Normal Topic Pre-Law Enforcement Polygraph (Read 3940 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box The_Beaver
New User

Pre-Law Enforcement Polygraph
Apr 28th, 2002 at 12:43am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
???   Post 9-11 our local Sheriff's office has been asking for volunteers to help beef up their Auxillery.  I am scheduled to begin an auxillery law enforcement certification class provided I pass their[/color][color=Black] background investigation and polygraph.  Now I am almost as goody goody clean as Beaver Cleaver -  But after having read the Lie Behind the Lie Detector, (the day after I took it - duh), and many of the stories on this site, I am concerned.  Two weeks have passed since the polygraph and I've heard nothing. No comment as to whether I passed - No post test interview - And not one of my references has been contacted.  I'm suppossed to start class next week.  Should I be concerned about showing up for class and finding my name scratched off the list?  It's not like my livelyhood depends on this position as I am doing it strictly as a volunteer....However, I would hate to have my integrity in question because I was too honest and failed!!
Anyone have any input?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Pre-Law Enforcement Polygraph
Reply #1 - Apr 28th, 2002 at 1:06am
The absence of a post-"test" interrogation seems to be a good indication that you passed. See Chapter 5 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector for suggestions on how to proceed in the event that you are informed that you failed. But based on your account, I wouldn't be too worried.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

New User

Reply #2 - May 5th, 2002 at 12:29am
I'm probably nervous over nothing but I'm wondering if I will even be informed of my poly results.  I took the test nearly three weeks ago.  After the test was over, and the machine was disconnected, the examiner asked if any of the questions he asked during the testing phase bothered me.  I said no.  He said that the charts would later be scored by himself and then independantly by a second examiner.  He shook my hand and with no further question told me the results would be included with my background investigation which would take a couple weeks. 

At 2.5 weeks post test I was allowed to begin the dept's L.E. auxiliary course as scheduled - However, all the class participants were required to sign a form acknowledging that if their BI came back 'disqualified' they would be dismissed from class.  I am now a week into class, (and three weeks since poly), and personnel has now scheduled me for my department physical and drug screen. 

Now, this is a small agency. The personnel office, training facility and polygraphers/BI investigators are all in the same building.  If for any reason I had failed the polygraph is it likely the agency would let me continue training and surprise me with this issue later? Or have I read one to many horror stories posted on this site and need to relax?  If I passed the Background and Poly will I be informed or will I simply be moved along through the process and have to assume all's well?  Sorry to ramble.

Thanks - The Beav
« Last Edit: May 5th, 2002 at 4:19am by The_Beaver »  

IP Logged

New User

Reply #3 - May 16th, 2002 at 10:22pm
So far - So good.  8) I pre-employment polygraphed for a local Law Enforcement Agency five weeks ago.  I had no post test interview and was never informed if I passed. (read my previous posts) The agency has now begun my Background Investigation.   Two friends confirmed they were contacted by an investigator.  

As I have now been allowed to start academy classes, for which the agency is paying, as well as an agency paid physical and drug screen, not to mention the time for a B.I., should I feel confident that I passed the poly?  I was told the poly would be submitted as part of the investigation. If for any reason the test reflected deception would the average agency continue the process?  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Fred F.
Very Senior User

Get Educated.... Knowledge
is Power

Reply #4 - May 17th, 2002 at 2:19am
Quote:
As I have now been allowed to start academy classes, for which the agency is paying, as well as an agency paid physical and drug screen, not to mention the time for a B.I., should I feel confident that I passed the poly?

The Beav,

It seems inappropriate for a small Dept. to spend money to start the training process and DQ you for failing your polygraph. Another odd thing is why are they starting your training without completing the background investigation. Did they also provide you with uniforms, etc? 

If you were found "deceptive" that usually will end your processing and they contact you by phone first and documentation later. 

It appears that you are in good shape based on the information you have posted.

Relax and Good Luck in the academy.

Fred F. Wink

IP Logged

Pre-Law Enforcement Polygraph

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X