it needs to be banned.

Batman,
   Thanks for taking a second, more "objective" look at the poly.  Read the data collected and I think you'll see our point a little clearer.

I'm not out to protect criminals, but I'm not one, and don't want to be treated like one.

Regards,
  FormerOfficer

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Reply #36 - May 19th, 2002 at 8:08pm
Quote:
My third Poly I went to take, the tester sent me home to get an EKG - he said that I must have a heart problem, because my heart rate was all over the place on his machine.   

I had an EKG the next day and my doc (the police doc) said I was completely healthy, and my heart was strong and fine.

I always get a good laugh when I hear that polygraph examiners are diagnosing medical conditions. Someone with no college education and an eight-week training course has absolutely no business advising others on the status of their health.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
ive read and now HOW DO I GET AWAY WITH LYING?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X