Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) DOD Polygraphs (Read 25242 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Anonymous

DOD Polygraphs
Jul 6th, 2002 at 7:39pm
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
My understanding is that most DOD polygraphs are of the Test for Espionage and Sabotage variety.  My question is this; Do DOD Law Enforcement Agencies (CID, OSI, NCIS) use the TES format for prescreening applicants or do they use the more invasive polygraphs used by other federal law enforcement agencies, or CIA, or NSA?

IP Logged

Re: DOD Polygraphs
Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2002 at 11:20pm
Hello???? Does anyone know the answer to my previous question???? Angry

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #2 - Jul 9th, 2002 at 2:59pm
Anonymous,

I don't know the answer to your question, and don't presently have the time to research the topic, but you might start by consulting DoD Directive 5210.48, Department of Defense Polygraph Program, and Army  Regulation 195-6, Department of the Army Polygraph Activities (1.5 mb scanned PDF).

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jul 11th, 2002 at 6:14pm
George,

Take no offense to this, but I find it very disturbing that YOU do not know the answer to my previous question! After all, you are the "guru" when it comes to writing holistic books about polygraphs and how to beat them.  It seems to me that most of the people who visit this site are interested in going into law enforcement and we know that almost all federal law enforcement polygraphers are trained by the Department of Defense... I think that knowing the types of polygraphs that DOD sanctions for it's own Law Enforcement agencies is extremely relevant. Additionally, from what I've seen on the net, it appears that the DOD has different polygraph requirements for civilians than it does for members of the military, this to me sounds like it could be indicative of unequal treatment of civilian employees and applicants. Angry

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #4 - Jul 11th, 2002 at 6:57pm
Anonymous,

No offense taken. I don't profess to be a "guru" or to have any special authority on polygraph matters. Nor is The Lie Behind the Lie Detector a particularly "holistic" book. What Gino Scalabrini and I have written is based on our research and analysis, and we provide references that the reader can check.

The scope of any polygraph examinations required of applicants for DoD law enforcement agencies is indeed of interest; it's simply a matter I haven't researched in the past (and don't at the moment have the time to look into). While I suspect that the scope of such polygraph examinations would be broader than the TES, and also include questions about illegal drug use and other crimes, I don't know that to be the case. If you discover any information on this topic, I hope you'll consider sharing it here.

With regard to unequal treatment of civilian versus military personnel by DoD, what kinds of things are you referring to?

George W. Maschke
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Drew Richardson
Especially Senior User

Reply #5 - Jul 11th, 2002 at 6:57pm
Anonymous,

There is no reason that George should know the answer to your question.  That which DoD does regarding its various sub-agency polygraph programs is subject to day to day changes, is in part classified, and has been made difficult to obtain in a timely fashion through various established discovery procedures, i.e. FOIPA requests, etc.  Assuming your request to be genuine and you to be intellectually honest, you should be able to verify the aforementioned quite easily.

Drew Richardson
« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2002 at 7:58pm by Drew Richardson »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box beech trees
God Member

Reply #6 - Jul 11th, 2002 at 7:04pm
From the above cited sources:

4.4. No relevant question may be asked during the polygraph examination that has not been reviewed with the examinee before the examination. Moreover, all questions asked concerning the matter at issue, other than technical questions necessary to the polygraph technique, must have a special relevance to the subject of the inquiry. The probing of a person's thoughts or beliefs and questions about conduct that has no security implication or is not directly relevant to an investigation are prohibited (such as religious beliefs and affiliations, beliefs and opinions regarding racial matters, and political beliefs and affiliations of a lawful nature).

It would seem to me that regardless of the type of polygraph exam, having a thorough understanding of how polygraphs work, an understand of and an ease with countermeasures, as well as knowledge beforehand of all relevant questions to be posed would make passing a simple thing.

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government." ~ Thomas Paine

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jul 11th, 2002 at 11:09pm
George,

DOD polygraph program regulations states:

C1.3. INVESTIGATIVE CASES FOR WHICH THE POLYGRAPH SHALL BE USED
C1.3.1. Employment, Assignment, or Detail to NSA. Polygraph examination shall
be required for DoD civilian, military, contractor, and General Service Administration
(GSA) personnel to assist in determining their eligibility for initial or continued
employment, assignment, or detail for duty with NSA in activities that require access to
sensitive cryptologic information, or to spaces where sensitive cryptologic information
is produced, processed, or stored. In the case of military personnel being assigned or
detailed for duty with NSA, the scope of such examinations shall be limited to the
counterintelligence topics prescribed in Appendix 2 of this Regulation.

As you can see, Polygraphs for Military personnel assigned to NSA are limited to Counterintelligence topics, while I know for a fact, that Civilians and Contractors that work hand with these Military Personnel are required to under go a "Lifestyle" polygraph even if they are prior military.

Secondly, I know that Air Force members assigned as agents with OSI and Navy and Marine Corps personnel assigned as agents with NCIS only need to undergo a TES... I'm not sure, and I don't think, this applies to civilian agents.

A quick note to BeeTrees:
I personally think preemployment polygraphs are wrong because the government puts too much faith in them. I truly believe there use should be forbidden. BUT, I don't support the promotion of the use of Countermeasures in any way because in order to use countermeasures, one MUST lie. Standard and possible questions during a pre-test and a polygraph include: 
1. Do you intend to tell me the truth during this interview.
2. What do you know about polygraphs.
3. What do you know about countermeasures
etc.

If one intends to employ countermeasures, it is obvious that he or she must lie to the types of questions above.  As you well know, lying on a government security forms or interviews is a violation of Title 18 USC 1001 - this is a felony! So if you didn't previously have to lie to the question about serious crime, you would have to after employing countermeasures. Secondly, although I'm sure countermeasures work, I'm also sure that the lay untrained person can't just use them without any problems - if this was true, nobody would be flunking polygraphs.  So, although I think you mean well, I think that by pushing the use of countermeasures you might be sending some individuals to certain doom.  I know this, most adjudicators are pretty forgiving of past transgressions, even semi-serious ones if they didn't occur recently, but one thing that will almost always lead to the denial of a clearance is any evidence of willful falsification or omission.

Let's fight these stupid government policies, but lets not do it through supporting illegal means. Just my opinion.

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #8 - Jul 11th, 2002 at 11:40pm
Anonymous,

Thanks for sharing the above thoughts. I was especially interested in 18 USC 1001, which you mentioned. I hadn't heard of it before, but found and read the following article about this law:

http://profs.lp.findlaw.com/collar/collar_8.html

At first glance, it appears that you are correct, and that to employ countermeasures but falsely deny it would constitute a violation of 18 USC 1001. (It is doubtful, though, that a federal prosecutor would be able to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that a violation had occurred, absent an admission or confession.)

A case might just as well be made against, say, all FBI applicants, employees, suspects, and witnesses who pass a probable-lie "control" question "test." They are all assumed by the Bureau to have been less than truthful with regard to their responses to the probable-lie "control" questions. However, any such lies might not be considered "material" within the meaning of 18 USC 1001.

Personally, I think the use of countermeasures by truthful persons is ethically justified under the circumstances: in relying on polygraph screening, the U.S. Government is committing a fraud against all "tested." However, the "complete honesty" alternative we suggest in Chapter 4 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector (with the concomitant risk of retaliation) is also available.
« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2002 at 11:57pm by George W. Maschke »  

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Mark Mallah
Very Senior User

Reply #9 - Jul 12th, 2002 at 1:50am
Just a clarifying point, answering a question truthfully while contracting a muscle (whether it's the anal sphincter or an arm muscle) is not lying.  You just happen to be contracting a muscle while stating the truth.  Admittedly, someone practicing countermeasures would be cornered into a lie if asked whether they are employing countermeasures, and answered no.  I believe that such a lie would be considered material under 18 USC 1001.

As I understand your position George, it amounts to civil disobedience, correct?  In other words, while practicing countermeasures may very well constitute a violation of 18 USC 1001, such violation is ethically justified in light of the fraud that is the polygraph.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Skeptic
God Member

Reply #10 - Jul 12th, 2002 at 2:49am
Quote:

I personally think preemployment polygraphs are wrong because the government puts too much faith in them. I truly believe there use should be forbidden. BUT, I don't support the promotion of the use of Countermeasures in any way because in order to use countermeasures, one MUST lie. Standard and possible questions during a pre-test and a polygraph include: 
etc.

If one intends to employ countermeasures, it is obvious that he or she must lie to the types of questions above.  As you well know, lying on a government security forms or interviews is a violation of Title 18 USC 1001 - this is a felony! So if you didn't previously have to lie to the question about serious crime, you would have to after employing countermeasures. Secondly, although I'm sure countermeasures work, I'm also sure that the lay untrained person can't just use them without any problems - if this was true, nobody would be flunking polygraphs.  So, although I think you mean well, I think that by pushing the use of countermeasures you might be sending some individuals to certain doom.  I know this, most adjudicators are pretty forgiving of past transgressions, even semi-serious ones if they didn't occur recently, but one thing that will almost always lead to the denial of a clearance is any evidence of willful falsification or omission.

Let's fight these stupid government policies, but lets not do it through supporting illegal means. Just my opinion.

There are two problems with the above reasoning, as I see it.

The first is that polygraph screening is inherently designed as a legal catch-22.  It is fully expected that subjects will lie on the polygraph -- in fact, it is theoretically necessary (according to polygraph theory, anyway) that one violate the above statute in order to pass the polygraph.  And if one knows how the polygraph works (knowledge that's not hard to come by, there days), one generally must lie about countermeasures knowledge in order to pass the polygraph.

The second is that I believe this is a case wherein there is a disconnect between the law and what is right.  I believe the evidence supports the notion that the polygraph is detrimental to national security, both because it allows dishonest people through and because it disqualifies honest, loyal and qualified applicants from which national security interests would benefit immeasurably.  Thus, while it may be true that lying about countermeasures technically violates the law, the polygraph screening process itself is ethically berift and, for that matter, violates the spirit of the Constitution, which is arguably the highest law in the land.

I believe the second point is consistent with Mr. Mallah's "civil disobedience" notion, above.

Skeptic
« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2002 at 3:08am by Skeptic »  

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box beech trees
God Member

Reply #11 - Jul 12th, 2002 at 4:02am
Quote:
etc.

If one intends to employ countermeasures, it is obvious that he or she must lie to the types of questions above.  As you well know, lying on a government security forms or interviews is a violation of Title 18 USC 1001 - this is a felony!

Anonymous,

Thanks for your reply. Food for thought/possible response on your part:

1. If we are to correctly and strictly interpret Title 18 USC 1001, then your polygraph interrogator is guilty of multiple felonies every time they polygraph a Federal government employee-- be it counterintelligence or criminal-specific in scope, they are still lying to and making false assertions about the nature of polygraphy as well as its accuracy many times over during each phase of a polygraph interrogation.

2. Consider that in a Constitutionally-limited form of government, the awesome scope of Title 18 USC 1001 is quite clearly un-Constitutional in a myriad of ways. Any law which is repugnant to the highest law of the land-- the U.S. Constitution-- is null and void.

Quote:
So if you didn't previously have to lie to the question about serious crime, you would have to after employing countermeasures. Secondly, although I'm sure countermeasures work, I'm also sure that the lay untrained person can't just use them without any problems - if this was true, nobody would be flunking polygraphs.  So, although I think you mean well, I think that by pushing the use of countermeasures you might be sending some individuals to certain doom.  I know this, most adjudicators are pretty forgiving of past transgressions, even semi-serious ones if they didn't occur recently, but one thing that will almost always lead to the denial of a clearance is any evidence of willful falsification or omission. Let's fight these stupid government policies, but lets not do it through supporting illegal means. Just my opinion.

I am a lay person, and with a little effort and a bit of moxy successfully passed my polygraph interrogation using countermeasures.

The ethics of lying is tangential to polygraphy (seeing as polygraphers expect you to lie during the course of a polygraph) and perhaps a topic for another discussion thread, but I am quite comfortable having deceived my deceivers.
« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2002 at 3:14pm by beech trees »  

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government." ~ Thomas Paine

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Jul 12th, 2002 at 7:20am
Dear friends,

To further cover the point about Title 18 USC 1001 let me state this, you may call it civil disobedience or whatever you like, but this is a binding law that has teeth. If you fill out the SF-86 (form for national security positions), have an interview as part of your background check, or yes, undergo a federal preemployment polygraph, you are not only subject to Title 18, but you are also adviced to the fact that you are Subject to it.

If you think this is a law that is just taken lightly, I just ask you to consider the Forest Service employee involved in starting all the fires in Colorado... The first thing she was charged with was a violation of Title 18 for turning in a false report.  This offense is punishable by up to a $10,000 fine and five years in prison.

Secondly, and more pertinent to the question of whether one should lie or not on the polygraph or any other part of an investigation  is Guideline E of the Adjudicative Guidelines used by agencies throughout the federal government: 
http://www.fas.org/sgp/spb/class.htm

If you notice, this guideline is the only guideline that may require disqualification of an individual seeking a security clearance.  Take it from me gents, the government does not kid around when it comes to falsification issues.  If fact, if you read any appeal decisions concerning denied clearances you will often find that individuals were denied clearances simply because they had lied about information, that in of itself, would have not disqualified them.

Again, I want to stress that I hate polygraphs and I do think, that because of how they're being abused, they should be banned. I do however disagree with some of the things said on this website, like in every aspect of life, the truth can be found somewhere between the middle of the two opposing opinions:

1.  The point that polygraphers expect you to LIE to control questions is not necessary true.  The only expectation is that you have a significant response to these questions.  For example, if a question such as: Have you ever lied to anyone you love, is asked, the idea is that even after you admit all the times you remember having to a loved one, you will still be nervous about the question and therefore have a significant response. A polygrapher would definitely expect you to admit to any serious lie, i.e. having been involved in a crime, adultery, etc.

2.  I do believe polygraphs detect deception and so do you!  The fact is polygraphs detect bodily reactions and Lying does cause the body to react.  Even countermeasures prove this point... The countermeasures advocated on this site suggest one produce a more significant response to control questions in order to minimize the significance of any reaction to revelant question. The problem with the polygraph is the LYING is not the only thing that can cause significant responses.  I would have no problem with the polygraph if they were really used how they are supposed to be used - as an investigative aid to direct investigations. Unfortunately, many agencies put too much faith in the polygraph and many people end up getting hurt.

3.  We as Americans have the right to disagree with, protest, and attempt to change laws, but we should not merely decide to ignore laws when they don't conform to our agendas.

4. I think that the endless argument over the validity of the polygraph is a lost cause.  Unfortunately for us, the general public is under the misconception that polygraphs are infalliable and no politician, especially after Sep 11, would in his right mind advocate the end of polygraphs in security investigations base on their validity.  As I've stated before, we must turn to fight to an argument about: 1. How the government selectively uses polygraphs... i.e. us scrubs on the bottom of the barrel are required to undergo polygraphs, but politicians and powerful government officials are not. 2. We have to promote studies to show that polygraphs have not diminished the number of incidents of misconduct in the government. 3. We have to demand that if polygraphs are to be used, which they will be, they should only be used as a tool and not as an executioner.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Skeptic
God Member

Reply #13 - Jul 12th, 2002 at 7:52am

Quote:

Dear friends,

To further cover the point about Title 18 USC 1001 let me state this, you may call it civil disobedience or whatever you like, but this is a binding law that has teeth. If you fill out the SF-86 (form for national security positions), have an interview as part of your background check, or yes, undergo a federal preemployment polygraph, you are not only subject to Title 18, but you are also adviced to the fact that you are Subject to it.

If you think this is a law that is just taken lightly, I just ask you to consider the Forest Service employee involved in starting all the fires in Colorado... The first thing she was charged with was a violation of Title 18 for turning in a false report.  This offense is punishable by up to a $10,000 fine and five years in prison.

Secondly, and more pertinent to the question of whether one should lie or not on the polygraph or any other part of an investigation  is Guideline E of the Adjudicative Guidelines used by agencies throughout the federal government: 
http://www.fas.org/sgp/spb/class.htm

If you notice, this guideline is the only guideline that may require disqualification of an individual seeking a security clearance.  Take it from me gents, the government does not kid around when it comes to falsification issues.  If fact, if you read any appeal decisions concerning denied clearances you will often find that individuals were denied clearances simply because they had lied about information, that in of itself, would have not disqualified them.

Anonymous,
I have absolutely no doubt that the above is true, but it simply does not address the dichotomy, in this case, between what is legal and what is right.

I would never advocate that anyone go around lying about just anything, and especially not in order to get a security clearance.  However, I think lying about one's knowledge of countermeasures is not lying about "just anything".  In fact, given polygraphers' documented propensities, I would submit such lying is essentially necessary if one is familar with how the polygraph works and still wishes to pass one.  And this is to say nothing about the dreadful ethics and wrong-headedness involved in all aspects of polygraph screening itself.

Quote:

Again, I want to stress that I hate polygraphs and I do think, that because of how they're being abused, they should be banned. I do however disagree with some of the things said on this website, like in every aspect of life, the truth can be found somewhere between the middle of the two opposing opinions:

1.  The point that polygraphers expect you to LIE to control questions is not necessary true.  The only expectation is that you have a significant response to these questions.  For example, if a question such as: Have you ever lied to anyone you love, is asked, the idea is that even after you admit all the times you remember having to a loved one, you will still be nervous about the question and therefore have a significant response. A polygrapher would definitely expect you to admit to any serious lie, i.e. having been involved in a crime, adultery, etc.

I believe the above would be an absolute best-case scenario.  However, I would submit that, in most cases, it is far more likely that most applicants are deliberately and knowingly steered into outright "minor lies" by the polygrapher's words and actions.

Quote:

2.  I do believe polygraphs detect deception and so do you!  The fact is polygraphs detect bodily reactions and Lying does cause the body to react.  Even countermeasures prove this point... The countermeasures advocated on this site suggest one produce a more significant response to control questions in order to minimize the significance of any reaction to revelant question. The problem with the polygraph is the LYING is not the only thing that can cause significant responses.  I would have no problem with the polygraph if they were really used how they are supposed to be used - as an investigative aid to direct investigations. Unfortunately, many agencies put too much faith in the polygraph and many people end up getting hurt.

I can agree with much of what you wrote.  However, it is simply not necessarily true that lying causes the body to react.  I think it is more accurate to say guilt (read: internalized concern over being caught) may cause the body to respond.  The whole point of the pre-test "pep talk" is to instill a fear of lying that may not have been there before.

Quote:

3.  We as Americans have the right to disagree with, protest, and attempt to change laws, but we should not merely decide to ignore laws when they don't conform to our agendas.

In general, I strongly agree with you.  As with all things, however, one must ultimately follow one's conscience.

Quote:

4. I think that the endless argument over the validity of the polygraph is a lost cause.  Unfortunately for us, the general public is under the misconception that polygraphs are infalliable and no politician, especially after Sep 11, would in his right mind advocate the end of polygraphs in security investigations base on their validity.  As I've stated before, we must turn to fight to an argument about: 1. How the government selectively uses polygraphs... i.e. us scrubs on the bottom of the barrel are required to undergo polygraphs, but politicians and powerful government officials are not. 2. We have to promote studies to show that polygraphs have not diminished the number of incidents of misconduct in the government. 3. We have to demand that if polygraphs are to be used, which they will be, they should only be used as a tool and not as an executioner.

I would not ignore the fact that the government is missing out on badly needed talent, and hurting loyal Americans in the process, by the use of the polygraph.

Skeptic

IP Logged

Global Moderator

make-believe security.

Reply #14 - Jul 12th, 2002 at 12:09pm
Anonymous,

Quote:
1.  The point that polygraphers expect you to LIE to control questions is not necessary true.  The only expectation is that you have a significant response to these questions.  For example, if a question such as: Have you ever lied to anyone you love, is asked, the idea is that even after you admit all the times you remember having to a loved one, you will still be nervous about the question and therefore have a significant response. A polygrapher would definitely expect you to admit to any serious lie, i.e. having been involved in a crime, adultery, etc.

I think the polygraph community's term of art "probable-lie control question" adequately summarizes how polygraphers expect subjects to reply to these questions.

Quote:
2.  I do believe polygraphs detect deception and so do you!  The fact is polygraphs detect bodily reactions and Lying does cause the body to react.  Even countermeasures prove this point... The countermeasures advocated on this site suggest one produce a more significant response to control questions in order to minimize the significance of any reaction to revelant question. The problem with the polygraph is the LYING is not the only thing that can cause significant responses.  I would have no problem with the polygraph if they were really used how they are supposed to be used - as an investigative aid to direct investigations. Unfortunately, many agencies put too much faith in the polygraph and many people end up getting hurt.

No, I don't believe that polygraphs detect deception. They record relative changes in certain bodily functions on the basis of which polygraphers make inferences about a subject's truthfulness or deceptiveness. And as Skeptic correctly observed, lying may or may not cause one's body to react in ways that are measurable by the polygraph.

Quote:
3.  We as Americans have the right to disagree with, protest, and attempt to change laws, but we should not merely decide to ignore laws when they don't conform to our agendas.

As a practical matter, whether to observe or ignore laws is a decision that most of us make daily. For example, shall you observe the speed limit of 55 m.p.h. or go with the flow of traffic that's zipping along at 70? Or will you go out of your way to pay the sales tax you legally owe to your state government on an item that you purchased from another state (by mail or over the Internet), and on which you did not pay out-of-state sales tax?

With regard to the otherwise truthful person who employs countermeasures during an employment-related polygraph interrogation, but falsely denies having employed countermeasures, or having researched polygraphy, I believe there is no ethical violation. There's a legal maxim fraus meritur fraudem (fraud merits fraud). In the case of polygraph screening, the fraud being perpetrated by the state merits the citizen's use of deception to protect himself against that fraud. As English playwright Henry Chettle wrote, "'Tis no deceit to deceive the deceiver."

In my opinion, any violation of 18 USC 1001 in such circumstances would be at worst a malum prohibitum (defined by Black's Law Dictionary as "...a thing which is wrong because it is prohibited; an act which is not inherently immoral, but becomes so because its commission is expressly forbidden by positive law...") and not a malum in se ("[a] wrong in itself; an act or case involving illegality from the very nature of the transaction, upon principles of natural, moral, and public law...").

In any event, for the otherwise truthful person who falsely denies knowledge of and/or having used countermeasures, the risk is negligible that:

1) Any federal agency would make a criminal referral under 18 USC 1001 based on a polygrapher's suspicions that a subject had lied about knowledge and/or use of countermeasures;

2) Any federal prosecutor would bring an indictment based on such suspicions.

Quote:
4. I think that the endless argument over the validity of the polygraph is a lost cause.  Unfortunately for us, the general public is under the misconception that polygraphs are infalliable and no politician, especially after Sep 11, would in his right mind advocate the end of polygraphs in security investigations base on their validity.  As I've stated before, we must turn to fight to an argument about: 1. How the government selectively uses polygraphs... i.e. us scrubs on the bottom of the barrel are required to undergo polygraphs, but politicians and powerful government officials are not. 2. We have to promote studies to show that polygraphs have not diminished the number of incidents of misconduct in the government. 3. We have to demand that if polygraphs are to be used, which they will be, they should only be used as a tool and not as an executioner.

I disagree with your supposition that the general public is under the misconception that polygraphs are infallible. Most Americans seem to believe that polygraphy is an admittedly fallible but nonetheless science-based methodology. This misconception can and must be corrected. We're working toward that end, and are having some success in reaching those most directly affected by governmental reliance on polygraphy. When enough employees and applicants who are subject to polygraph screening become aware that the "test" is a fraud, the polygraph house of cards will collapse.

As you may be aware, the National Academy of Sciences (NAS) is conducting a review of the scientific evidence on the polygraph. The public meetings held by the polygraph review committee were well attended by senior members of the federal polygraph community. Their trepidation over the committee's ultimate conclusions and policy recommendations was quite apparent. (At the public meeting held on 23 July 2001, Dr. Andrew J. Ryan, chief of research at DoDPI, made what was essentially an appeal for clemency.) The NAS report is due later this summer, and I anticipate that it will give quite a boost to the antipolygraph effort.

With regard to politicians in their right minds not advocating the end of polygraphs in security investigations post 9-11, note that the Philadelphia Police Department abolished polygraph screening for applicants in May of this year. Nonetheless, I agree with you that post 9-11 exigencies make it politically difficult for decision makers to take a public stance against polygraph screening. The alternative arguments against polygraphy that you propose all have merit, and you'll find them reflected in Chapter 2 of The Lie Behind the Lie Detector (on polygraph policy). But the key argument that polygraphy is a pseudoscientific fraud is a compelling one that we will continue to vociferously put forth.

George W. Maschke
IP Logged

DOD Polygraphs

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X