Normal Topic The Movement of Information...? (Read 3459 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box MissionPoly-ban
Very Senior User

The Movement of Information...?
Feb 25th, 2002 at 3:41am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Some simple questions:

Say I test at a local PD, and get disqualified from their testing process because of a failed polygraph. 

Now say I am testing at another agency and taking another polygraph but at a different location/different polygraphing place.

When they ask whether or not I have taken a polygraph before, and I say no, is there any chance/any place that police agencies can go to check the polygraph results of people (a place that collectively gathers polygraph results for all who take polygraphs)?

As far as I understand it, only the agency that tests you and the PD you are testing for have your poly records, and so the only way the new PD you are testing for can get your records/know you have other records is if you tell them you took one for another department (assuming the polygraph for the new PD is at another poly agency).
.....??????

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Taz23

Re: The Movement of Information...?
Reply #1 - Feb 25th, 2002 at 10:36pm
I have applied to 3 different PD's on the Personal History Statement they ask you what other agnecies you have applied with.  On an initial background check, they check with the Civil Service Agnecy. They provide them with the names of all the deprtments you have ever taken a Civil Service Test For.  Further, the new agancy will also contact the other PD's and ask them why you were disqualified.   
In my case an officer accidently handed me my file to hold on to while he made some copies.  I took a quick glimpse and noticed notes from the old department I had applied with.  They stated that I was a poly reject.  They also had witten all the scenarios they had run by me while going through the oral interview board.

To answer your question they find out about other departments you have applied to through the Civil Service Commission.

Taz

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box MissionPoly-ban
Very Senior User

Reply #2 - Feb 26th, 2002 at 8:23am
Taz....

Thanks for your input,  but I don't think the information you have provided me with is correct.

The Civil Service Commission is a commission that is formulated for each city/community. They are responsible for 
the hiring, firing, and disciplining of civil service employees 
for THEIR particular city.

They do not collect lists of all tests taken in all places by all people.  

Moreover,  the reason the officer had information from other departments about you is because you MUST have told them, in your application, about your other testing experiences.

Please let me know where you got your information, and explain further if you insist that you are correct.

Where did you get the information you provided me with in your response?  

I don't mean to be rude, or blunt, but it seems like you have been misled.  

I truly believe that the police department relies on the candidate to tell them where they have tested in the past, as well as the outcomes of those testing experiences.  

It is the Civil Service Commission that looks at the results of the background investigators reports to see who they want to hire.

Why would they have a list of all the exams you have taken at other places?  The are just a board of members who choose who they want to hire as cops.

If you are aware of any other agencies that compile the results for all the tests taken by all the people who want to be cops, please let me know.  The Civil Service Commission Definitely does not do such a thing.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Taz23

Reply #3 - Feb 26th, 2002 at 10:00pm
Netnin,

It seems I may have been misled as to what exactly the Civil Service Commission does.  The reason I reached this conclusion is that when asked in the History Statement if I had ever applied for other departments, I only wrote down one other place.  When I glimpsed at my folder they had contacted the one place I had mentioned and they had also written down the name of of a third PD that I had applied with (I did not provide this information to them).  
The only thing I had done with this third department was take their civil service test.  I had later withdrawn my applicaton because I did not want to get burned as a reject by two departments.  If they did not get this information from the Civil Service, then there surely must be a place where it is collected. Another option is that they may have contacted departments in the area ( But that's like shooting a bullet into the open and not having a target).

Also, While I was waiting for my turn to take a physical at the current department. I overheard a phone conversation between a personnel officer and someone who had called in (Probably a background investigator).  The personnel officer told the person on the other line to hold a minute and he walked over to a file cabinet, pulled a file and then gave the person on other line infomation about an applicant.  He told him how many times the applicant had admited to using marijuana and last date used, other information regarding the applicant, and finally the reason why the applicant had been DQ.

This of course is only one humble man's opinion....

Taz

IP Logged

The Movement of Information...?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X