Normal Topic police employment poly (Read 4888 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Homeo
New User

police employment poly
Oct 30th, 2001 at 10:48pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
Well,  I just took the polygraph "test" for a local PD.  This was my third polygragh I've taken, all within a year.  The first was inconclusive and the second I passed.  This was 9 months later for a different department.

The detective told me that I would answer the questions twice, possibly a third time if necessary.  After completing the questions the second time he said we were finished.  He said "I'll turn the results over to the HR department and they will make the final decision."  I said "I passed right?" and he said "I don't know, you tell me."  Which I said "of course I passed" which he responded "well... let me walk you out". 

My question is what do you think this means?  There was no post-interview of any kind.  Do you think if I failed he would have told me, or questioned me a little bit?  I think if I passed he should have told me.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box beech trees
God Member

Re: police employment poly
Reply #1 - Oct 31st, 2001 at 4:49am
Homeo wrote on Oct 30th, 2001 at 10:48pm:

Well,  I just took the polygraph "test" for a local PD.  This was my third polygragh I've taken, all within a year.  The first was inconclusive and the second I passed.  This was 9 months later for a different department.

Question for you, if I may: Did your most recent polygraph interrogator ask you about previous polygraphs? If so, how did he react when you told him you'd been tested before?

Quote:
The detective told me that I would answer the questions twice, possibly a third time if necessary.  After completing the questions the second time he said we were finished.

Did he give you a Stim Test, aka 'acquaintance test'?

Quote:
He said "I'll turn the results over to the HR department and they will make the final decision."  I said "I passed right?" and he said "I don't know, you tell me."  Which I said "of course I passed" which he responded "well... let me walk you out".

That's a comforting response, isn't it? "I don't know..."

Quote:
My question is what do you think this means?  There was no post-interview of any kind.  Do you think if I failed he would have told me, or questioned me a little bit?  I think if I passed he should have told me.

My own experience, as well as just about every anecdote on these boards, indicate that with just two run throughs (the usual bare minimum) and no post-test interrogation, you stand a very high probability of being deemed 'NDI'. Congrats.

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government." ~ Thomas Paine

IP Logged

New User

Reply #2 - Oct 31st, 2001 at 6:51pm
The officer did ask me if I've taken polys before and when I told him twice before and told him of the outcomes he didn't seem to care much.  No other questions were asked about it.

He did give me the stim test.  Asked me if I lived in certain states.  He had me lie once and then tell the truth.  But he didn't say anything about being a "screamer", though.

When I asked him if I passed and he said "I don't know, you tell me", it was almost sarcastic.  I told him the truth, but was admittedly very conscious of my heart rate and breathing.  I'm not sure if I seemed nervous when answering the questions or not.  After reading THE LIE BEHIND THE LIE DETECTOR I was one step ahead of him.  I didn't employ countermeasures (because I've passed before without them) but I was catagorizing each question and anticipated them.

Thanks for the replies.  I'll let you know when I find out.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #3 - Nov 14th, 2001 at 8:10pm
Well, I received a phone call from the police agency saying they want me to move on to the background check.  So I'm guessing this means I passed the Polygraph.  Thanks for all the help by writing THE LIE BEHIND THE LIE DETECTOR.  I didn't lie, but I does help knowing what to expect when one goes in for a polygraph "test".  The officer giving my test explained how it worked verbatim the way you describe in your book.  I almost laughed at how predictable he was.  "And your body doesn't know the difference between a little lie and a big one."  I almost finished his sentences for him.

thanks again!!

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box justwondering

Re: police employment poly-passed it!
Reply #4 - Dec 14th, 2001 at 1:35am
Just found out I passed the ploy, as well as psych for local PD. I was given the standard treatment as per the "Lie Behind..." The book was on the money the whole way. I had never taken the test before, and was worried about the whole deal. I work as a full time Firefighter/Paramedic, took the test for a "Reserve Officer" position. All of the questions generally followed the book, but I was given the "firefighter" battery of questions, not police questions (who knows why? ). I have years of practice in controling breathing, minimizing stress response. I locked onto one position on the wall, monitored breathing, as well as time from question asked, to answer. Also kept voice timber and volume constant. At all times I kept a frontal, upright, open posture. No grooming signals, or nervous chatter. Arrived early, studied a copy of my application that was submitted earlier to make sure all answers match.
    When asked about my knowledge of the poly, I stated that several police friends told me to "relax, and just tell the truth". I was given a "stim test", then two batteries of questions. No follow up interogation. I thanked the polygraph examiner, shook hands, smiled and walked out without asking if I had passed. The "lie behind.." is the single best text I have ever read. Hope this helps.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box SUPERMAN
New User

Reply #5 - Dec 19th, 2001 at 8:12am
Yes it has helped, i go in soon and will prob go with your approach, thanks for the advice.
SUPERMAN

"all men are created equal, and then the rest become law enforcement officers"

IP Logged

New User

Reply #6 - Dec 26th, 2001 at 11:29pm
I just finished the final stage.  A "medical polygraph" to see if I have any medical problems.  The detective did the number preparatory routine on me.  "Select a number and write it down."  then "boy you can't lie at all".  Oh, well.  Right after I was finished they began issuing me some uniforms and gear.  Whatever it takes!!

I'll tell everyone, polygraphs are less stressing if one knows THE LIE BEHIND THE LIE DETECTOR.  No surprises!!

thanks

IP Logged

police employment poly

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X