Normal Topic 4th NAS Polygraph Meeting Tapes On-line (Read 4762 times)
Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

4th NAS Polygraph Meeting Tapes On-line
Sep 4th, 2001 at 9:29am
Mark & QuoteQuote Print Post  
On 23 July 2001, the National Academy of Sciences/National Research Council polygraph committee held its fourth meeting (which was its 3rd public meeting). A udio recordings of that meeting are now available on the NAS website in RealPlayer format. The following list provides a link to each audio file in the series, along with a brief (and by no means exhaustive) description of the contents:

File 1: Committee chairman Stephen Fienberg opens meeting. Introductions. Professor Charles R. Honts, Boise State University begins presentation on polygraphy.

File 2: Professor Honts continues, speaking about polygraph countermeasures. States that polygraphers cannot detect polygraph countermeasures such as those available on AntiPolygraph.org. Mentions a pending laboratory study in which [url]The Lie Behind the Lie Detector[/url] will be used to train countermeasure subjects. Harsh criticism of the Department of Defense Polygraph Institute (DoDPI). Professor William G. Iacono, Univesity of Minnesota, begins presentation; discusses a hypothetical "Test for Academic Dishonesty."

File 3: Professor Iacono continues.

File 4: Professor Iacono continues, concludes. Professor Emanuel Donchin of the University of Illinois begins remarks on brain-related technologies.

File 5: Professor Donchin continues. John Harris of the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory begins remarks on computerized scoring of polygraph data.

File 6: John Harris continues.

File 7: Dr. Sheila S. Reed, the developer of the Test for Espionage and Sabotage, begins her remarks about 2/3 into this file.

File 8: Dr. Reed continues.

File 9: Discussion. Professor Honts talks about polygraph screening. Dr. Andrew Ryan, chief of the DoDPI research division, speaks on the nature of scientific progress, in what seems to be a plea for the committee's indulgence of polygraphy. David Renzelman, Department of Energy (DOE) polygraph program chief, gives short talk, mentioning that he forbids the use of computerized scoring with DOE polygraph exams.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box wannabe
Ex Member

Re: 4th NAS Polygraph Meeting Tapes On-line
Reply #1 - Sep 4th, 2001 at 12:41pm
George,

great post, listening now, although the link was incorrect on the page I simply edited the link to get to the document and I found this document interesting , I am not sure if this document has or has not been referenced here but thought I would post it
http://www.stoeltingco.com/polygph2/html/peerreview.html

and heres another little gem I came across, not sure if it is helpful or not nevertheless it has to do with poly so......

http://slate.msn.com/code/thefray/theFray.asp?m=1584370

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box Post

Reply #2 - Sep 4th, 2001 at 6:18pm
Some good information here.  George didn't you testify before the committee?  Is that available anywhere?  Glad to see the discussion regarding the algorithims and computerized scoring.  I can't recall anything I've read that supports their accuracy.  Thats probably why most federal agencies don't use them.  I'd be careful with the Stoetling link though.  While they are bashing the APL algorithim, they are promoting their own version of the algorithim, without providing any of the research regarding its reliability.

IP Logged

Paste Member Name in Quick Reply Box George W. Maschke
Global Moderator

Make-believe science yields
make-believe security.

Reply #3 - Sep 4th, 2001 at 7:08pm
Post,

The committee invited me to speak at its 2nd public meeting, which was held on 25 April in Washington, D.C. For a link to the audio file, see my post My Remarks at the 2nd NAS Polygraph Meeting.

George W. Maschke
I am generally available in the chat room from 3 AM to 3 PM Eastern time.
Tel/SMS: 1-202-810-2105 (Please use Signal Private Messenger or WhatsApp to text or call.)
E-mail/iMessage/FaceTime: antipolygraph.org@protonmail.com
Wire: @ap_org
Threema: A4PYDD5S
Personal Statement: "Too Hot of a Potato"
IP Logged

4th NAS Polygraph Meeting Tapes On-line

Please type the characters that appear in the image. The characters must be typed in the same order, and they are case-sensitive.
Open Preview Preview

You can resize the textbox by dragging the right or bottom border.
Insert Hyperlink Insert FTP Link Insert Image Insert E-mail Insert Media Insert Table Insert Table Row Insert Table Column Insert Horizontal Rule Insert Teletype Insert Code Insert Quote Edited Superscript Subscript Insert List /me - my name Insert Marquee Insert Timestamp No Parse
Bold Italicized Underline Insert Strikethrough Highlight

Change Text Color
Insert Preformatted Text Left Align Centered Right Align
resize_wb
resize_hb

Max 200000 characters. Remaining characters:
Text size: pt
More Smilies
View All Smilies
Collapse additional features Collapse/Expand additional features Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips Sealed Undecided Kiss Cry
Attachments More Attachments Allowed file types: txt doc docx ics psd pdf bmp jpe jpg jpeg gif png swf zip rar tar gz 7z odt ods mp3 mp4 wav avi mov 3gp html maff pgp gpg
Maximum Attachment size: 500000 KB
Attachment 1:
X