Normal Topic how did I do? (Read 3374 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box sssss5
New User

how did I do?
Dec 17th, 2001 at 12:31am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
???

Took a poly a week ago for a fed agency (don't want to say which until I get the result - should be in a week oor two).  I was nervous, and really put myself under a lot of stress.  I had taken one before, and didn't pass. I didn't prepare at all for this one either (by learning countrmeasures, etc...I never really saw this site until after the exam).  Anyway, I thought I did well, despite being so nervous.  The guy giving me the test, said I had some problems with some of the questions in the first test (Nat'l security test).  He said that my answers to questions concerning "breaking the trust of someone," and breaking "rules and regulations" were the only problems in that test, and that he was going to ask me those again in the second test.  Did those sound like control questions?  I was asked them during the second test (drugs, crime, info on my applicaton, etc).

After the exam, he reviewed my charts, and asked if there was anything else I wanted to add.  He said I had showed a "response" or "reaction" to questions on: drug use (I said "no" to ever trying or expeimenting);  felonies (did I ever commit a felony?...I said "no"); and rules and regulations (did I ever break rules and regulations in my current job (again, I said "no").  I told him that I didn't have any explanation, and that I didn't know what to say.  He asked me to think of something...I couldn't think of any reason, then he handed me thress affadavits, and had me write a response to each of those areas on the exam.

What am I to make of all of this?  Wouldn't a question on rules and regulations most likely be a control question?  Why would I have to write about it then?  Is it normal to have to write an affadavit like I did?  Does it sound like I passed, or not?   

Like I said, I felt good after the test - until he told me about my "reactions," or whatever.  I felt like crap after hearing that...  I didn't lie about anything.  I was very honest...I almost feel funny saying that, b/c of saying "no" to drug use (feel "Guilty" is a better way of saying it, since it's assumed that everybody under 40 has done drugs at least once in their lives - a belief which is false - I do know others - not many -but others who have never done drugs.).  Anyway, it sucked, and I felt like a criminal after... 

Any feedback at all would be appreciated...by anybody.

Thanks

sssss5

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Re: how did I do?
Reply #1 - Dec 17th, 2001 at 1:22am
sssss5,

The questions about breaking someone's trust and violating rules and regulations were indeed probable-lie "control" questions.

Based on your account, I can't say with any confidence whether you "passed" or "failed," but the fact that your polygrapher had you prepare a written statement regarding each area about which he accused you of showing a "response" during the polygraph interrogation is not an encouraging sign.

I suggest that you take a look at the tips on appealing a false positive outcome described in Chapter 5 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector and prepare yourself for the worst.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box sssss5
New User

Reply #2 - Dec 17th, 2001 at 1:47am
It's me again.  Thanks for the reply.  If that was in fact a control question/probable liequestion, as I am now learning, why would he make me write an affadavit to explain my "reaction" or "response" to it?  If thequestion is irrelaveant, than why have me do that?  Was he just bluffing?  As I said, I wote three separate afadavits, as my rebuttal o the three areas in which I showed a "response".

Thanks again...wish I had visited this site 2 weks ago...beofre my poly.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Dec 17th, 2001 at 1:58am
sssss5,

As a preliminary matter, note that probable-lie "control" questions are not the same as irrelevant questions. Although polygraphers assume that all subjects will answer probable-lie "control" questions with less-than-complete honesty, admissions with regard to such questions may nonetheless be disqualifying. Your signed statements, or affidavits (as you termed them), may be construed as admissions/confessions to behavior that would disqualify you from employment

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box J.B. McCloughan
Very Senior User

Reply #4 - Dec 17th, 2001 at 4:53pm
sssss5,

George hit the nail on the head with his last post to you.  The comparison questions are similar in nature to the relevant.  In a pre-employment screening test both the comparison and relevant are not known with a confident degree of certainty.  So, a response on a comparison could be related to a relevant issue.  This is one area, given the scoring citeria of polygraph, that could be argued against a pre-employment screening exam validity.

Quam verum decipio nos

IP Logged

how did I do?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X