Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Why fear the polygraph? (Read 19051 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box thevet2
Ex Member

Re: Why fear the polygraph?
Reply #15 - Mar 31st, 2005 at 11:45pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
I have printed out the lie behind the lie detector.  I cannot respond at this time, lots of reading material.  Once completed I will try to respond in a sensible manner.  I did look on this site and find several studies reported to validate the polygraph, and have not had time to read those either.  May be I will support your conclusions.  Have to do a lot of reading first and have limited time.  Thanks for the advice.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box checking
New User

Reply #16 - Apr 1st, 2005 at 2:17am
Good luck on reading that material.  Very exaustive, I would suggest that you also get some pro polygraph materials to make it fair and balanced.  George seems to be very vindictive regarding any pro polygraph materials.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polyfool
Especially Senior User

Reply #17 - Apr 1st, 2005 at 4:39am
thevet2,

You might also want to check out the 2002 National Academy of Sciences report regarding government use of pre-employment polygraph screening. It's an independent, unbiased scientific study--also found on this site or through any search engine. Be leery of studies funded by the polygraph community--nothing but propaganda to further this junk science. Always consider the source--ask yourself what the entity has to gain from the study? You shouldn't feel bad about not knowing much about this invalid testing procedure. I didn't either until I took a poly, told the truth and failed. I would say most people, until they know better, believe the polygraph is accurate.
« Last Edit: Apr 2nd, 2005 at 12:50am by polyfool »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Administrator
Administrator

Caveat Lector
Reply #18 - Apr 1st, 2005 at 8:39am
Posts in this message thread by "thevet2" and "checking" originated from the same IP address, indicating that they were written by a single author. It seems we have here yet another frightened polygrapher forging posts in an effort to disinform visitors to this website. This is curious behavior coming from a member of a profession that purports to be "Dedicated to Truth" (American Polygraph Association motto).

Other polygraphers who have played similar games include:

AnalSphincter/LoopyLuWho

usarmyofficer2004

PolySucks/Cancerman

Policeman

nopoly/POLYSCORE

Zena/Boy_Wonder
« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2005 at 10:00am by Administrator »  

AntiPolygraph.org Administrator
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nunyun
Very Senior User

Reply #19 - Apr 3rd, 2005 at 9:56pm
checking wrote on Apr 1st, 2005 at 2:17am:
Good luck on reading that material.  Very exaustive, I would suggest that you also get some pro polygraph materials to make it fair and balanced.  George seems to be very vindictive regarding any pro polygraph materials.  

At least here ALL are welcome to post their views either for or against the poly.  Here they can slam the posters against (including George) or slam the examiners.  Unlike the "pro poly" sites where you would be banned if you disagreed with their views.
Just one example of things that make you go Hmmmm.

How come both sides can post here but only one side can post on the other? ??? 

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box nunyun
Very Senior User

Re: Caveat Lector
Reply #20 - Apr 3rd, 2005 at 9:59pm
Quote:
Posts in this message thread by "thevet2" and "checking" originated from the same IP address, indicating that they were written by a single author. It seems we have here yet another frightened polygrapher forging posts in an effort to disinform visitors to this website. This is curious behavior coming from a member of a profession that purports to be "Dedicated to Truth" (American Polygraph Association motto).

Other polygraphers who have played similar games include:

AnalSphincter/LoopyLuWho

usarmyofficer2004

PolySucks/Cancerman

Policeman

nopoly/POLYSCORE

Zena/Boy_Wonder

Was just re-reading the thread and saw your monitor note....

It does not surprise me, they have been doing that for a while.

I have not been around for a while just checking in...

Good job on the monitoring Wink  Now I don't have to bother replying to the monkey with the wrench.....

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polypasser1231
New User

Reply #21 - May 14th, 2005 at 9:57pm
I recently took a polygraph for employment with the FBI. I saw this site prior to taking the exam. I took my exam, and Passed. I was completely honest, and didn't have any problems answering the examiners questions. The questions were thoroughly explained, and each part of the exam was conducted in a professional manner. I am NOT an examiner, but after my experience with the polygraph, I must admit that it is not something to be worried about. I was extremely nervous about taking it as I had never done it before. Perhaps I was simply someone that the "good ole boys" that I've seen mentioned on this site wanted to join their organization, but to me, I believe honesty + a seasoned, professional examiner will result in success. 

Polypasser

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box anxietyguy
Very Senior User

Reply #22 - May 14th, 2005 at 10:34pm
Unless your the other 50% (I find it hard to believe that 50% of people that take the poly for the FBI are being deceptive) that fail the poly for the FBI. Do a seach and read some of the horror stories. Yes honesty is the best policy, but guess what sometimes that is not enough.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box polyfool
Especially Senior User

Reply #23 - May 15th, 2005 at 1:37am
Polypasser:

I am glad that you did not have a bad experience with the polygraph unlike the countless others who have posted otherwise on this site. If I had sailed through my poly after telling the truth, I would still think they work, too. However, the truth is, they do not work.

I thought honesty was the best policy before I took an FBI polygraph. As far as "professional" examiners are concerned, I don't know about that as I've never encountered one.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Jeffery
Very Senior User

Reply #24 - May 15th, 2005 at 3:29am
polypasser1231 wrote on May 14th, 2005 at 9:57pm:
I recently took a polygraph for employment with the FBI. I saw this site prior to taking the exam. I took my exam, and Passed. I was completely honest, and didn't have any problems answering the examiners questions. The questions were thoroughly explained, and each part of the exam was conducted in a professional manner. I am NOT an examiner, but after my experience with the polygraph, I must admit that it is not something to be worried about. I was extremely nervous about taking it as I had never done it before. Perhaps I was simply someone that the "good ole boys" that I've seen mentioned on this site wanted to join their organization, but to me, I believe honesty + a seasoned, professional examiner will result in success. 

Polypasser

Were you asked if you researched the polygraph prior?  Were you honest with that question?

IP Logged

New User

Reply #25 - May 15th, 2005 at 5:36am
No, I was not asked whether I had researched the polygraph or not, simply whether I had been through one before.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Bill Crider
Very Senior User

Reply #26 - May 16th, 2005 at 3:20pm
well, poly, i was in the same boat as you and I failed 4 straight FBI exams. I am glad you passed but I think a lot of people are being incorrectly denied employment for which they qualify.

IP Logged

New User

Reply #27 - May 17th, 2005 at 11:55pm
I would have to agree. I don't believe it's that fair, I was simply lucky that the machine found me to be honest. I didn't have anything to hide, but I'm sure if circumstances were changed only slightly (i.e. diff. examiner) it may have been different (that shouldn't be the case though). 

-polypasser

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box ThePeaceMaker12
User

Reply #28 - May 23rd, 2005 at 4:05am
thevet2 wrote on Mar 30th, 2005 at 4:29am:
You assume that I lucked out?  How about I told the truth and passed.  This forum seems somewhat skewed and not sure that is total truth.  I do sympathize with those who have told the truth and then been accused of lying.  I would be angry if that happened to me I am sure.  To say that all polygraph examiners are liars and are out to get you would be false also.  The examiners I have delt with are good men and have good morals.  I do see them  on occassion one on one and find them to be good men.  Again, I am sure there are bad examiners and I have also encountered bad police officers.  I would be out of my mind to suppose that all police officers are crooks because of a minority and I believe we are talking about a minority of polygraph examiners that are "Bad Apples".  

So, if the polygraph is so good and so accurate, why is it inadmissable in a court of law?  Surely, if the polygraph is as accurate and as good as you claim it to be, then a court of law would have no problems whatsoever in allowing the results of a polygraph exam as evidence in a court of law, would you think?  Or is it because a court of law knows that the polygraph isn't as accurate and good as you claim it to be and because as such, makes polygraph results inadmissable as evidence.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Sergeant1107
God Member

Reply #29 - Jun 25th, 2005 at 5:48pm
It’s interesting to me that whenever someone reports that they were 100% honest and “passed” their polygraph, the pro-polygraph community often professes belief in and endorses their story.  That person is assumed to be truthful and their story is then held up as an example of why the polygraph is such a useful tool.   

However, whenever someone claims they were 100% honest and “failed” their polygraph, they are often accused of withholding information, or attempting countermeasures, or outright deception.

If one is trying to determine the value of something, it seems clear that you would have to consider all the available evidence in order to render a fair judgment.  Selecting the evidence that agrees with your opinion and disregarding any evidence that doesn’t is patently ridiculous.   

Aside from variations of the “you must have had a bad/unprofessional examiner” response no one in the pro-polygraph community seems willing to even attempt to address the ever-growing amount of anecdotal evidence that examinees can be 100% truthful in every aspect and still “fail” their polygraph examination.   Why is that?   

Any response by a polygraph examiner would be appreciated.

Lorsque vous utilisez un argumentum ad hominem, tout le monde sait que vous êtes intellectuellement faillite.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
ReplyAdd Poll Send TopicPrint
Why fear the polygraph?

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X