Normal Topic poly results??? (Read 6570 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box anonymous

poly results???
Jan 17th, 2002 at 11:53pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I just recently took the poly and am waiting for the results.  It took about 3 hours with the majority being the pre-interview.  Prior to the poly session, I admitted prior experimentation with marijuana during college (about 8 yrs ago) but also pointed out that I met the agency's drug usage requirements.  Anyways, during the poly, I was given three series of questions with each series having about 8 questions repeated 4 times.  After the first series (security series), the examiner said that I was having reactions but he said we'll discuss it later.  THen came the second series (drug usage questions).  I answered honestly to all questions. This was the end of the second series.  The examiner did not say anything then either so I assumed there was no problem with my answers.  For the third series of questions, I was asked the same general drug usage questions but it was reworded a litlle differently.  After completing that series, the examiner comes over and suddenly begins to remove the sensors and says its done.  He says that he didnn't want to ask me anymore questions because he was getting frustrated with my reactions to the drug usage questions.  Is this the post-interrogation?  Whats interesting is that he never accused me directly of lying and that he never questioned me about other drug usage.  He just said that he was frustrated with the reactions and he didn't know what to make of it, and that there was no point in going on with the test since I'll probably give the same reaction.

The examiner said that he has to re-evaluate the results and HQ gives the final word.  I was being completely honest on the exam and I cannot believe that I reacted to the drug questions.  I wish I had seen the charts.  Should I kiss my conditional appointment and my dreams of becoming a G-man goodbye??  or was the tactic the examiner used just a last minute ploy to see if I was hiding anything??  Or is it the fact that I admitted to experimenting with marijuana that messed up my chances with the poly before it ever began?

Do any of you know of people who have admitted to prior experimentation with drugs (and kept within agency guidelines) and have still been procesed?

frustrated and very depressed

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: poly results???
Reply #1 - Jan 18th, 2002 at 12:20am
I infer that your polygraph interrogation was with a U.S. federal agency.

If your polygrapher scored your charts as "deception indicated," then he gave you a rather milquetoasty post-test interrogation. I suspect that you passed and that his claim that he was "getting frustrated with [your] reactions to the drug usage questions" was simply a last ditch attempt to see if he might perchance get some kind of admission from you. But I cannot be confident about that; you'll have to await further word from the agency with which you applied for employment.

Of course, if your admitted marijuana usage exceeded that allowed by the agency's hiring guidelines (for the FBI, it's 15 times), then the whole polygraph interrogation was a moot exercise from the beginning.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jan 18th, 2002 at 12:26am
Thanks for your quick reply.  FYI, I was well within the agency guidelines and use of any other type of drugs.  And absolutely no sale or even purchase of any type.   I guess I'll just have to wait for the results.

Again, thanks.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jan 18th, 2002 at 5:09am
Just FYI, it was not the FBI.  It was for another agency in a different department.  I am awaiting a poly with the former though.  But if the results are negative, I guess I can kiss that option goodbye based on what I have read so far.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box blade-runner
New User

Reply #4 - Jan 18th, 2002 at 7:31am
Anonymous, 

You did not mention if you disclosed drug usage prior to the polygraph. If on the background forms you did not admit to any drug usage and then during the polygraph you admit to even one time using drugs, you will be bounced out. They consider it an "intregrity issue."   NEVER change your statement. The examiners specifically try to "con" applicants to change their written statements so they can bounce them out. Once you put it in writting, NEVER change your statement and defend what you wrote to the end! 

Of course, if you maintained during the polygraph what you wrote on the background forms you should be okay. Okay is defined as 50/50 shot. Let us know what happens.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jan 18th, 2002 at 8:57pm
Thanks for the reply.  My drug usage history was provided before the polygraph testing.  I stated all relevant security, financial, and past drug usage questions truthfully with the recruiting agent prior to the poly exam.  I answered truthfully and yet, there still seemed to be reservations about my answers as suggested by the examiner.

oh well, I guess I'll just have to wait.  How long does it usually take for the results anyway?

I'll keep u guys posted.

Thanks

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box J.B. McCloughan
Very Senior User

Reply #6 - Jan 19th, 2002 at 7:04am
anonymous,

In your first post you said, "I was given three series of questions with each series having about 8 questions repeated 4 times."  Are you saying the examiner asked you 32 questions on the first chart of the first examination series or that there four separate charts which repeated the same eight questions?

If there were 32 questions asked on one chart, This method would be one that I have never seen nor read about.

Quam verum decipio nos

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jan 21st, 2002 at 8:41pm
there were 3 separate charts with each chart having about 8 questions repeated 4 times.  total of about 24 independent questions. (96 total).

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box towanda

Reply #8 - Oct 21st, 2008 at 3:04pm
Hi,

I took my poly on Monday the 13th, it's now the 21st.  

It was a different poly than the ones I’ve read about.  We went through 14 questions, basically the ones the BI went over with me the day prior.  Answered, then he strapped me in and asked me 14 "no" questions, like “were you untruthful about your police experience..." etc...covering all we talked about.  He did that twice.  Then unhooked me and said he'll let my BI know I was there and my BI will "let me know if i need to do anything else".  

Didn't tell me if i passed or failed.  Waiting on bated breath to see if i passed, I emailed my BI but no word.

I got really nervous as soon as he strapped me in!  I didn’t lie, however, I just got done telling him things about myself that only me know, so as soon as I was strapped in, I was a wreck!  I didn't get the feeling I passed...

Do you think I passed since there was no follow-up questioning?  Or since I haven’t heard anything…maybe not?

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #9 - Oct 21st, 2008 at 3:14pm
Quote:
Do you think I passed since there was no follow-up questioning?Or since I haven’t heard anything…maybe not?

When a polygrapher scores the polygraph charts as "deception indicated" (that is, the examinee has "failed"), it is standard procedure to interrogate the examinee in an attempt to get an admission. Based on your account, it seems likely (but not certain) that you passed.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Towanda

Reply #10 - Oct 22nd, 2008 at 10:02pm
Awesome, makes me feel better...I'll let you know... but man, I got SO nervous, I kept trying to zone out but it didnt work.  I was nervous about getting back to work, what to tell the person whome I just told this guy about... etc... nothing that SHOULD keep me from getting the job, but it was a secret for that person... but during a BI, would probably get found out.  

Anyways, thanks again.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box gtstang99g

Reply #11 - Oct 23rd, 2008 at 12:51am
same happened to me

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Towanda

Reply #12 - Oct 23rd, 2008 at 5:53pm
Did you pass?

IP Logged

poly results???

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X