Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Poly in Asian Country (Read 9598 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box xpmachina
New User

Poly in Asian Country
Feb 23rd, 2002 at 8:28am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Hi everyone, 

I am under investigation of a criminal case, and I had promised the DA to go through a poly test. But not like the regular poly tests in usa or other developed countries. I am in a Asian country, and some of my friends has been polyed before. He told me that in this country, there is no "control questions" or "relevant questions", the whole proedure is like this:

1, Polygrapher shows you 5 cards with number "1" to "5" on the card.

2, You pick up one card, show him the card and memorize the card

3, Then he will collect the cards, and show the cards from 1 to 5, then ask you "Is this the card you picked?"  and you have to answer "no" to all cards.

4, Then he can "adjust" the machine to your respond.

And after the card game, he will start to ask you questions, but all the questions are "REVELANT"....there is NO control questions!!!!!!

In this case, what should I do?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: Poly in Asian Country
Reply #1 - Feb 23rd, 2002 at 10:04am
xpmachina,

First, because you are under investigation in a criminal case, I think you should refuse the polygraph "test" and seek legal counsel. It may be embarrassing to refuse now after you originally promised the DA to go through with the "test," but you can explain that you've learned that the "test" is a fraud (and it is).

The polygrapher's claim that this little card game allows him to "adjust" the machine to your response is a lie. What you described is called an acquaintance test or a stimulation (or "stim") test. The whole purpose of this little game is to attempt to convince the subject that the polygraph can actually detect lies. For more about the stim test, see Chapter 3 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector.

Now, there is indeed a polygraph technique that has no probable-lie or directed-lie "control" questions. It's called the Peak of Tension Test (POT), or Guilty Knowledge Test (GKT) (or, alternatively, the Concealed Information Test). One Asian country where this technique is more widely used than in the United States is Japan.

Although this technique has a sounder theoretical foundation than the "Control" Question "Test," (CQT) its validity has yet to be established by peer-reviewed research conducted under field conditions. This technique is discussed briefly in Chapter 3 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector:

Quote:
Peak of Tension (POT) or Guilty Knowledge Test

This kind of polygraph examination depends on the polygrapher
having knowledge of details of a crime that a suspect should also know only if he is guilty. For example, in the case of an assassination, a suspect could be asked: if you were the trigger man, you should know what kind of ammunition was used. Was it:

a) a NATO-standard 5.56mm round?
b) a 7.62 x 39mm round?
c) a .22 long rifle round?
d) a 30-06 round?
e) a 9mm semi-jacketed hollow point round?

It is expected that the guilty subject will physiologically respond when asked about the ammunition he used in the assassination. Professor Lykken describes the Guilty Knowledge Test, which is based on sounder theoretical principles than the "Control" Question "Test," in chapters 20 and 21 of A Tremor in the Blood.

The Guilty Knowledge Test, however, like the "Control" Question "Test," can be countermeasured by creating responses to one or more of the non-key items.

Again, my advice to you would be to refuse to submit to any polygraph test and to get a lawyer.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

New User

Reply #2 - Feb 23rd, 2002 at 2:29pm
Thank you George, 

You have been always great help to people in this website, and I will follow your instructions to refuse the poly test. 

But since I have agreeed with the DA, if I would refuse the poly test now, would Would anything bad happen to me? Will the judge force me to go throught the poly test afterward?

Sorry I forgot to tell you one thing. In this criminal case, the policemen who got to the spot early ruined the spot and they were so stupid to picture the ruined spot, and the policemen tried to set me up. Can I use this excuse to refuse the poly test?

thank you very very much.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Feb 23rd, 2002 at 2:41pm
xpmachina,

I suspect that the DA will be displeased with your refusal to submit to a polygraph interrogation. I doubt, however, that a judge will force you to submit. In the United States, it is impermissible for a judge to order a suspect in a criminal case t submit to a polygraph interrogation. However, in your country, the law may be different, so it would be best to check with a lawyer.

If pictures and/or key details of the crime scene were made public, this could indeed make use of the GKT format unfeasible. And if the police indeed tried to set you up, that would be additional strong reason for you not to submit to a polygraph "test," because polygraph "tests" can be rigged by the polygrapher to produce the desired result.

Again, I strongly suggest that you seek the advice of a criminal defense attorney.

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Pantywaife
New User

Reply #4 - Feb 24th, 2002 at 7:46am
I don`t know what country you are in but I would suggest that you obtain a lawyer immediately. Then you refuse your scheduled polygraph test.

You justification is that your lawyer advised you to decline their invitation for a polygraph test. You can further state that you don`t know why he advised you to decline but that you will respect his advice because it is his field of expertise and you feel that he is probably acting in your best interests. CASE CLOSED. NO FURTHER DISCUSSION.

Or even better might be to just get your lawyer to call and state that he has advised you not to do the test. He can further suggest that they go through him in the future and not contact you unless they plan on charging you.

PW

IP Logged

New User

Reply #5 - Feb 24th, 2002 at 10:40am
Thank you for your advices.

I will get a lawyer Monday, and follow your advices. 

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #6 - Feb 24th, 2002 at 10:53am
xpmachina,

I think Pantywaife's suggestion that you simply tell the DA that your lawyer has advised you not to submit to a polygraph "test" is better than my suggestion that you explain to the DA that you've learned that the "test" is a fraud. You shouldn't have to explain at any length your decision to refuse the polygraph, and the short explanation that you've refused it on the advice of your lawyer should be adequate.

By the way, if your lawyer suggests that you should take a polygraph "test," you should fire him and get a smarter lawyer.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

New User

Reply #7 - Feb 25th, 2002 at 11:40am
Dear All, 

Thank you for your advices. After discussing with serveral local lawyers, the result is that I still have to go to submit a poly test. It's because the law of the country. Now my poly test will be held next monday, and I have read "The Lie Behind the Lie Detector". Here is what the lawers have told me about the poly test here.

1, The stim test

The polygrapher shows you 5 cards with 1 to 5 on the cards. Then you pick one card, and show the card to him. After that, he will show you the cards from 1 to 5, and ask "Did you pick a #"?  And you will be forced to say "no" for every card. Then he will record the reponds from you for the card you have just picked.

2, Poly Test

The polygrapher will ask your name, age and so on, and record the responds, then he will start to ask you REVELANT QUESTIONS. There will be NO CONTROL QUESTIONS!!!!! So what countermeasures should I use to pass the poly test? 

Actually, I have ordered an basic polygraph machine(electrical devcie) to practice, and I know what they will ask me, but I still feel nervous about the test. What should I do? Can I still use the anal pucker or breathing countermeasures?

Thank you all guys

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #8 - Feb 25th, 2002 at 12:35pm
xpmachina,

I'm a little confused when you say the polygrapher will ask your name, age, and so on and record the responses. Perhaps you meant he will ask irrelevant questions about these? For example:

Is your name xpmachina?

Are you X years old?

If that is the case, then you may be facing a Relevant/Irrelevant "test" rather than the Guilty Knowledge Test. The next edition of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector will include a new sub-section countermeasures for the Relevant/Irrelevant "test," but let me give you the gist of it now.

First, remember at all times that the "test" is an interrogation in disguise, and you are suspected of a crime. The polygrapher is not your friend. He's not there to help you. As they say in America, "anything you say can and will be used against you." If you can do so, I strongly suggest that you have a lawyer with you when you report for your polygraph interrogation.

Second, during the "stim test," you want to produce a large reaction when you say "no" regarding the card that you actually picked. This will make the polygrapher expect to see a large reaction if you lie to a relevant question.

Second, because in the Relevant/Irrelevant technique the polygrapher uses his subjective impression of your honesty in deciding whether you pass or fail, the behavioral countermeasures described in Chapter 4 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector will be of increased importance. It is crucial that you appear honest.

Third, because in the Relevant/Irrelevant technique irrelevant questions are not scored and the polygrapher looks for a consistent, specific, and significant reaction to a relevant question, no matter how the question is worded and no matter what order the question is asked in, you can prevent such a pattern from occurring by artificially creating a reaction to a different relevant question during each question series (that is, each different polygraph chart). However, because of the very high false positive rate that would normally be expected with the Relevant/Irrelevant technique, the behavioral countermeasures described above and your lack of admissions may be enough to get you through the "test."

Fourth, if your polygrapher accuses you of deception, remember that the "test" has no scientific basis whatsoever and don't allow yourself to be lured into a post-test interrogation. Terminate the interrogation and leave.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

New User

Reply #9 - Feb 25th, 2002 at 1:09pm
Dear Geroge, 

Thank you for your advices. And I am still practicing the countermeasures. But I still have some questions about the Relevant/Irrelevant Question.

1. What is the pattern of revelant/irrevelant question set? Is there any control question? 

2. Since I have to strengthen my responds, what is the the timing I should use? You have mentioned that I have to produce differnet readings when in the different series of revelant quetions, but I still can't get it. I mean, the only thing he knows my reponds of cheating is stim test, so I just act normal for every question?

3. I have already asked my lawyer to be with me next Monday, and he will be there with me of course. Thank you for your advice.

I am still a little nervous, and I will try to practice my breathing and anal pucker. Also I will think of things that might make me scared. Also I have some wounds in my feet, I will put tacs slightly on the wounds, and try to touch the wounds when i apply countermeasures, Can that enhance my responds to the polygraph?

Thank you very very much for those who help me alot in the website.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #10 - Feb 25th, 2002 at 10:36pm
xpmachina,

I don't know the answer to your question about question order.

After thinking more about your situation, I believe that if I were in your place, I would not worry about the polygraph charts at all. The whole purpose of the "test" will be an attempt to get a confession from you. Unless polygraph "evidence" is admissible in court in your country (not likely, but check with your lawyer), then it really doesn't matter what your polygrapher may think he sees in the polygraph charts.

The behavioral countermeasures discussed in The Lie Behind the Lie Detector may be helpful, but you might also try the "complete honesty" approach described in Chapter 4. Whatever you decide, I suggest that you discuss it with your lawyer beforehand.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

New User

Reply #11 - Feb 26th, 2002 at 4:49am
Dear Geroge, 

Thank you for your advice. After discussing with my laywer, he told me that the poly in this country is not so advanced, then if I can let myself as relaxed as possible, I might pass. But the reason why I can't use complete honesty policy is that I really don't know anything about that crimial case, but the policemen have assumed that I know everything!!!!! That's why they tried to set me up.

Still I want to use the countermeasures just because I am very easy to get nervous. After reading "The Lie Behind Lie Detector", I think I can tell relevant and irrelevant questions.

But what I want to know is that in revelant/irrevelant question test, what question should I strengthen my responds? Because they still judge you by the chart readings, in addtion to behavioral countermeasures, what kind of readings should I produce to polygrapher?

Thank you very much

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box G Scalabr
Global Moderator

Reply #12 - Feb 26th, 2002 at 6:35am
Quote:
After discussing with my lawyer, he told me that the poly in this country is not so advanced, then if I can let myself as relaxed as possible, I might pass.

The polygraph isn't very advanced in any country. Despite the addition of computers (which only serve to increase the intimidation factor), all polygraphy still operates upon the same set of flawed assumptions from the 1920s.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #13 - Feb 26th, 2002 at 8:44am
xpmachina,

The "complete honesty" approach simply means letting the authorities know that you fully understand that polygraph "testing" is a fraud and that the whole exercise is pointless from the beginning. There may be some legal advantage to doing this (with your lawyer there as a witness).

If the police really believe that you are guilty or otherwise involved, then you run a risk of "failing" the "test" no matter what the polygraph charts look like.

Because of variations in the Relevant/Irrlevant technique (and I am still skeptical as to whether this is indeed the technique that you will encounter), and my lack of familiarity with polygraph techniques as practiced in your country, I really don't feel confident in advising you in this regard.

One factor that seems to be fairly constant in the Relevant/Irrelevant technique as practiced in the United States is that the polygrapher looks for a "consistent, specific, and significant" reaction to a relevant question, no matter how the question is worded and no matter in what order the question is asked. As I mentioned above, such a pattern can be avoided by augmenting one's reactions to a different relevant question during each polygraph chart (which will probably consist of about 10 questions, but could conceivably go on for 15, 25, or even 40 -- even though to my knowledge no polygraph school in the U.S. officially endorses the use of such long question series).

Sometimes, a form of "control" question is asked during a R/I "test." For example, the Keeler Polygraph Institute in Chicago teaches that the "test" should begin with an announcement like, "The test is about to begin." Although this is a statement, not a question, it serves as a sort of "control question" to the extent that the polygrapher expects he might see a reaction to it. A similar announcement is made at the end, "The test is ended" (or words to that effect). Thus, it might be advantageous to someone facing the Keeler R/I technique to create a reaction to the announcement of the beginning and ending of the "test." If one's reactions to the announcements are greater than one's reactions to any of the relevant questions, the polygrapher may be more inclined to decide that the subject is truthful.

Another technique called the General Question Test once taught by the U.S. Department of Defense Polygraph Institute uses "disguised control" questions. The "test" outwardly appears to consist of only relevant and irrelevant questions, but before any true relevant questions are asked, the polygrapher asks something similar to, "Do you intend to answer all questions truthfully?" and at the end the polygrapher asks "Did you lie to me in any way here today?" Reactions to the relevant questions are compared to reactions to these "disguised control" questions. So here, it would be advantageous to aument one's reactions to the "disguised control" questions.

Another technique that is sometimes used is that if the polygrapher sees no reactions to any relevant or irrelevant questions in a series, he will add a surprise probable-lie "control" question to the end of the series, to see if it produces a reaction. If it does, the polygrapher will be more likely to conclude that the examinee was truthful.

I can't predict what variation of the R/I technique you might encounter, and I wouldn't be surprised if you were to be given a regular probable-lie "control" question "test" or even a Guilty Knowledge Test instead .

Again, however you decide to handle this, I suggest you consult with your lawyer.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

New User

Reply #14 - Feb 26th, 2002 at 10:38am
I just give my best appreciation to anyone who helps me.

I have discussed with my lawyer about the "complete honesty" policy, and he said even if I tell the polygrapher I know all the tricks, he will absolutely connect me with the wires and put me on the test. The polygrapher will say "Let's see how much you know about the tricks and how they're gonna work". Because the poly test will be performed by police not DA, so the charts readings are very important to me.

I will follow the rules from "The Lie Behind Lie Detector", here is what I am gonna do.

1. Make NO admissions for any question.

2. Use countermeasures when I go through the "stim test", to make the polygrapher believe that I am a "screamer".

3. Strengthen my responds when I am asked for the irrelevant questions.

Is that the best way to do to beat the poly test? My lawyer told me that if I pass the poly test, I shall not be charged. So I must pass it, please help me.

Thank you very much

IP Logged

Poly in Asian Country

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X